• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think NYC is missing ?

MsMcGillicuddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ssnyc
Anyone who can't find good Mexican or Chinese food isn't looking hard enough. A Din Tai Fung would be nice though.
I spent seven years looking for good Mexican food in NYC. I found passable Oaxacan and fairly good tex-mex, but in general, never had anything amazing. Of course now I'm in the UK and would give my right arm for some food of even that low quality. Edit: NYC is missing the feel of the European cities. I agree with the Parisian sidewalk cafe comment. And there are way too many steel and glass boxes. After spending some time in places like Paris and London, I do think there's something awe-inspiring about their architecture. But NYC wouldn't be NYC if it had that feel - that's why you go to Paris or London.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
What is the difference between North and South Indian food?

North Indian: Typical fare that you get at most restaurants. The chicken/lamb/shrimp/etc curries, biryanis, parathas/naan, maa ki daal, etc is your typical north indian fare.

South Indian: idli, dosas (crepes filled with stuff), rasam, lots of rice, coconut and tomato chutneys, uttapam etc is typical south indian food.

There are a couple of good spots in Curry Hill that serve solid south indian food. Had lunch at sarvana bhavan last week and it was excellent.

MHH89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You meant that 517 E 117th St in Manhattan is actually in Queens? Life is complicated

Let's be honest, 117th street is basically Harlem.

I was hoping for a location closer to midtown.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
Let's be honest, 117th street is basically Harlem.

I was hoping for a location closer to midtown.

You want a Costco in midtown? Maybe a Walmart in Soho as well?
laugh.gif

MHH89

Reaction score
You want a Costco in midtown? Maybe a Walmart in Soho as well?
laugh.gif

haha you got me there. I meant a location closer to midtown but located on the westside highway or FDR.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ssnyc
Anyone who can't find good Mexican or Chinese food isn't looking hard enough. A Din Tai Fung would be nice though.

Originally Posted by Manton
SF Chinois blows NYC Chinois out of the tub.

Originally Posted by marc237
Respectfully disagree. The diversity and authenticity of NYC Chinese is superior. Also, Seattle has some amazing Szechuan these days.

Originally Posted by jc138
Wow. Now I want to know what I am missing. Any recommendations?

(For the record, I've lived in LA, SF, NYC and a few places in between, and no place has better Chinese food than NYC -- from what I have had.)

On the other hand, the mexican food is terrible in New York.

Vancouver and Toronto has the best Cantonese food outside of China and Hong Kong, and the Cantonese probably have the most sophisticated of the Chinese cuisines. I find both SF and NYC Chinese food to be severely lacking compared to Chinese food in Vancouver and Toronto. Any random strip Mall in North TO has top notch Chinese places.

Originally Posted by dv3
Yes, there are pockets of cleanliness.

I think DC has more homeless folks lying around.

Don't get me wrong, I love the city and hope to move there soon. But give me a break guys, it's a dirty city! One shining example: train (subway) stations. Compare these to those in, say, DC or London. They are disgusting--though better than they were a few years ago.

San Francisco has gotta have the worse homeless problem in NA. Way, way, worse than NYC.

What NYC does lack is a truly great shop. You can find probably a wider ranger of product in NYC than anywhere else in North America, sure. But the stores all seem so focused that there is not one store that really, regularly, surprises me, the way, say, that Maxfield in LA does.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
San Francisco has gotta have the worse homeless problem in NA. Way, way, worse than NYC.

+1. You're tripping over them in SF.

As for the homeless person ******** in NY, it does happen on the Subway entrance stairs. I've seen it a number of times.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

I think this is the most SF-approved smiley other than
foo.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
I think this is the most SF-approved smiley other than
foo.gif

Don't forget
6448.gif

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc138
Wow. Now I want to know what I am missing. Any recommendations?

(For the record, I've lived in LA, SF, NYC and a few places in between, and no place has better Chinese food than NYC -- from what I have had.)

On the other hand, the mexican food is terrible in New York.

LA and SF are basically the Chinese food mecca's in America......

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
House and garden topiary... just like Hollywood.
Take a look at some of the penthouse terraces on the Upper East Side.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Take a look at some of the penthouse terraces on the Upper East Side.

On the mainline to Harlem, you wonder if... Desdemona, waiting for you... Something's gotta give...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matcpow