• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soy Milk....good or bad?

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the fact that extra cartons of non-dairy "milk" can be stored in the cupboard until needed -- prevents me from having to go to the store every time I run out of milk and want some cereal. Other than this, I don't see any advantage of these products over ordinary milk.

jerimiyah

Reaction score
What i know about soy is that its good for those who are lactose intolerant. I drink that because i have bad case of diarrhea when i drink cow's milk. Its a great alternative to regular milk and much healthier.

Ozarks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
I like the fact that extra cartons of non-dairy "milk" can be stored in the cupboard until needed -- prevents me from having to go to the store every time I run out of milk and want some cereal. Other than this, I don't see any advantage of these products over ordinary milk.

My friends currently in Europe said most of their dairy milk comes in aseptic packaging and they store it for months at a time. I only ever see it with soy/rice milk in the states though.

insomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
I am trying to grow moobs for the stage production of Fight Club, in which I have been cast as Bob. Would you recommend soy milk?

I read a study that said using products with lavender (shaving cream/lotion) on young boys produces moobs. How old are you? I would try that.
biggrin.gif

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfermented soy is not a good idea:

http://www.naturalnews.com/027358_soy_food_GMO.html

"What's So Bad About Soy?
Soybeans naturally contain a host of anti-nutrients and toxins, including trypsin inhibitors, hemaglutinin, phytic acid, and phytoestrogens.

The potent trypsin inhibitors present in soy significantly curtail protein absorption, causing abdominal distress due to hampered absorption of crucial nutrients and amino acids. Animals fed diets that contained large amounts of trypsin inhibitors developed pancreatic problems including cancer.

Hemaglutinin is a substance that is responsible for causing red blood cells to clump together and form clots. Both trypsin inhibitors and hemaglutinin have been deemed "growth depressant substances" for their contributions in stunting essential bodily functions.

Phytic acid, or phytates, is another nutrient absorption inhibitor that deters the uptake of essential minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc. Present in the bran of seeds, phytic acid will offset the intake of nutrients by stopping their absorption within the intestinal track, leading to severe mineral deficiencies. Zinc, the "intelligence mineral", is the one most completely blocked by soy phytates. Soy has also been shown to have the highest phytic acid content of any other grain or legume ever studied.

Phytoestrogens are chemical compounds found in some plants that mimic the estrogen hormone. Soy products are particularly rich in isoflavone phytoestrogens which are capable of significantly disrupting human hormonal balance, particularly in men. A study conducted by Harvard University revealed a definitive correlation between soy consumption and low sperm counts in men, indicating that high soy consumption can instigate reproductive harm and suppress testosterone levels.

Genetic Engineering
To add insult to injury, the GMO Compass database records that as of 2008, 92% of soy crops in the U.S. are genetically modified varieties. GMOs are continually shown in independent studies to cause serious harm in the human body, a frightening prospect when considering that soy derivatives are found in virtually every processed food product.

One of the most prevalent culprits is soy lecithin, an emulsifier that is added to processed foods to stabilize the ingredients with one another. Soybean oil is another popular additive found in all kinds of foods from mayonnaise and salad dressings to cakes and breads. Besides the fact that they are soy-based and highly prevalent, these ingredients are most often derived from GMO soybeans.

Even organic products may contain GMO soy lecithin since this particular ingredient falls outside the realm of organic requirements, a controversial loophole that many have taken charge to have changed. Most organic products specify non-GMO soy lecithin but it is always important to investigate and verify.

Eat Soy Sparingly, and Only Organic
The proper way to eat soy is whole, organic, fermented, and sparingly. Soy milk, tofu, soy nuts, and other popular food items are essentially toxic due to the inherent toxic properties of unfermented soy. Many of these products are also highly processed and genetically-modified."

Intelligent Design

Reaction score
My nutritionist had a spastic attack at me when I suggested switching from soy to rice milk.

The post above is full of bullyang, as the name of the site (natural news, lol) implies. There's a lot of implications there based on what is pseudo-science at best.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think soy lecithin granules are great stuff. The milk is disgusting though.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Intelligent Design
My nutritionist had a spastic attack at me when I suggested switching from soy to rice milk.

The post above is full of bullyang, as the name of the site (natural news, lol) implies. There's a lot of implications there based on what is pseudo-science at best.

So, you think the "real" science comes from the multi-billion dollar soy industry?

Fine. Believe the hype. There are lots of other sources that all agree that unfermented soy is not a healthy product. It's your body.

jlluch

Reaction score
You're right, there is plenty of research out there about the "dangers" of soy. there are also thousands of pages of research of the "dangers" of milk. i don't see you citing any of those studies. BTW, the Weston A. Price Foundation, which is where some or most of that article that you posted is from, is HEAVILY anti vegetarian.... What a coincedence! Consider the source yourself before you tell others to do the same.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the point in worrying about this **** so much. By the time you come to a conclusion, your head will have been spinning so fast you'll probably have gained 50 pounds from stress alone.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
If you get unsweentened soy milk you probably won't drink as much (most of it is sweetened). I rotate between moo milk and soy milk, can't beat soy milk for shelf life. It's hard to find boxed moo milk in the US.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jlluch
You're right, there is plenty of research out there about the "dangers" of soy. there are also thousands of pages of research of the "dangers" of milk. i don't see you citing any of those studies. BTW, the Weston A. Price Foundation, which is where some or most of that article that you posted is from, is HEAVILY anti vegetarian.... What a coincedence! Consider the source yourself before you tell others to do the same.

"Anti-vegetarian?" LOL!

I don't drink cow's milk, either. And if I did, I would buy local, unpasteurized dairy products.

I don't eat any highly-processed foods.

People are free to eat soy till it comes out their ears. I don't really care.

People are free to think that in Asia people eat nothing but soy and rice, I don't care.

Soy is loaded with chemicals that make it inedible unless it is bathed in additional chemicals and highly processed. If people choose to eat foods that are inedible unless highly processed and bathed in chemicals and then make it a large part of their diet, they stand to make themselves ill. But in the long run, I don't really care.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We could go back and forth with this forever.

"Soya veggie burgers and sausages generally use the same chemically extracted fraction of the bean. This meal is the product of the industrial crushing process the vast majority of the world's soya beans go through. The raw beans are broken down to thin flakes, which are then percolated with a petroleum-based hexane solvent to extract the soya oil. The remains of the flakes are toasted and ground to a protein meal, most of which goes into animal feed. Soya flour is made in a similar way. The oil then goes through a process of cleaning, bleaching, degumming and deodorising to remove the solvent and the oil's characteristic "off" smells and flavours. The lecithin that forms a heavy sludge in the oil during storage used to be regarded as a waste product, but now it has been turned into a valuable market in its own right as an emulsifier."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2006/...d.foodanddrink

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/processed-soy-products/

Most of the overly-processed soy stuff Americans eat is crap. It's my opinion. And it appears to be scientifically proven by more than two scientists. The reason I know so much about this is that I was a vegetarian for 10 years and still only eat organic, farm-raised, grass-fed meats on rare occasions.

And I really don't care if you choose to eat it. I just like to present an alternate view for those who might like to hear it.

Intelligent Design

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
So, you think the "real" science comes from the multi-billion dollar soy industry?

Fine. Believe the hype. There are lots of other sources that all agree that unfermented soy is not a healthy product. It's your body.

This is not what I said, but I can tell that you think your response is very clever.

Sorry for insulting your pseudo science. If you want to go all organic that's up to you - as you said, you are welcome to "believe the hype".
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8