• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Where did you get that jacket?"

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff

the OP lives for that moment.

Only on Style Forum, my boy. In life, my clients are too busy gushing about my work.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I know it's harsh but you can't live making excuses all the time for the personal choices you make.

It's not harsh at all ... as I made no excuse for my choice ... or any choice for that matter.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had this happen last week. I walked into a room and one of my colleagues said "nice suit".
I said "thanks."
"That looks very good on you"
"Thank you"
"Where did you get it."
"Davies"
"Who's that?"
"A Tailor"
"That's why it looks so good on you. It's very nice."
"Thank you. I know you get all your suits at Brioni; those look good on you, too."

The conversation was awkward, but only because the poor other fellow sitting there had to listen to it. Fortunately, my friend launched into a discussion on the Brioni article that had just appeared in the times (about them branching into T-shirts and polo knits) and his theory on the end of suits, Hollywood tuxedos, etc.
I generally try to answer without giving names, mostly because I don't like giving names, so I'll say an English tailor or a local tailor when asked. But if someone asks for more specifics, I am happy to give them. But how I respond also depends on who else is listening.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You deal with cretins, what you do w. your money won't change the amount of money they paid... I know it's harsh but you can't live making excuses all the time for the personal choices you make.
agree with this. a smart client pays his consultant based on the value of the services he provides, not by a qualitative judgment of what lifestyle those fees support. if RSS's advice was worth a million bucks to me, then i would cheerfully pay that much and not care if he used my money to fly Cesare Attolini himself to his doorstep to do fittings

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
The original post of this thread isn't exactly informative about things Savile Row in any substantive sense of style. But, in terms of the issue ... the origin of the coat is essential.

Did it occur to me that mentioning Savile Row might have others infer something unintended? Well, yes ... it did ... hence my post. And because some have ... it serves to reinforce why I hesitated mentioning Savile Row to my client.

I assume from your comments here and in the OP that this client and/or her husband would have looked askance at hiring an architect who would go in for the conspicuous consumption of Saville Row bespoke. (The situation would be much different if they wore bespoke too, and she were angling for a tip as to which tailor they should visit the next time they are in London.)

I would take one of two routes. On the one hand, I might feign forgetfullness and try to change the subject. If however I expect the questioner to be a real bulldog about it and not give up on the question until she gets an answer, I'd turn the answer into a 30 second story that casts you in an appropriate light for owning such a garment.

Given the forwardness of her question, a little bit of obfuscation on your part is not a mortal sin.
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I haven't met you, but I certify your reality anyway.

You have been certified.
Originally Posted by HRoi
agree with this. a smart client pays his consultant based on the value of the services he provides, not by a qualitative judgment of what lifestyle those fees support.

Yes, but in a time of fiscal restraint and belt-tightening, it's not always prudent to be seen tightening an aligator-skin belt with an Italian sterling silver buckle.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just tell them it's Alfani.

Sadly enough, this might be a more respectable answer to some people who know nothing about fashion.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4

Yes, but in a time of fiscal restraint and belt-tightening, it's not always prudent to be seen tightening an aligator-skin belt with an Italian sterling silver buckle.

QFT

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I had this happen last week. I walked into a room and one of my colleagues said "nice suit".
I said "thanks."
"That looks very good on you"
"Thank you"
"Where did you get it."
"Davies"
"Who's that?"
"A Tailor"
"That's why it looks so good on you. It's very nice."
"Thank you. I know you get all your suits at Brioni; those look good on you, too."

The conversation was awkward, but only because the poor other fellow sitting there had to listen to it. Fortunately, my friend launched into a discussion on the Brioni article that had just appeared in the times (about them branching into T-shirts and polo knits) and his theory on the end of suits, Hollywood tuxedos, etc.
I generally try to answer without giving names, mostly because I don't like giving names, so I'll say an English tailor or a local tailor when asked. But if someone asks for more specifics, I am happy to give them. But how I respond also depends on who else is listening.

maybe he was hitting on you. . hoho.

IN all seriousness, how can you tell by visual inspection where a suit is made? e.g. you knew his suits are all from Brioni? Just office gossip?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I respond with the retail price.

"Oh I love your jeans where did you..."

"$300!"

+1.

"Those are nice shoes, where....."

"More than you can likely afford for a pair of shoes."

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A lot of times, people who ask about things like this don't really care about the answer. They're just asking as a form of compliment. So, my initial approach is just to smile and say something like "Thank you, thank you. I love your [tie, jacket, dress, etc.]." At that point, anyone who truly wants to know will persist to ask again and I tell them the answer.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
maybe he was hitting on you. . hoho.
I know this person very well. He's straight, but probably pass the age where it matters.
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
IN all seriousness, how can you tell by visual inspection where a suit is made? e.g. you knew his suits are all from Brioni? Just office gossip?
The subject has come up before. It could be that he volunteered it, or even that I asked him at some point - he is a Californian, by birth and predilection, but every once in a while he wears suits and they look very good.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
A lot of times, people who ask about things like this don't really care about the answer. They're just asking as a form of compliment. So, my initial approach is just to smile and say something like "Thank you, thank you. I love your [tie, jacket, dress, etc.]." At that point, anyone who truly wants to know will persist to ask again and I tell them the answer.

Considering the "How to Get Foof's Look" spread in Esquire, I don't see much point in you obfuscating anymore.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Considering the "How to Get Foof's Look" spread in Esquire, I don't see much point in you obfuscating anymore.

Are you saying my answer should just be "Polo"?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thank those who choose to share advice.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sofiacaleb7449