• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No One Cares

allcapitan

Reaction score
I often sweat the details. As do many of us. A quarter inch here, a half inch there, an eight of an inch elsewhere. We want things to be PERFECT. If it gives you any comfort, no one cares. Seriously, as long as you are in the ball park (as in, clothed vs. naked), 99.5% of the population is not paying attention.

I've gotten compliments on clothing items that cost me $5 (or less), and I've been approached by girls even when I was wearing the slummiest gym clothes.

The way our society is, there is so much leeway for how a man dresses, the bullseye for "getting it right" is about as big as the pacific ocean.

So, wear what you want, take pride in it, but generally speaking, no one cares. It's really amazing how little people care about men's fashion sense, even though we pay so much attention to it.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Internet is great in that it's provided a forum for people with similar interests to congregate and yak about said interest. The other side of the coin is that this also creates a sealed off world where minute details within these interests become magnified and obsessed about. Does the average person care about the aspect ratio of a DVD? Nah. Does the average baseball fan care (or even know) about sabermetrics? God no. Does the average guy or girl really notice how well cut your BoO shirt is? No, they're wondering where the dragon graphic is.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
The Internet is great in that it's provided a forum for people with similar interests to congregate and yak about said interest. The other side of the coin is that this also creates a sealed off world where minute details within these interests become magnified and obsessed about. Does the average person care about the aspect ratio of a DVD? Nah. Does the average baseball fan care (or even know) about sabermetrics? God no. Does the average guy or girl really notice how well cut your BoO shirt is? No, they're wondering where the dragon graphic is.

Wondering where the dragon graphic is? What kinda kids you hang out with? The BoO shirts always seem to get compliments.

Caring about details just makes the whole image a lot better.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
looking good and having people notice is pretty much just about confidence. unless we're talking satin harem pants or some other kind of sartorial bludgeon.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
looking good and having people notice is pretty much just about confidence. unless we're talking satin harem pants or some other kind of sartorial bludgeon.
SoCal could rock em. To OP: I agree for the most part, but going through the old WAYWT thread there are certain outfits I see on here where the details are exactly right. It creates a powerful sort of gestalt effect; the whole fit just oozes style. E.g.: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=36921

oroy38

Reaction score
A lot of the times people like us forget about this. We get so caught up in these minute details and we obsess about them and think they're blatantly obvious to people. Nobody really notices whether we have cuff showing, if our trousers break a tad sloppily, or if our shoes are bespoke. It's true that all the small details do enhance the overall image, but most people really don't care or notice. Like Mharwitt said, looking good and being noticed stems from exuding confidence. I get caught up in the details just like all of us, but sometimes we do need a little wake up call to make us relax a little bit.

For example: I went to a college ball held by my college in which the invitations were noted "Black Tie." Any of us would have instantly assumed "Tuxedo" but this being a college sponsored event, I emailed the organizers and asked if they really meant Black Tie in the traditional sense or just "Throw on a Suit and Tie if you have one, and if you don't, a shirt and tie is fine too." Turns out they meant the latter, and so a day later I picked up my suit from the tailors, and when my girlfriend and I arrived at the ball, it struck me how many people wore ill-fitting suits and thought they looked and fit fine. Then it struck me how much their lady friends didn't really notice or care. It's kind of funny how we obsess over things like trouser break, and instead of being noticed for our sharp look, it's all for self-gratification. But then again, is there anything wrong with being satisfied with the fit of your clothes? I think not.

k4ppah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
But then again, is there anything wrong with being satisfied with the fit of your clothes? I think not.

I agree, and as a few people mentioned if looking good is all about confidence, then people like us that notice the details feel a lot more confident in knowing that we're doing it right.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4ppah
I agree, and as a few people mentioned if looking good is all about confidence, then people like us that notice the details feel a lot more confident in knowing that we're doing it right.

zactly.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
People notice details, they just can't pinpoint them.

Exactly. In general I think people can see that some people look pretty sharp in their suits while some people just look kinda normal. I can't really notice the exact details either when I see a guy in a poorly fitted suit.

But I also agree that once you get into that ballpark no one really cares. I'm 16 and I go to high school and I don't feel like buying $1xx on a shirt or jeans but I try and emulate the style and one day when this girl said my $20 (originally $50) jeans had a really nice color and she would wear them if they were my size this other guy said "He always dresses good" even though I usually rotate between $10 Uniqlo graphic T-shirts and I just throw on a Gap/BR sweater that doesn't fit me that well in the winter and I rotate between my blue and black uniqlo slim jeans.

Tom R

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
It's really amazing how little people care about men's fashion sense, even though we pay so much attention to it.

The details of fit are to mens' style what the bass guitar is to a lot of rock music. The average person may not be consciously aware of them, but the end product sounds (or in our case, looks) better for it.

I think the result is tangible enough that our obsessiveness makes a difference.

super

Reaction score
Another thing i think is that dressing and being on style forum should really be about having fun.

Sometimes people stress out about small trivial stuff like the OP suggested but really noone cares that much and its often not as bad as one on this forum might think.

But yeah, people are right in saying you really are dressing for yourself, nothing wrong with that, but always remember to not be too obsessive about it and have fun!

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
FFS, we dress for ourselves and THEN for other people.

Unless you're Teger in which case you dress for SoCal's amusement and bucks.

we have a winnar

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member