• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
I wear progressive lenses. When I visited my ophthalmologist he suggested I try free form progressives explaining that they have a wider field of vision and are easier to accommodate the transition from far to near vision. I understand free form uses the latest CAD technology to grind the lenses. Could you explain in layman's terms what free form lenses all about and your opinion of them. Thanks
I will try to explain it as well as I understand it. First off, I will explain how older lenses were designed and how the newer free form lenses are made. Lenses are ground down from a block of plastic to the lens shape by grinding the back and front surface of the lens. Think of it as scooping out parts of lens with an ice cream scooper to make it into the correct shape and prescription. These lenses are made in a regular "generator". Now "Free Form", (which term is misused in the industry, free form is the machine that cuts the lenses NOT the actual lens) is more beneficial because instead of taking scoops from the back of the lens, it takes out little pin points at a time. Think of it as using a laser pointer to pin point each and every point of the lens that you want to grind. These kinds of lenses are called "digital" surfaced lenses, NOT free form. Free Form is the technology of the machines that cut them. Think of it as a sewing machine and shirt. The sewing machine is not the shirt and the shirt is not the sewing machine. Hope this helps, let me know if I can help out any more. It is a lot easier to understand if I can show you my hand gestures.
smile.gif

Millerp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I will try to explain it as well as I understand it. First off, I will explain how older lenses were designed and how the newer free form lenses are made. Lenses are ground down from a block of plastic to the lens shape by grinding the back and front surface of the lens. Think of it as scooping out parts of lens with an ice cream scooper to make it into the correct shape and prescription. These lenses are made in a regular "generator". Now "Free Form", (which term is misused in the industry, free form is the machine that cuts the lenses NOT the actual lens) is more beneficial because instead of taking scoops from the back of the lens, it takes out little pin points at a time. Think of it as using a laser pointer to pin point each and every point of the lens that you want to grind. These kinds of lenses are called "digital" surfaced lenses, NOT free form. Free Form is the technology of the machines that cut them. Think of it as a sewing machine and shirt. The sewing machine is not the shirt and the shirt is not the sewing machine. Hope this helps, let me know if I can help out any more. It is a lot easier to understand if I can show you my hand gestures.
smile.gif

Thank you. Your explanation does help. I have been wearing corrective lenses since I was five years old and always try to avail myself of the latest technology when it is recommended to me.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
Thank you. Your explanation does help. I have been wearing corrective lenses
since I was five years old and always try to avail myself of the latest technology
when it is recommended to me.

Great news. The Acuvue Oasys is available for presbyopia.
smile.gif

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the Gilt sale coming up tomorrow on Paul Smith sunglasses, I'm curious about the way they generally fit, if they do have a general fit. I have a fairly large face. I wear the middle Persol 649 size. Should I stay away from the Paul Smith sunglasses until I'm able to try them on?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some help finding new glasses. I'd like to pick up a pair of prescription eyeglasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses. I'd wear contacts more often, but the air is so dry here that I have to constantly put drops in my eyes. My face is fairly long and narrow, so the more modern short frames/lenses really don't look good on me. I typically wear a pair of rimless glasses with smaller lenses. Most of the time I think these look ok, but they are getting old and on the verge of falling apart. Difficulty arises even when trying to think of what style glasses to get. Almost everything at the local shops is modern, but I tend to wear vintage-inspired clothing.
3733249545_07a7d9b79c_o.jpg
3635364423_73b4eb3821_o.jpg
I don’t want to spend the time and money dealing with vintage glasses from the internet, because who knows if they’ll fit or be durable enough for everyday use. Many of the vintage-inspired glasses seem to fit more with trad/prep wear, rather than workwear. For sunglasses, I’ve considered the Moscot Lemtosh in blonde with brown lenses. I frequently can't wear plastic frames because the bridge of my nose is high, but these might accommodate.
3755346861_66c969faab_o.jpg
Opinions on whether these would these look even halfway decent on me? I’m at a loss as to what to get for eyeglasses.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
I need some help finding new glasses. I'd like to pick up a pair of prescription eyeglasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses. I'd wear contacts more often, but the air is so dry here that I have to constantly put drops in my eyes. My face is fairly long and narrow, so the more modern short frames/lenses really don't look good on me. I typically wear a pair of rimless glasses with smaller lenses. Most of the time I think these look ok, but they are getting old and on the verge of falling apart. Difficulty arises even when trying to think of what style glasses to get. Almost everything at the local shops is modern, but I tend to wear vintage-inspired clothing. I don’t want to spend the time and money dealing with vintage glasses from the internet, because who knows if they’ll fit or be durable enough for everyday use. Many of the vintage-inspired glasses seem to fit more with trad wear, rather than workwear. For sunglasses, I’ve considered the Moscot Lemtosh in blonde with brown lenses. I frequently can't wear plastic frames because the bridge of my nose is high, but these might accommodate. Opinions on whether these would these look even halfway decent on me? I’m at a loss as to what to get for eyeglasses.
I am going to give you my suggestion, please dont be offended by how I describe your face shape, I am just trying to be straight with you. I would suggest that you get frame that is not too wide, narrow would be much better. Also, look into frames that have a bit more depth. It will give the illusion that you face is less long. In terms of frames, vintages are very unique BUT when shopping for vintages, you will USUALLY be compromising because it is rare that you find the perfect pair that you like and that look good on you. Usually with vintages, either you will like it and not look good on you OR you wont like it but it will look good on you. If you find something that looks good on you and you like it, you're in luck. With that said, Rimless are the complete opposite because you can customize the shape of your lenses. With the newer tracers (copies the shape of the lens to cut them) you can literally put a pen on the screen and draw the shape you want. My suggestion though would be to get a pair of narrow plastic frames with a bit more depth (think more of a square shape). By picking a plastic frame it will put more emphasis on the middle of your face and take away from it's length. Also by having a frame with a bit more depth, it will give the illusion that your face is less long because of the proportions, think of it as wearing vertical stripes for someone short. Also because your nose is big, try finding one where the bridge is fairly high on the lenses. That will make the lenses look like they are fitting lower. Hope this helps. Let us know of you pick a frame.
smile.gif

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, CC! Yeah, I've finally accepted that I need frames that have more depth, which eliminates about 98% of the frames at most of the local shops. I've tended to avoid this with rimless frames because the lenses pretty much disappear.

Can you recommend some narrow plastic frames with some depth? I do have a hard time finding some with a higher bridge. Also, what do you think about color? I tend to shy away from black or dark brown frames because they stand out on my face, especially since I typically shave my head.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CC (or anyone), how does the Persol 649 compare in size to the thinner-framed 2931? The typical 649 is a size 52 and the typical 2931 seems to be a 53.

I was disappointed when the 649 didn't work for me, and I'm hoping that this thinner model might. The problem I had with the 649 was that because they aren't as curved as aviators, the width of the frame created a large area of open space between my temples and the arms. It didn't look good.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
CityConnection,
Great thread. I've learned a ton about eyewear from reading it and your blog. But I still have two questions, both of which must seem absurdly basic by this point in the thread.

(1) What do you mean when you say a frame has "depth?" Are you just referring to the vertical length of the frame?

(2) What did you mean when you told Zissou to seek out a "narrow" frame? Did you just mean for him to look for a frame that wasn't made of thick chunky plastic?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Thanks for the help, CC! Yeah, I've finally accepted that I need frames that have more depth, which eliminates about 98% of the frames at most of the local shops. I've tended to avoid this with rimless frames because the lenses pretty much disappear.

Can you recommend some narrow plastic frames with some depth? I do have a hard time finding some with a higher bridge. Also, what do you think about color? I tend to shy away from black or dark brown frames because they stand out on my face, especially since I typically shave my head.

I cant think of any particular frames off the top of my head, but I think you know what kind of style I am suggesting. In terms of color, I would suggest a light tortoise or even a blonde color. I know what most people are thinking, "blond?!?" But it will be something unique and stand out while still being a bit conservative because it will blend in with your complexion. Try on a few and tell us what you think. Look for a blond or dirty blond color, NOT yellow. Anyways, I know my suggestion was a bit out there, but give it a try.
smile.gif

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dexterhaven
CityConnection,
Great thread. I've learned a ton about eyewear from reading it and your blog. But I still have two questions, both of which must seem absurdly basic by this point in the thread.

(1) What do you mean when you say a frame has "depth?" Are you just referring to the vertical length of the frame?

(2) What did you mean when you told Zissou to seek out a "narrow" frame? Did you just mean for him to look for a frame that wasn't made of thick chunky plastic?

Thanks. That's why I created this thread. Something that is common knowledge for me might not be for someone else. A question from you could be answered by me in 1 minute, while you would have to google it for 30 minutes. I got burned in a few threads for asking about washing raw denim and that's why I wanted to start this thread. I'm not here to burn anyone for not knowing something. If I can help, I'll help, sometimes I can't but others can. Thats the beauty of a SF.

In any case.....
1. When I mentioned depth, I meant the "B measurement" which is the vertical height of the lens.
The rule of thumb (not law, just a general idea), it to pick a frame that is opposite to what you look like. Therefore, a squareish shape should pick rounder frames and someone with a short round face would pick something with a bit less depth and square.

2. In terms of narrow, I meant to say something less wide in terms of horizontal width. A smaller eyesize would be good because it looked like he had a relatively narrow face. The worst thing he could do is get a wide pair of glasses because it will make his face look even more narrow. (Sorry Zissou, for discussing about your face
smile.gif
)

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Ok that helps a lot. Thank you. I'm saving money now. Soon I will wow my local optician with my knowledge of anti-reflective coating and high index lenses.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of burberry glasses from lenscrafters. The lenses get dirty soooo easily, i mean one hour and these things have a thin film of oil and streaks on them. I don't even know how.

How often should I spray and clean? Should I spray every time I wipe them?

My last pair did not get dirty this easily, is it the coatings?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
But why make (relatively high end) sunglasses with them? I suppose it could be cost, but I'd be surprised if Salt just wanted to cut corners in that one place. Is it optical quality? It hardly seems worth the tradeoffs in weight and safety. On a related note, are gradients and polarisation always contraindicated? I didn't realise they were until the shop told me last week, and now I'm not sure about what lenses to get for my sunglasses. I wanted a gradient, but if that means they have to be less protective, that doesn't seem worthwhile.
Bump for my question(s). CC, any input on the gradient/polarisation thing? I checked again with the shop, and they said definitely no, and they couldn't really figure out how OP and Salt do it. Gradients without polarisation aren't really protecting, right?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a pair of inexpensive horn-rimmed or faux horn-rimmed frames. I really like the tortoise-shell wayfarers, but I think they might be too thick and chunky. Any suggestion for brands and models to look for? How about places in Manhattan where I can try on a few pairs?

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeem1