• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Items one can cut out of his wardrobe

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive found that one can trim one's wardrobe down considerably & still leave a vast array of combination/looks available. I have done this by limiting the amount of items I own at any given time in every category. I will often rotate some items out via donation or sale when looking to acquire another, often of higher quality. Hence, my wardrobe is dynamic, only increasing in quality not quantity, all the while looking more and more fabulous whist doing it.
bigstar[1].gif
Some examples: Suits: 10 (currently at 9) Shoes: 10 (currently at 10) Belts: 10 (currently at 8) Shirts: 25 (currently at 20) Ties: 25 (currently at 20) Squares:15 (currently at 15)

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wellies.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
Collar stays. Especially redundant if you heavily starch collars!

I buy the cheap plastic ones and keep them all over the place - some in my car, some in my travel bags, my laptop bag. Just in case I'm in a huge rush and don't put them in my shirt I can find a pair nearby. I used to travel a lot and was saved by my backups many times.

I don't starch my shirts at all.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Ive found that one can trim one's wardrobe down considerably & still leave a vast array of combination/looks available.

I have done this by limiting the amount of items I own at any given time in every category. I will often rotate some items out via donation or sale when looking to acquire another, often of higher quality.

Hence, my wardrobe is dynamic, only increasing in quality not quantity, all the while looking more and more fabulous whist doing it.
bigstar[1].gif

Some examples:

Suits: 10 (currently at 9)
Shoes: 10 (currently at 10)
Belts: 10 (currently at 8)
Shirts: 25 (currently at 20)
Ties: 25 (currently at 20)
Squares:15 (currently at 15)

I like this approach.

Where do odd jackets and trousers fit in?

Any such budgeting for items like socks (in case you're a fan of fun socks), watches, tie clips, etc?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
He forgot one sock, one tie and one pair of undies.

Two pairs of undies...

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I like this approach.

Where do odd jackets and trousers fit in?

Any such budgeting for items like socks (in case you're a fan of fun socks), watches, tie clips, etc?

I started to add those in but didn't want to seem OCD
uhoh.gif

Right now I'm down to the 2 essential pairs of trousers one would need; light gray flannel & charcoal flannel. I have 1 tweed odd jacket. I donated 2 other odd coats & a navy blazer which have yet to be replaced.

For the other stuff I don't really have a limit because I don't tend to go overboard with this stuff (although I have been on a manhunt for Incos as of late)

Chinos: 4 pair Incotex, a PRL pinstripe (replaced the Lands' End chinos I used to wear)
Jeans: 1 pair of Levis
Sweaters: 10; 3 cashmere v-neck, 1 cashmere cableknit crewneck, 2 pima v-necks, a few other in lambswool
Polos: 12
Raincoats: 3
Jackets: 4

I keep at least:

Fun socks: 15 pairs
Drab dress socks: 15 pairs
Watches: as many as my box can hold = 4
Tie clips: not a fan
Cufflinks: as many as my box can hold = ~8 pairs

My wife is the manager of my boxers situation so whatever there.
I have way too many t-shirts & will be getting rid of a bunch tonight.

Hope this answers your Q

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no interest in cutting items from my wardrobe as a matter of principle or because of an arbitrary number. I like the diversity that a larger collection provides. I take stuff out only for three reasons (1) doesn't fit anymore (sometime never really did), (2) don't wear/like it anymore, and (3) there's physically no more room.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wardrobe is decided by different factors: Pure aesthetics ,need/practicality,accessibility ,economics,passion mixed with a need for compensation...
I tend to have phases and I tend to buy essentially shoes and suits...
I'm not into belts, socks ,underwears or pocket squares...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I have no interest in cutting items from my wardrobe as a matter of principle or because of an arbitrary number. I like the diversity that a larger collection provides. I take stuff out only for three reasons (1) doesn't fit anymore (sometime never really did), (2) don't wear/like it anymore, and (3) there's physically no more room.

+1.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Didn't any of you guys play Magic: the Gathering in middle school? I always preferred a one or two color deck with the fewest number of cards. A bigger deck with more diverse cards just made it harder to strategize.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Didn't any of you guys play Magic: the Gathering in middle school? I always preferred a one or two color deck with the fewest number of cards. A bigger deck with more diverse cards just made it harder to strategize.

I didn't need to give kids any more reason to pick on me in junior high.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweedy bag