• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Finally Got A Personal Trainer

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Depletion workouts are pretty silly. They just don't make sense.
You know, you post a bunch of sensible posts and then come along with something like this! Are you seriously suggesting that Lyle McDonald doesn't know what he is talking about?

ShyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
The logic is pretty much you don't need them, so don't eat them.

this is one of the most ignorant comments i have read

of course you need quality carbs,you dumb ****

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
You know, you post a bunch of sensible posts and then come along with something like this! Are you seriously suggesting that Lyle McDonald doesn't know what he is talking about?

Firstly, I never said Lyle McDonald doesn't know what he's talking about. If the best you have is an appeal to authority I can tell you're more interested in being correct with what you've already done than correcting what you've already done.

I've argued this with him before -- the principles behind it are sound but the method is silly. Doing 20 reps and such of something doesn't use a whole lot of energy. Cycle ergometers, rowing machines, biking, and running are all probably better methods of depleting glycogen stores than taking standard strength exercises and ramping up the volume. Even so, adding lots of volume uses more energy but since the energy used is so minimal to begin with it doesn't actually deplete much better.

I could go on and on about this if anyone wants to hear my thoughts on the subject.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShyBoy

this is one of the most arrogant comments I have read. I thought we were done with this kind of toolishness when that prick pee got banned.

I didn't say quality carbs were bad and that you were wrong, I just said that it's certainly possible to get by without them. You've probably never been on a low-carb diet - I suggest you try it, you may find your knowledge about carbs challenged.

ShyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
this is one of the most arrogant comments I have read. I thought we were done with this kind of toolishness when that prick pee got banned.

I didn't say quality carbs were bad and that you were wrong, I just said that it's certainly possible to get by without them. You've probably never been on a low-carb diet - I suggest you try it, you may find your knowledge about carbs challenged.

i am sports nutritionist you fuckin tool,i think i might have an idea what i am talking about

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am sports nutritionist you fuckin tool,i think i might have an idea what i am talking about

This is the internet. I'm sure you've found that many people here are not fond of sports nutritionists.

I am actually not one of them. A sports nutritionist helped me start working out and caring about my health. I may have not gone down the path he has taken, but he certainly helped me start down that path.

ShyBoy

Reaction score
i just find that a lot of ppl lack common sense.Depriving youself of quality carbs is just not beneficial on many levels

mood swings
lack of concentration
bowel and digestive problems caused through lack of fibre
lacking energy,causing less intense workouts
its just not healthy

i have helped may ppl achieve amazing results as long as your eating plan/weights program/cardio is designed to suit your body type

a lot of ppl on this forum just talk a lot of crap,and yet i have not seen them post pics of their own bodies

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's important that you believe in yourself.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mood swings
lack of concentration
bowel and digestive problems caused through lack of fibre
lacking energy,causing less intense workouts
its just not healthy

I have been on a low-carb diet for a while and have experienced none of these symptoms, though I do eat spinach, take a fiber supplement, and mix ground flaxseed with my workout shakes. People who obviously lack fiber have reported otherwise.

I do find my concentration is markedly better when I get enough sleep and supplement with fish oil when I'm eating a lot of fish. I'm a pretty calm guy and don't find my mood swinging a lot, in fact when I'm sated from all the fat I'm eating I feel rather content and peaceful.

In terms of energy and workouts, I find that if anything my energy is better and I like the feeling of working out more when I'm on a low carb diet. You talked about eating for one's body type, I think I may just have a body type that responds well to such a diet. I certainly didn't feel this good when I lived in an asian household and half of what I ate was rice, granola, or some other kind of carb.

ShyBoy

Reaction score
the question i always clients who think they know it all is,
''ok, this is working for you,but what if there is a diet/weights program that is even more beneficial,are you willing to try it?''

basically,you dont know ,what you dont know

even pro bb dexter jacksom,a proponent of low carb diets has changed his way of thinking ,as he has markedly increased his carb intake before contests,resulting in more gains and less fatigue.He just increased his cardio to burn the excess fat

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the question i always clients who think they know it all is,
''ok, this is working for you,but what if there is a diet/weights program that is even more beneficial,are you willing to try it?''

basically,you dont know ,what you dont know

Exactly. I believe we can agree to disagree now.

turbozed

Reaction score

Really it wasn't an ignorant comment. The first part of it, the fact that you don't 'need carbohydrates' is true. You can survive indefinitely without carbohydrates as long as you receive enough energy/nutrition from other sources. Would it be healthy? That's debatable.

Like all arguments, much of the problem lies in ambiguity in wording. "don't eat [carbs]" is a suggestion that doesn't apply to everyone, as some people would benefit from the carbohydrate energy stores. Certainly, those with high activity levels (e.g. athletes) would greatly benefit from having the added energy source that carbs provide.

Similarly, 'of course you need quality carbs,you dumb ****' also doesn't apply to everyone as there are some people are on (practically) zero carb diets and are doing okay based on their goals.

turbozed

Reaction score
post some pics of yourself

What does that prove? I know some people that look healthy in spite of their diets (I used to be one of them). There's probably also some nutritional scientists/doctors that are overweight but know their science. In any case, it's completely inconsequential to your guys' argument.

ShyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
Really it wasn't an ignorant comment. The first part of it, the fact that you don't 'need carbohydrates' is true. You can survive indefinitely without carbohydrates as long as you receive enough energy/nutrition from other sources. Would it be healthy? That's debatable.

Like all arguments, much of the problem lies in ambiguity in wording. "don't eat [carbs]" is a suggestion that doesn't apply to everyone, as some people would benefit from the carbohydrate energy stores. Certainly, those with high activity levels (e.g. athletes) would greatly benefit from having the added energy source that carbs provide.

Similarly, 'of course you need quality carbs,you dumb ****' also doesn't apply to everyone as there are some people are on (practically) zero carb diets and are doing okay based on their goals.

zero carbs? tell me who...

goals? what goals are you talking about?...someone who wants to lose 5 lbs in 2 weeks? You might as well eat cardboard

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPX99