• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Stylish Music to Socialize to

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Anything by The Darkness.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
are you talking about the 2-tone or the third wave? oh wait you didn´t know there where 3 waves of ska? well then your opinion counts a lot to me - not ..

I am well aware of the popular classification of ska eras as "waves." Your apparent knowledge of the same does nothing to mitigate your unappealing frat-ish celebration of a long dead, hideously bastardized genre.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I am well aware of the popular classification of ska eras as "waves." Your apparent knowledge of the same does nothing to mitigate your unappealing frat-ish celebration of a long dead, hideously bastardized genre.

name ONE music genre that couldn´t be described by this, almost everything today is recycled and most musicians should be called karaoke stars - now gtfo ..

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burial is nice.

Anything that creates an atmosphere with breaks works for me.

Also, Bossa Nova...

jkw

Reaction score
Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned, but one many Buddha Bar collections!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
name ONE music genre that couldn´t be described by this, almost everything today is recycled and most musicians should be called karaoke stars - now gtfo ..

Oh snap Magi, you were just schooled!

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about hip hop for starters??? Hip hop is still a contemporary, vibrant genre, with populist appeal as well as critical acclaim. While lacking populist appeal, More experimental rock'n'roll sub genres are full of genuinely innovative, exciting music especially in areas like ambient and drone. Contemporary ska is nowhere close to critically acclaimed (with good reason) and is mostly popular amongst suburban burnouts and fratboys. It was a narrow genre that produced some wonderful music in it's heyday but is now no longer critically respected or popular.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
How about hip hop for starters???

that choice is so utterly marsupialed ..

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that choice is so utterly marsupialed ..
Have you ever listened to the likes of El-P, Cannibal Ox, or Dalek? I don't know THAT much about hip-hop, but unless you've heard these guys you don't have a word to say about hip-hop. And it's not just the more artsy stuff that is good either, Illmatic by Nas is essential listening and Wu-Tang's 36 Chambers is as well. Hip-hop is an absolutely amazing genre which I'm currently trying to become more well versed in. What the hell are you doing in this thread?

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
Hip-hop is an absolutely amazing genre which I'm currently trying to become more well versed in.

you better try to follow that conversation instead of just picking out one sentence. I asked him to name one music genre of today that is not recycled from elements of the past and his example is a music genre that is the prototype of recycling ..

I came into this thread and said ska is a great music to socialize to and it gives everyone a smile, then I got insulted by this horrible unskilled and uneducated troll called magician ..

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you better try to follow that conversation instead of just picking out one sentence. I asked him to name one music genre of today that is not recycled from elements of the past and his example is a music genre that is the prototype of recycling .. I came into this thread and said ska is a great music to socialize to and it gives everyone a smile, then I got insulted by this horrible unskilled and uneducated troll called magician ..
Oh I've been following, Magician just already handled all your other arguments so I felt no need to be redundant. You obviously haven't heard any of the artists or albums I mentioned. All of those artists and albums I listed are produced in ways that are so very original. Then there is stuff like DJ Shadow's Endtroducing..... which was completely different from anything ever done, really. Using samples to create an album. Although music created out of samples had been done before, not for the same reasons, in the genre of hip-hop, or with the same effect. And there are other genres not recycled from elements of the past too. Some breakcore artists have managed to put themselves in this realm, like Xanopticon. Foregoing any semblance of a beat or direction in his music which just pounds your ears as it flows aimlessly from one theme to the next using extremely chopped up samples and dark beats. Find Pulse by 7e Phalanx if you're interested in hearing what I mean about good breakcore... It's a free download, about 13 minutes long. Created by a collective of artists including Xanopticon. It truly blew my mind when I heard it.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You obviously haven't heard any of the artists or albums I mentioned.

I do but I don´t care troll. talking about some artists doesn´t change anything about the point that hip-hop is the prototype of a recycling music genre, period.

quote from wikipedia: "Beats are traditionally generated from portions of other songs by a DJ, or sampled from portions of other songs by a producer"

Oh I've been following, Magician just already handled all your other arguments so I felt no need to be redundant.

he did jackshit, so you haven´t been following. you must be a troll yourself considering the long off-offtopic text you just wrote.

now back to the topic ..

MikkoN

Reaction score
Ska...absolutely.
Will always make interesting conversations.
Highly recommending Studio One Skatalites, but some more modern stuff might work too.
UK based Yardshaker is pretty nice.
Still, better stick to the older stuff .

No?
How about some solid UK house from the 90's?
Robin S, Nightcrawlers...the lot.
Prob is that this thing will work 100% only when played pretty loud.

No?
Barry White!! You really can not go wrong with the walrus of love.
If anyone objects, you should kick them out for sure.

List goes on, but I think these show style + good times for anyone younger than 50.
Of you are older than that...sorry, can not help.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member