• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that you know are "inferior" but still prefer

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Underwear and socks are both disposable, and so I purchase them with utter and complete disregard for quality, construction or fabric.

In that case, try the burlap boxers; they come cheap.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Designer shoes. I know they are not on par with the exclusive shoe makers, but I like their designs and they've worn well. List of atrocities include:

- Prada: 2 sneakers, tan driving shoes
- Armani Exchange: loafer and oxford
- Dolce & Gabbana: brown wing tip and mud suede oxford

To balance this, I have one pair of Santoni FAMs

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to join the GDL Toggle Back Camp. I use them more than anything else.

Here's the rest of my list:
Wearing more than just blue shirts
Gucci resort/summer casual wear
Slides ( I live in Miami for Christ's sake give me a break)
Lindsey Lohan

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I tried to be subtle, now that you brought the subject out in the open, the answer is yes. My question is who're these 2 SF members? The setting looks familiar could be an opera house, or a state capitol.

My feeling is despite evidence to the contrary, it probably isn't a SF Meetup because there is no toilet in the photograph.

It could go either way, however.

- B

emptym

Reaction score
^I think you're engaged in a cover-up. We all know that edmorel's bald and you're old.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several pairs of Lauren diffusion line wool trousers. They fit well and wear like iron. If they get stained, ripped, whatever - they're gone. But nothing ever happens to them and every time I go through the closet for a purge, they manage to survive.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FabIndia shirts for casual wear. One day, I will muster the balls to post a photo in WAYWN, and you will all have a good laugh at my expense.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
FabIndia shirts for casual wear. One day, I will muster the balls to post a photo in WAYWN, and you will all have a good laugh at my expense.

+ 1. Where did you get them? I bought some stuff at the shop in Delhi to wear as pajamas. Very comfy.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For work-horse trousers, I actually love Jack Victor and Riviera. They are about half the price of Zanella or Incotex. Workmanship and fabric quality are both inferior to the next level up. But they fit me pretty well.

And of course this is all relative to what I can afford, since Rubinacci or other bespoke are so far above my price point I don't even really consider them a viable option.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Zara pants. H&M polos. A couple pairs of old Diesel jeans. Basically, stuff that chicks dig for casual.

Jrslm_Stylin

Reaction score
1) I have a "vintage" Rayon suit, and sometimes wear it in DC in July (at least the black jacket, which in my mind looks fantastic with jeans);

2) I very occasionally wear a fake Rolex (pathetic!) and alternate it with a real one I own, which is of different design, because the fake one keeps great time and isn't like the blingy "diamond"-crusted shite-watches you'd pick up in Tijuana.

3) While I own a platinum wedding band, I almost never wear it, and instead wear some (in my mind) great-looking tungsten and black titanium rings, as I think gold manages to be both blingy and boring, unless it's a simple gold band in which case just boring.

4) I usually wear Levis and even Wranglers as the last time I bought a pair of Versaces it lasted a whole 45 days before ripping. I have a pair of Wranglers I've been wearing for 8 years--no holes, looks good with anything from a sportcoat to a wifebeater.

Please forgive me.

Jrslm_Stylin

Reaction score
I also have three cheap "Lauren by RL" blue sportcoats, which are way "inferior" but extremely versatile and you can pack them into a carry-on or wear them when it's rainy and they'll still look fine (and they're inexpensive enough you can always chuck 'em and buy another if they get winestained, torn on a car door, whatever).

Grant me absolution

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
Why would anyone wear over-the-calf wool socks, unless they are planning to walk around in snow or something?

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
To avoid what's happening to the guy on the left:

socks.jpg

- B

Skin and more skin, ankle-length socks is the new OTC socks:

17summers_650.jpg

GoAussieGo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
My biggest sartorial sin by far is that I dress like absolute hell around the house, on weekends, on errands -- basically any time I am not wearing tailored clothing. I care not a whit about streetwear or casual clothes.

+1

I love to shop at target, buy cheap socks/underwear, and $20 jeans. I dress like trash in casual and at home, but i will buy the occassional expensive good casual piece if its perfect.

But I think nothing of spending $$$ on tailored business clothing/formal wear because it makes me more $$$
boxing[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members