1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things that you know are "inferior" but still prefer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Feb 15, 2009.

1. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Well-Known Member

I haven't read through all of the pages; but, I hope one of you straight men said "Women" as your answer.

[​IMG]

2. ysc

ysc Well-Known Member

I have some RL polos from Bangkok that I am pretty sure are knock-offs, at best they are a cheaper local line, anyway they beat my regular RL polos, in fact most other polos I have had. They manage to be slim enough to fit me, but long enough that they don't leave skin uncovered every time I move, they also dry extraordinarily fast after a wash.

3. Guero

Guero Well-Known Member

The "My Style" thread by GQDerek over this one.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

The cut and fit of Borrelli Sorrento jackets.
    I would say the opposite. I also have a Sorrento and find it vastly over-rated. Listening to the vox sanctorum, you'd think this jacket was cut by the gods and sewn by angels

5. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Well-Known Member

I honestly prefer my cheap, machine-stiched cotton pocket squares to the linen ones with hand-rolled edges.

6. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

polo Ralph Lauren and Burberry's in general..

7. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

The crocodilia are only about an inch long on mine so I couldn't clearly see whether the teeth are visible when the mouth is closed. Can't we just get along?

Sorry to nit-pick, just a pet peeve of mine. [​IMG] Rene Lacoste's story is an interesting one - he is the inventor of the 'polo' shirt:

RenÃ[​IMG] Lacoste, the entrepreneur
    The veritable history of the "Crocodile" began in 1927. RenÃ[​IMG] Lacoste liked to tell of how his nickname became a world famous emblem:

"The American press nicknamed me "the Crocodile" after a bet I made with the Captain of the French Davis Cup team. He had promised me a crocodile-skin suitcase if I won a match that was important for our team. The American public stuck to this nickname, which highlighted my tenacity on the tennis courts, never giving up my prey! So my friend Robert George drew me a crocodile which was embroidered on the blazer that I wore on the courts."
    In 1927, RenÃ[​IMG] Lacoste had a set of loose-knit, cotton shirts made for his own personal use. These comfortable shirts above all perfectly absorbed perspiration, in order, he said, to "better endure the heat on the American courts." These first shirts would quickly cause a sensation on the courts. The French Tennis Federation even found them to be a little indecent because of their figure-hugging shape!

The first Lacoste shirts were white (the colour used on tennis courts at that time), with short sleeves and ribbed collar and cuffs, in a fabric that would become emblematic of the brand; the "petit piquÃ[​IMG]" jersey knit. By joining forces in 1933 with the great hosiery manufacturer AndrÃ[​IMG] Gillier, RenÃ[​IMG] Lacoste started the industrial production of the crocodile-logo polo shirt and gave birth to La Chemise Lacoste.

8. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Thanks Romafan.
    The history behind the product is great...For me ,Lacoste is polo shirts and nothing else...
    They have diversified too much and lost their souls but I still love my Lacoste..

9. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Thanks Romafan.
    The history behind the product is great...For me ,Lacoste is polo shirts and nothing else...
    They have diversified too much and lost their souls but I still love my Lacoste..

To me I always think of the kids in La Vie est un long fleuve tranquille when I see Lacoste shirts...

10. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

It was part of the uniform of the French bourgeoisie...
    Wearing a Lacoste as a child was a sign that your parents were quite well-off...
    Now ,things are a bit different to be honest...

11. Kuro

Kuro Well-Known Member

It was part of the uniform of the French bourgeoisie...
    Wearing a Lacoste as a child was a sign that your parents were quite well-off...
    Now ,things are a bit different to be honest...

It was the same thing with Benetton polos in the early 80s...I recall the rich kids at my boarding school had them, but alas Kuro didn't get one for Christmas.[​IMG]

12. glowell222

glowell222 Well-Known Member

I admit, I really only wear knots these days. I leave the jewelry out. Also, some of my favorite ties are from BB.

Edited to add: Pringle's. A damn good chip. And my ca. 1990 Citizen Elegance watch. It's a quartz. But it does that Timex thing, and it looks good. I reach for it over my others time and again.

13. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

I was part of what we call now the " lower middle class"...
    My dad was a colonel de reserve with a good job and my wife was from a working-class background...
    I had the Vespa, the JM WESTON loafers and the polo Lacoste and the infamous 501 red label.
    My mates had vans and converses..
    I had the chance to see both sides of the social spectrum ..Thanks God for that!!!

14. matt22616

matt22616 Well-Known Member

15. bigbris1

bigbris1 Well-Known Member

Ralph Lauren Blue Label. While perceived by many as inferior to black and purple, I prefer those constants (choice picked items) far more than the latter.

16. ta.sh

ta.sh Member

My boyfriend tends to dress up a lot. He dresses quite well, as so do I. Which is nice for when we go places.
    I'd describe his style like Chuck Bass, from Gossip Girl.
    Very nice.
    But.... I'd rather see him in some slim fitted, well worn nudie jeans, a rugged belt, plain v neck cotton tee, and some converse or vans.

Laid back, and not so couture.
    I don't get to see that side often.

17. bubbleboys

bubbleboys Well-Known Member

I almost bought a non-iron shirt last night. In fact, I might go back and buy it, and then buy more [​IMG]

I really liked the feel and look of the regular shirts over non-iron but I don't make enough money to be blowing it on dry cleaning for my shirts. I also am too busy to be able to iron and starch my shirts.

I do keep a few iron shirts but the vast majority of my shirts are non-iron. One of these days when I make a lot more money, I'll go completely to iron and just have my shirts drycleaned but until then it's non-iron.

18. cimabue

cimabue Well-Known Member

Interesting that they put a portait of FDR there. In the Bush years, everything in that room was a landscape or a battle scene.

George Catlin over Thomas Cole.

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Has anybody mentioned Vox Sartoria?

20. maomao1980

maomao1980 Well-Known Member

Has anybody mentioned Vox Sartoria?

Yeah, see:

My boyfriend tends to dress up a lot. He dresses quite well, as so do I. Which is nice for when we go places.
    I'd describe his style like Chuck Bass, from Gossip Girl.
    Very nice.
    But.... I'd rather see him in some slim fitted, well worn nudie jeans, a rugged belt, plain v neck cotton tee, and some converse or vans.

Laid back, and not so couture.
    I don't get to see that side often.