Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things that you know are "inferior" but still prefer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Feb 15, 2009.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The kind of things that purists would burn you alive for. An example would be preferring quartz watches to a mechanical movements.

My own ungodly preferences:
    • toggle-back cufflinks: I know... boo to me! I'm sorry but I never pick up my non-toggle cufflinks in the morning. I despise the bastards. THey take forever to put on, especially after a short night of sleep. I know I'm wrong... but I just prefer an easy toggle-back cufflink any day
    • cotton socks: I know I should be saying how much I love my over-the-calf wool socks, but sorry, I don't. They are a nightmare to care for, shrink like crazy at the first washing mistake, and get scratchy and saggy pretty quickly. Nothing like a nice smooth, easy cotton sock that stays on and I can throw in the hamper.
    • rollerball pens: I know... I should be ashamed of myself, the feel of a fountain pen's nib caressing the paper - an unobstructed flow from my heart straight to the page... the romantic pleasure of pumping ink to bring life back into it. Sorry... huge PITA in my book. Give me a Pilot V5 any day and I'm a happy man.
    • Le Bernardin (aka Le Bernadin for vox and Manton [​IMG]): obviously inferior to _____, most overrated, not worth its stars, etc... Still a small-timer like me thinks it's pretty good stuff.
    • tie space: I know... It's for the rubes and a properly fitting bespoke collar should not need tie space. But I just prefer the nice hexagonal shape of the tie knot when there is tie space.
    • simple sport coats: It's official sport coats have to be loud and look like a picnic blanket to be "right". Whoever ventures into simpler patterns or (g_d forbid) monochromatic fabrics is doomed and will skip purgatory, straight to the flames. I happen to like a simple grey or beige sport coat, simple herringbone maybe, a touch of cashmere for some fuzzy feel and I'm a happy camper.

Anything you'd like to confess?

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

3. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

The kind of things that purists would burn you alive for. An example would be preferring quartz watches to a mechanical movements.

Anything you'd like to confess?

I almost bought a non-iron shirt last night. In fact, I might go back and buy it, and then buy more [​IMG]

4. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

Certain animal-logoed polo shirts. You know the ones. I don't know if they're significantly 'inferior' to other options (quality probably has deteriorated over time), however the brands don't get much love these days. I find the slim fits work for me, so I've just stuck with them.

I also have Eton non-iron shirts. Good for travelling.

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

StyleForvm. - B
    Oh, I thought you were going to say Fresco.

6. sbrneu

sbrneu Well-Known Member

Brunomagli and Taryn Rose shoes. Crappy leather, but they are by far the most comfortable dress shoes I own, though I would never pay more than $100-150 for them.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

J.Crew OCBD shirts and Essential chinos. I have better quality shirts and know that I can find better quality chinos, but I always reach first for my J.Crew despite all their quality flaws.

8. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Kenneth Cole chinos [​IMG] ....I've never been able to find another pair that fits as well as theirs.

I promise, it's the only piece of KC clothing I own.

9. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

cotton socks: I know I should be saying how much I love my over-the-calf wool socks, but sorry, I don't. They are a nightmare to care for, shrink like crazy at the first washing mistake, and get scratchy and saggy pretty quickly.

This, my friend, is why the sock garter was invented.

10. nordicstyle

nordicstyle Senior member

[...] I know I should be saying how much I love my over-the-calf wool socks, but sorry, I don't. [...]

Why would anyone wear over-the-calf wool socks, unless they are planning to walk around in snow or something?

11. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Why would anyone wear over-the-calf wool socks, unless they are planning to walk around in snow or something?

To avoid what's happening to the guy on the left:

[​IMG]

- B

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Oh, I thought you were going to say Fresco.

I thought that you liked fresco?

Did I misread something?

- B

13. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I thought that you liked fresco? Did I misread something? - B
    Fresc-Ah, I like Fresca. Drinking one as we chat[​IMG]

14. rioni

rioni Senior member

I've just recently started with OTC socks, good stuff [​IMG]

15. anon

anon Senior member

I almost bought a non-iron shirt last night. In fact, I might go back and buy it, and then buy more [​IMG]
    I love non-iron shirts.