• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dear Old Oatmeal

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should start eating oatmeal more. It would be a nice change-up from my usual protein shake for breakfast. I'll check out the Quaker steel-cut oats.

When I was a kid, my brother and I would pour whole milk over the hot oatmeal and add raisins, honey, and cinnamon.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
McCanns Steel cut made with half skim milk, half water. Milk & Honey brand granola ( for the crunch) and fruit.

In Dallas I get oatmeal at Eatzi's with strawberries, pecans and a small amount of vanilla cream.
Heavy cream simmered with sugar and vanilla bean. Yummerz

It no longer exist but a breakfast spot in Chicago would make oatmeal brulee. Bowl of oatmeal, sugar topping carmelized with a torch.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Oatmeal is the perfect food to eat before embarking on a full day of hunting with my brothers.

bearsandninjaskx9.jpg

One of the funniest things I have seen on StyleForum in a long time.

I just put a cup of water + a cup of oats in the microwave for 2 minutes. Add some honey and raisins and good to go. I'm actually going to try some peanut butter right now.

buffalojump

Reaction score
If there's time, I enjoy steelcut oats or scotch oats (with a bit of butter). Otherwise, I'll settle for quick or rolled oats, sometimes with a beaten egg.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I'm back on oatmeal. Great easy breakfast that gets you going. I had fallen into the "muffin or donut from the breakfast cart" trap in November and December. Bad idea.

Anyway, for those of you who make stovetop old fashioned oatmeal, what do you find is the best pan/pot to use? The one I've been using is causing milk to stick and burn, even at lower temperatures.

If by 'old-fashioned' you mean steel-cut, you have to make it with water and then add dairy at the end. You can make it in less water than it says on the tin and thin it with milk, or just add a touch of heavy cream before eating.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm back on oatmeal. Great easy breakfast that gets you going. I had fallen into the "muffin or donut from the breakfast cart" trap in November and December. Bad idea.

Anyway, for those of you who make stovetop old fashioned oatmeal, what do you find is the best pan/pot to use? The one I've been using is causing milk to stick and burn, even at lower temperatures.

I make it in a nonstick pan. no problems. Your pan may be too thin. When i started using all-clad it made a big difference. They are much heavier than what I had been using and they just heat up and cook differently. The non-stick pans we have are by Scanpan. Got them online at Chef's Catalog.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never make Oatmeal with water. I just put 1 cup of oats in a bowl and then pour milk over them until it is a little higher than the oats (barely). After i just pop them in the microwave for 2 minutes and I'm set.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oatmeal + Milk + Brown Sugar + Flaxseed Oil = Winner

Reaction score
If im eating instant oatmeal, Bananas and Cream

If i'm making my own, cinn. and some light brown sugar. If I'm feeling a little wild I'll cut up an apple and throw it in there.

What is everyones take on Farina? I'm a big fan of that as well.

Leaf

Reaction score
I have been eating oatmeal every morning for several years already. It helped me to lose some weight
bigstar[1].gif

I usually buy Quaker's old fashioned oatmeal. I do not mix it with anything. Just add some water and put into the microwave.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TJs has the best price I've found on regular old fashioned oats, as well. I don't have a microwave.
blush.gif

microwave is approx. $70 @ Sam's club - wanna make a trade for something?
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member