• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying my first Crockett & Jones

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to buy my first C&Js from plal this Christmas. I am looking to get a good, versatile business shoe, in black. I am thinking a captoe, but other recommendations are welcome. I am very much a fan of sleeker lasts, so any opinions there are welcome as well. Also, if you think a Cheaney or Loake for a similar price would meet these requirements better, please let me know. Thanks!

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got the Hallam in black. It is a great looking shoe in person, and though it was a little bit more elongated than I had anticipated I had wanted something a little more flashy for parties and weddings. Pretty reasonable at $335 from Pediwear right now as well.

Other than that it's hard to go wrong with the Audley or Belgrave as classic, versatile business shoes and they'll run you about $425 fro Plal right now I believe.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I just got the Hallam in black. It is a great looking shoe in person, and though it was a little bit more elongated than I had anticipated I had wanted something a little more flashy for parties and weddings. Pretty reasonable at $335 from Pediwear right now as well.

Other than that it's hard to go wrong with the Audley or Belgrave as classic, versatile business shoes and they'll run you about $425 fro Plal right now I believe.

So the price difference is driven by higher quality leather or craftsmanship for the Audley and Belgrave models as compared to the Hallam?

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I'm going to buy my first C&Js from plal this Christmas. I am looking to get a good, versatile business shoe, in black. I am thinking a captoe, but other recommendations are welcome. I am very much a fan of sleeker lasts, so any opinions there are welcome as well. Also, if you think a Cheaney or Loake for a similar price would meet these requirements better, please let me know. Thanks!

I am not trying to be funny, but if you live in New York can you not check the shoe in a Crockett & Jones outlet ?

I do own the Audley and Clifford (neither in black). The Audley is quite elongated but trying it in the shop I knew it fitted and could compare it to the other offerings.

To be honest, a plain black Oxford is a fairly standard shoe in terms of appearance. Apart from the sleekness, the Audleys may not look so different from other Oxfords - especially in black. You get channelled soles, but who sees them ? You do get the satisfaction of knowing you have the best quality leathers C&J offer though. However with a black shoe if you can maintain a good shine on them it is half the battle. Good to see somebody on forums buying black shoes for business as well.

Loake are good value shoes but not C&J quality. Cheaney do not look particularly good on websites but the shoes in their shop in Bond Street look a whole lot better.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. It just happens that through particular circumstances and events, I have more brown shoes than I need and less black than I want.

Maybe I should check out a C&J outlet - if it's located outside of the city it would be a hassle as I do not have a car. Also - I am somewhat uncomfortable going into higher-end stores, trying on, and buying nothing, but I guess that's just me.

So Kingstonian - do you recommend upgrading to an Audley is worth it or a Hallam would be serviceable?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the price difference is driven by higher quality leather or craftsmanship for the Audley and Belgrave models as compared to the Hallam?
Yes, that is the reason for the price difference. However, some people do prefer the 348 last that the Hallam is on over than the 337 last that the Audley and Belgrave are on, as it has a more elongated, more sharply chiseled toe. I chose it specifically for this reason as I wanted it to stand out more against a sea of black cap toes, but honestly I regret it just a bit--the Audley would've been better for any job interviews or funerals down the line, it is much more of the quintessential sober shoe. I'm not sure on a black shoe if you would see any difference in quality of leather. Apparently the finishing is a little nicer, though I can't really speak to any specific differences that I've noticed. It is a noticeably nicer shoe than any of my AEs in styling and finish, and I was also struck by how much lighter is was than my Sohos. There is also a new Selbourne model, which is on the very elongted 358 last and is of handgrade quality.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Yes, that is the reason for the price difference. However, some people do prefer the 348 last that the Hallam is on over than the 337 last that the Audley and Belgrave are on, as it has a more elongated, more sharply chiseled toe. I chose it specifically for this reason as I wanted it to stand out more against a sea of black cap toes, but honestly I regret it just a bit--the Audley would've been better for any job interviews or funerals down the line, it is much more of the quintessential sober shoe.

I'm not sure on a black shoe if you would see any difference in quality of leather. Apparently the finishing is a little nicer, though I can't really speak to any specific differences that I've noticed. It is a noticeably nicer shoe than any of my AEs in styling and finish, and I was also struck by how much lighter is was than my Sohos.

There is also a new Selbourne model, which is on the very elongted 358 last and is of handgrade quality.

I do prefer the more elongated look myself, but for the sake of making this a versatile shoe, maybe I should stick with the 337? The one thing I know I want (and can get away with) is something less conservative than my AEs. Is the 337 considerably sleeker than most AEs? I don't need super fashion-forward runway shoes, but I would like something with a little more wow factor than Park Avenues.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
I do prefer the more elongated look myself, but for the sake of making this a versatile shoe, maybe I should stick with the 337? The one thing I know I want (and can get away with) is something less conservative than my AEs. Is the 337 considerably sleeker than most AEs? I don't need super fashion-forward runway shoes, but I would like something with a little more wow factor than Park Avenues.

337 fits the bill. 348 is quite elongated and narrower than 337. 337 is elongated as well to a certain degree. They are both versatile, but 348 fits better with the pimp look while 337 is more compatible with a conservative look. Of course, that's only my opinion and you will hear a different opinion from the numerous 348 supporters.

Honestly, for a black shoe with any wow factor, you need to dress like a pimp with a extremely elongated last like the 358. Or get some 2000 dollars **** shoes like Socal.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee
337 fits the bill. 348 is quite elongated and narrower than 337. 337 is elongated as well to a certain degree. They are both versatile, but 348 fits better with the pimp look while 337 is more compatible with a conservative look. Of course, that's only my opinion and you will hear a different opinion from the numerous 348 supporters. Honestly, for a black shoe with any wow factor, you need to dress like a pimp with a extremely elongated last like the 358. Or get some 2000 dollars **** shoes like Socal.
348 vs A-E #5 (park ave)
cj348ae5.jpg
I'm a 348 fan...IMO its not as extreme as people like to make it out to be, but then again I wear size 6.5 UK....might be clownish in the upper end of the size range

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
348 vs A-E #5 (park ave)

cj348ae5.jpg

I'm a 348 fan...IMO its not as extreme as people like to make it out to be, but then again I wear size 6.5 UK....might be clownish in the upper end of the size range

drool.gif
You wouldn't happen to have profile comparison pics would you? That 348 is gorgeous. Does not look pimp-like to me at all.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
To be fair to the 337 fans, tell me which is higher on the pimp scale when you compare all three side-by-side. Besides it's all relative. 348 looks like what a choir boy would wear compared to the 358. 348 is not extreme, but certainly not even close on the conservative side either.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
I'm not the best photographer, hopefully this helps
cj348ae5-2.jpg

The side profile photos are very nice. Reminds of the HMS Nelson/Rodney, meaning in a good way.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee
To be fair to the 337 fans, tell me which is higher on the pimp scale when you compare all three side-by-side. Besides it's all relative. 348 looks like what a choir boy would wear compared to the 358. 348 is not extreme, but certainly not even close on the conservative side either.
from memory the last time I was in T&A a month ago, the 358 look the same as the 348, just a handgrade version....but I could be wrong, I don't own any 358

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78