• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice on my first suit.

TraumaArnp

Reaction score
This isn't going to be my first suit as I have bought a suit from Men Wearhouse before (but it was trash and I had no clue what I was buying). But I want to buy my first "real" quality suit. I am taking my daughters on a cruise for their Quinciera party and it requires a nice quality suit.

I want to spend about $1000 on it. Should I go for a 2 piece or 3 piece suit? I was looking into either a black, dark gray or navy suit. I know I am in a size US50R jacket and am on the heavy side. I was thinking of going the Indochina or Suit Supply route for a mtm suit and their high end suits will fit my budget.

An issue I am running into is that there are so many different named companies/makers I don't know what is quality and what is garbage. And it seems each company has several different lines/brands, its confusing. Also there are a lot of generic no name brand suits there.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you tried Spier & Mackay? If not, order two suits in different sizes, so you have options to try on. You said you're on the heavy side, so try your normal size and then one size up. If you feel comfortable, you can post photos here of yourself in the suit, and people can give you feedback.

Either a two-piece or three-piece is fine. Most men wear a two-piece.

Do not get a black suit. Instead, get a grey or navy suit.

You can get a good suit from Spier & Mackay for about $300 to $500. You can then order shoes from Meermin for about $200. Wear the shoes a few times in short periods before your day with your daughter. Meermin's shoes are a little stiff and need a little time breaking in.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of Spier and Mackay’s tailored clothing but I am not sure they stock size 50R in OTR suits. You’d have to go made-to-order and there is some risk that it won’t fit well. I’d ask what their return policy is.

Similar problem with SuitSupply though I think they allow returns of even a custom suit if it hasn’t been altered.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whoops, sorry. I misread that as 50R in EU sizing, which would have been a 40R in US sizing.

I see now that you're a 50R in US sizing. I agree that Spier & Mackay would not be a good fit.

You can try O'Connell's. They sell size 50R suits that are fully canvassed.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't going to be my first suit as I have bought a suit from Men Wearhouse before (but it was trash and I had no clue what I was buying). But I want to buy my first "real" quality suit. I am taking my daughters on a cruise for their Quinciera party and it requires a nice quality suit.

I want to spend about $1000 on it. Should I go for a 2 piece or 3 piece suit? I was looking into either a black, dark gray or navy suit. I know I am in a size US50R jacket and am on the heavy side. I was thinking of going the Indochina or Suit Supply route for a mtm suit and their high end suits will fit my budget.

An issue I am running into is that there are so many different named companies/makers I don't know what is quality and what is garbage. And it seems each company has several different lines/brands, its confusing. Also there are a lot of generic no name brand suits there.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

I really don’t know at that price point. I would urge you not to do an online made to measure however. Go somewhere in person and get fitted. You might be fine with off the rack with a few minor adjustments.

As for color, navy and charcoal are both fine. Black is impractical. Fine for funerals or if you’re casted for a remake of Reservoir Dogs, but otherwise take a pass.

Two questions:

1) where do you live?

2) what is a Quinciera party?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don’t know at that price point. I would urge you not to do an online made to measure however. Go somewhere in person and get fitted. You might be fine with off the rack with a few minor adjustments.

As for color, navy and charcoal are both fine. Black is impractical. Fine for funerals or if you’re casted for a remake of Reservoir Dogs, but otherwise take a pass.

Two questions:

1) where do you live?

2) what is a Quinciera party?

Quince is the Latin American debutante or coming-out party for 15-year-old girls. It is generally a big affair, like a wedding, with catered food and dressy attire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads