• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E Marinella Ties

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Not sure why, the pic you posted way back when of your ties looked a lot like their aesthetic.

It's just a pattern thing, haven't seen too many of their patterns that I like. I find it easier to find stuff from H&B that I like and I have a couple of unlined Kiton's that I really like but have not been able to find more
frown.gif

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Marinella also uses a different lining than Drake, a bit thinner and less spongy. And the shape is cut differently. Marinella's shape is that Italian "bottle" shape that Nicky also does. Drake is cut more like a straight-sided triangle. All that may not be more expensive to produce, and it may not be worth the money, but there is a difference.
The shape that the tie ends up whether bottled (Botilia (sp?) or Straight (lineare) is merely a function of the lining. To create the bottled effect you have to start with that kind of lining. STraighter, go with the straighter lining. Shouldnt cost anything more.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I like H&B ties. These Drakes are, to me, vomit inducing. I have a tender stomach, though.
E5WB06770_002m.jpg
VJWS05434_002m.jpg
E5WB06777_002m.jpg

yeah those last two ties are pretty zany. isnt the middle one the LL club tie? As long as that vomit hits those band-aid colored shoes, you're improving on style.
tounge.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Most if not all of marinella's silks are made in England and many of them are designed by Drakes. Drakes makes quite a few staid foulard patterns but it is true that they are rarely as moribund as Marinella.

All of Marinella's silk is made in England, and none of it by Drake. Drake does not make silk, it buys the silk from silk makers and printers like Vanners, which is also a huge source for Marinella.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yeah those last two ties are pretty zany. isnt the middle one the LL club tie?

As long as that vomit hits those band-aid colored shoes, you're improving on style.
tounge.gif

I don't like the LL club tie either. I like dots, but they have to be spaced out well, and in a diamond formation, not a square.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
For the time being, a knit Marinella tie is like a SF fashion moment home run. The only thing that would make it cooler would be if it were Marinella-for-Rubinacci knit tie.

Is there really a SF Marinella thing, and when did it take off? Mine sit unworn in a box somewhere, and I'd hate to be late to the party.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Is there really a SF Marinella thing, and when did it take off? Mine sit unworn in a box somewhere, and I'd hate to be late to the party.
I think it began way back on AAAC when used marinella ties went from $10 a pop to $150 on ebay. It might have migrated over here. The ties are alright for a certain look the Italians like or for Americans who read a few books on how to be an igent and what to practice that look of "class" via restraint. I actually think H&B make nicer prints...and stripes.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I think that among readily available brands, Nicky is hard to beat. If a man populated his closet with just Nicky ties, he would be doing very well. - B
I just realized I am wearing a Nicky tie right now. I guess that makes me SF nearly-cool.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's a lot of good reading. You're becoming the Medwards of SF
wink.gif

While I would be honored to be called the medwards of anything, I will not have earned the moniker until I try to administer life-support to the forum by starting topics intended to draw enough people into a discussion to keep the lights from going out.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
There is nothing wrong with Marinella ties. They have neat, aesthetically pleasing designs and the myriad, subtle variations are amazing; a little like collecting snowflakes. As I mentioned before the silk patterns are designed in England, sometimes by Drakes. The silk is also printed in England. Vanners only weaves silk, they sold their printing division some time ago.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
While I would be honored to be called the medwards of anything, I will not have earned the moniker until I try to administer life-support to the forum by starting topics intended to draw enough people into a discussion to keep the lights from going out.
Quite right, he is their Horatio at the bridge.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The ties are alright for a certain look the Italians like or for Americans who read a few books on how to be an igent and what to practice that look of "class" via restraint.
Every time you start a fight with me you end up looking like a fool, regretting it, and crying to the mods. So why don't you just ... stop?

Lab rats who lick electrified metal, painted yellow, thinking it is cheese eventually figure out that it isn't and stop. Surely you are smarter than a lab rat.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soikeobong2024