• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

E Marinella Ties

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
How large is your monitor?

The reason why Paul Allen is rich, I am convinced, is that he must have stolen the idea of the scroll bar from someone.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The reason why Paul Allen is rich, I am convinced, is that he must have stolen the idea of the scroll bar from someone.

- B

Actually, I always thought Paul Allen sort of lucked into his fortune, right place, right time, etc. But I read a long article which explained that he was the programming brains behind Microsoft's early successes, not Gates, and in fact when Allen got sick, Gates and Balmer on the one had feared that the work would not get done, and on the other schemed to find a way for the company to take back Allen's stock so that his heirs would not get it if he died. Allen eventually recovered, decided to quit the company, and started selling his stock and investing his money elsewhere.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Actually, I always thought Paul Allen sort of lucked into his fortune, right place, right time, etc.

I attribute all of it to his thatch-like beard in the early days.

- B

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought that I'd resurrect this one as it contains some valued opinions on Marinella ties (before the thread digressed into a Manton versus FNB fight). Here are my recent purchases after a trip to Naples. The small storefront is near the water but the real goods are behind the storefront in a much larger store located in the courtyard. You can't just walk around the store browsing. A salesperson needs to assist you. I didn't like that at first but the salesperson assigned to me was very helpful, knowledgable and spoke Spanish well. She was not pushy and gave me a lot of time to browse without feeling like I was wasting her time. Here is my haul: I'm not one to be very bold with ties. This is about as crazy as I get. Self-tipped three fold. A staple: Navy grenadine in a three fold construction. A tie that will make an excellent transition between work and an evening social engagement. I like this tie with navy suits. Another tie for evening social engagements. And finally a great summer tie. It is reversible but I'll wear it so that both blades (hence both colors) will be visible with linen suits.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I got these three while in Milan. Plus a tie travel kit. Unfortunately I'm limited in my selection as I have to get the extra long versions (I'm 6'6"), there was some amazing stuff in the vintage section but they were all standard length of course.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties now on myhabit for 99

Odradek

Reaction score
I've thrifted a nice E. Marinella tie, but on closer examination, the small label says "Hand Made In England", and the initials "MD", just like all my Drake's ties.

Was there ever some sort of collaboration?
Is this a rarity?

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Some of their ties are also made by another SF approved brand.

To clarify though, does Marinella make any of their ties in house? That is, in a work shop they actually own that only makes Marinella ties?

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Some of their ties are also made by another SF approved brand.

To clarify though, does Marinella make any of their ties in house? That is, in a work shop they actually own that only makes Marinella ties?

Nope, only the bespoke ones are made on the shop and even I doubt all the bespoke ones...

The rest are alleguedly as I have explained, by machine, using the Liba machine on a factory outside Naples.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This small haul is from my most recent trip to Naples.
1647121E-C30F-4CAF-87CE-77556C6F4917.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics