• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How acceptable is linen?

contaygious

Reaction score
I love the look of linen, but I agree it's only good for a once and a while sports jacket/shirt, not a good choice for your main attire. I only take linen to the cleaners. Never washed it in a machine myself.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a navy blue linen suit that I've worn in a variety of settings - I think it works very well for day and night in mediterranean/California type weather - warm the day, cooler at night, but not too extreme in either direction. I also wear the jacket as an odd jacket quite a bit as well. The suit is stiffer than most linen I've encountered. It's Borrelli, on the heavier side and it resists wrinkling better than any linen shirt or trousers I've ever worn.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
are you supposed to iron linen or just let the wrinkle be? Also, does linen shirt shrink more than cotton if you put into a regular washing cycle? Got my first linen shirt today (yes, never owned linen before), but no idea how to care for it.

Wash shirts in cold are warm water with like colors and hang dry. You can iron, if you can iron.
smile.gif
I have my shirts pressed at the cleaners for a couple of bucks. I dry clean all my linen trousers.

MellonC

Reaction score
I like linen. I especially like linen pants. To me, a nice and clean pair of linen pants says casual yet relaxed business environment. Perfect for low key California business setting...

Have you thought about 70/30 linen/silk fabric? Great fabric with all the nice linen properties like, coolness, sweat absorbsion, heavy weight (yet cool to touch) yet airy... at the same time, it wrinkles much, much less. I'm not talking about silk like the fabric we saw on silk shirts of the '80s. The silk fabric used with linen are much more coarse and rough to touch.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MellonC
I like linen. I especially like linen pants. To me, a nice and clean pair of linen pants says casual yet relaxed business environment. Perfect for low key California business setting...

Have you thought about 70/30 linen/silk fabric? Great fabric with all the nice linen properties like, coolness, sweat absorbsion, heavy weight (yet cool to touch) yet airy... at the same time, it wrinkles much, much less. I'm not talking about silk like the fabric we saw on silk shirts of the '80s. The silk fabric used with linen are much more coarse and rough to touch.

I'm thinking about getting some linen pants myself. You say 70/30... have any examples to show?

Scoundrel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Remember: black= formal and linen=informal. If you try mixing the two, you end up with an oxymoron, something quite peculiar, neither fish nor fowl.

Yet you have said that linen vests are permissible in the spring and summer? Perhaps the OP is thinking about formal wear in the daytime. Here is my question: surely, linen checkered pants qualify as formal day wear in the summer?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, the old traditional/classic rules about formal dressing should not be upholds in all climates. Wearing full black tie in 90+F and over 80% humidity is not fun at all.

But, instead of linen you could always explore light weight wool fabrics, but the downside is that they tend to wrinkle more than the typical.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I enjoy linen during summer. I wash my shirts and trousers in cold water, hang dry, and iron. I put on my linen blazer and a tie for business casual and social events where a tie is needed.

Scoundrel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I enjoy linen during summer. I wash my shirts and trousers in cold water, hang dry, and iron. I put on my linen blazer and a tie for business casual and social events where a tie is needed.

If I may ask, do the cleaning instructions of your items permit machine wash? Do you hand wash? Would you wash a linen piece if its instructions said dry-clean only?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scoundrel
If I may ask, do the cleaning instructions of your items permit machine wash? Do you hand wash? Would you wash a linen piece if its instructions said dry-clean only?
My shirts and pants are J.Crew (hence, cheap but good enough quality) and the instructions suggest washing in cold water. I also have a Black Fleece linen shirt that also specifies cold wash. I do not put linen in the dryer even though it can be done. My blazer is Black Fleece and will be dry cleaned, if ever needed.

In past years I have owned linen in which dry cleaning was recommended. For nice dress trousers and shirts where fading was a concern, I did dry clean them. After a few years though, I started washing the shirts. Fading was the only downside to washing rather than dry cleaning.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scoundrel
Yet you have said that linen vests are permissible in the spring and summer? Perhaps the OP is thinking about formal wear in the daytime. Here is my question: surely, linen checkered pants qualify as formal day wear in the summer?

The reason that summer day wear waistcoats were made of linen (and evening waistcoats of cotton) is simple - traditional coating was about 18-20 Oz Oz weight, and if you had an 18 Oz waistcoat too, it could get pretty warm. In any case, the waistcoat would not be that visible underneath the coat even if it did wrinkle.

If the coat and trousers needed to be cooler, there was always the option of mohair blends. Linen coats and trousers were always reserved for casual dress.

YoungFogey

Reaction score
I was faced with this conundrum today. It's going to be 98F in NYC today and I have a lunch with some relatively important donors and the Director of an important cultural institution. The purpose of the lunch is for them to hit me up for money in the long run.

Normally I wear linen suits to work without a thought. (Irish linen is the best -- wrinkles less and in a better way than Italian linen.) But today I concluded it would be too informal and instead opted for a navy tropical suit, white oxford buttondown and madras bowtie. I'm hoping the Panama hat will help outside.

Linen is, as has been said, an informal fabric. It's truly wonderful, and if one accepts the wrinkles it broadcasts a sense of complete comfort with one's self and one's position. (i.e. : you don't need to impress anyone.)

If there's someone you need to impress, or a place where a seriousness of purpose is required, linen is not the cloth of choice. That's why: garden parties, weddings, baptisms, a somewhat unstructured work environment, dressy sporting events -- OK. Funerals, job interviews, meetings with heads of state or corporate clients -- not.

I could have worn linen to my meeting -- as I am the one who will be hit up -- but as I am on the younger side of the crowd, it would have been disrespectful to the Director and the older donors.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungFogey
I was faced with this conundrum today. It's going to be 98F in NYC today and I have a lunch with some relatively important donors and the Director of an important cultural institution. The purpose of the lunch is for them to hit me up for money in the long run.

Normally I wear linen suits to work without a thought. (Irish linen is the best -- wrinkles less and in a better way than Italian linen.) But today I concluded it would be too informal and instead opted for a navy tropical suit, white oxford buttondown and madras bowtie. I'm hoping the Panama hat will help outside.

I could have worn linen to my meeting -- as I am the one who will be hit up -- but as I am on the younger side of the crowd, it would have been disrespectful to the Director and the older donors.

It's situations like these when you'd be better off with wool/mohair blends. Cool, but with a much more 'finished' look.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbev