• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Words that are annoying

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two which may have already been mentioned.

1. Going forward -- thanks for clarifying that we won't be travelling back in tiime (to quote Dilbert).

2. We'll talk off-line -- we are talking "off-line." Do you mean we will talk later?

Also, not so much a buzz-word, but I hate the general need around my work place to state the obvious. It's usually done to appease some or another state commission or something. We'll write things like "when allowed by state law" when our rules obviously cannot override state law.

b

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Altitude metaphors for imprecision, i.e., "Give me the 30,000 foot view."

Oh yeah, this one too. I hear this a lot. So what you want is for me to give you a completely useless summary of the issue? Fine. You still won't understand the issue, but here you go. My summary of this issue in five words.

b

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
2. We'll talk off-line -- we are talking "off-line."

I still remember the first time I heard this. I didn't know what it meant then, and I wish I had never learned.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think someone sent a memo to the NY Times to incorporate the word "gravitas" whenever possible; unfortunately that got disseminated across the globe.

"proactive"

and someone also sent a memo to ESPN to make sure every so-called expert on there uses the phrase "at the end of the day" at least 5 times per hour.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
I think someone sent a memo to the NY Times to incorporate the word "gravitas" whenever possible; unfortunately that got disseminated across the globe. "proactive" and someone also sent a memo to ESPN to make sure every so-called expert on there uses the phrase "at the end of the day" at least 5 times per hour.
I almost included this as well. I only heard it nonstop while watching Apprentice. I don't watch much TV. What about "teamplayer". I use it all the time because I think it is hilarious.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Self-starter.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
top-side
snapshot

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I get mailings for the San Francisco Symphony. Its conductor is Michael Tilson Thomas; however, they style it as MTT. You should hear it used in a conversation.

+ eleventy-billion

datasupa

Reaction score
An article in today's post highlights these:

game-changer
close the deal

Synergy, paradigm, holistic, symmetry are all fine in certain contexts, e.g. science.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
The word war. Why do we declare war on everything we don't like?
War on poverty, war on terror, war on drugs, someone else mentioned war on science. Isn't it possible to try to fight against something without calling it a war?
Just annoying to me.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure it's a buzz word, but I hate the arcane "to wit."

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.