Buzz Words that are annoying

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by odoreater, May 6, 2008.

1. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

Lots of this stuff dates to the dotcom years. Check out The Bullshit Generator.

I use "to wit" in legal writing all the time, but never in any other kind of writing.

Why do you do that? Do you think that using archaic, stilted language somehow establishes your legitimacy as an attorney?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Metrics.

3. Alter

Alter Senior member

Why do you do that? Do you think that using archaic, stilted language somehow establishes your legitimacy as an attorney?

Do you think this question somehow establishes your legitimacy as an internet tough-guy?

4. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

"Solutions" when what is really meant is "stuff we are selling."

It really means: a homogeneous, molecular mixture of two or more substances.

My fav. is widely used by TV-ancors and commentators: "Positive progress."

5. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Lots of this stuff dates to the dotcom years. Check out The Bullshit Generator.
    This is great. The dot com was always about making shit up. People could make money just writing programs to open other programs. Companies would make up words but in the end, none of them survived. Names like Xoom.

6. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

for the forum: artisan

for GW: homeland

7. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I do it because, sometimes, there is just no better way to say things, and I know that a judge will understand what I mean. For example, from a brief I wrote recently: "these recent violations are simply the latest in a long list of violations, to wit,[lists the rest of the violations]..."

My legitimacy as an attorney is established by a piece of paper that I carry in my briefcase. It basically says that the Supreme Court of my state considers me an attorney. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Another annoying buzzword, if it hasn't been mentioned already, "the post 9-11 world"

8. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

for GW: homeland

This is a good one, and ironic coming from a globalist like GW.

9. hplindley

hplindley Member

I do it because, sometimes, there is just no better way to say things, and I know that a judge will understand what I mean. For example, from a brief I wrote recently: "these recent violations are simply the latest in a long list of violations, to wit,[lists the rest of the violations]..."

My legitimacy as an attorney is established by a piece of paper that I carry in my briefcase. It basically says that the Supreme Court of my state considers me an attorney. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Another annoying buzzword, if it hasn't been mentioned already, "the post 9-11 world"

Use "for example," "including"or in some limited circumstances, "i.e." "To wit" sounds like a young attorney trying too hard.

And why do you carry around a piece of paper in your briefcase? Don't you have an office? [​IMG]

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Low-hanging fruit.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Low-hanging fruit.

Is that hou you designate uglies at the bar?

12. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Use "for example," "including"or in some limited circumstances, "i.e." "To wit" sounds like a young attorney trying too hard.

And why do you carry around a piece of paper in your briefcase? Don't you have an office? [​IMG]

"For example" doesn't fit because I listed all of the violations. "Including" doesn't fit because it doesn't tell the Judge that I'm listing all of the examples. I.e. is no good because it wasn't a paranthetical, and it shouldn't be used in formal writing outside of a paranthetical.

Next.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

"For example" doesn't fit because I listed all of the violations. "Including" doesn't fit because it doesn't tell the Judge that I'm listing all of the examples. I.e. is no good because it wasn't a paranthetical, and it shouldn't be used in formal writing outside of a paranthetical.

Next.

I hope both of you realize that you just turned the use of "˜to wit' into a battle of wits...

Jon.

14. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Next.

"that is"
    I hope both of you realize that you just turned the use of ‘to wit’ into a battle of wits…
    [​IMG]

Jon.

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

"that is"
    [​IMG]

Jon.

Don't sign my name. [​IMG]

Jon.