• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zegna suits

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize because I know this info is in some other thread somewhere...

today I was at saks in tysons corner. I was just looking at the suits and the suit salesman there is telling me that Zegna is hand made. It wasnt the Napoli line. Just regular label mainline. I knew this was wrong. I told him that I was pretty sure that it wasnt. He said "sir I said it was PRIMARILY handmade." I proceeded to tell him I didnt think that was true either. And then he said asked why I dont believe him because hes been in the business for ten years. I told him I just dont think it is but he persisted so I told him that 1. its because hes just trying to make a sale or 2. he just doesnt know. He got upset and just walked away.

Anyways Im hoping I was correct. I dont think Zegna has hand work done in it. I remember reading several times that they are made usually under a few hours in factories..

Also how much hand work does Brioni, Isaia, and Kiton usually have?

And whats better quality ...canali or zegna? I heard since Canali uses the same factories since its beginning and doesnt have them in different countries like Zegna its got some sort of edge over them but thats about it..

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always been extremely disappointed by the staff at the Tysons II Saks. I bought two suits from a guy named Khalil there a year ago and felt I got swindled on one of them. At the time I didn't really know much about suits, and he pretty much sweet talked me into buying a suit that didnt fit right and now I regret buying it. Other times they've just been really aggressive when I'd told them I was just browsing.

But yeah, I think 90% of the people who read these boards know more about high end men's fashion than most sales people. For them its a job, for us its a passion.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I know who you are talking about. Yea they piss me off. I was just looking and this guy is houding me. It wasnt Khalil though...

but youre right. Most sales peopel dont know jack

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I made the Canali guy in the NY Saks throw a hissy fit because I was looking through the suits and he was like "Sir...that is not your size!" and I just looked up and said "Thanks, I know my size and I'm just looking at the fabrics." He walked over and gave me a 42L...I'd buy a 40R in Canali and I proceded to tell him that "I'm not putting that on, I will help myself." He scampered off scoffing "Well, you don't know your size."

I've also basically given a clinic to 3 associates about Michael Bastian products in the store as well.

But, all in all 90% of associate's are tards.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by horndog
I've always been extremely disappointed by the staff at the Tysons II Saks. I bought two suits from a guy named Khalil there a year ago and felt I got swindled on one of them. At the time I didn't really know much about suits, and he pretty much sweet talked me into buying a suit that didnt fit right and now I regret buying it. Other times they've just been really aggressive when I'd told them I was just browsing.

But yeah, I think 90% of the people who read these boards know more about high end men's fashion than most sales people. For them its a job, for us its a passion.

I agree with horndog, we are the lucky few who know more about clothing than most high end fashion sales people. It would be good to encounter some more (clothing) educated ones.

I recently went with a friend who is also a member of this forum and we checked out a few stores that sold Zegna, Borrelli and a store that sold MTM. It didn't take us long to make the sales people umm and ahh about the clothing they were selling. Some looked at us blankly while some were making it up as they were going along.

Its not something that we do deliberately, I think its just that we spend so much time here that we naturally ask the same sort of questions that we would ask when posting on these boards, and simply most clothing sales people don't know the answers.

I used to work in retail in a department store selling suits, although we were told that product knowledge was important we werent really told where to obtain it. So most of the time, we just didn't know or had to make things up. Its the natural thing to do so when that salesman said that Zegna suit was handmade maybe he didn't know but assumed it was. You might never know.

gj555

Reaction score
A hand is used to operate a sewing machine. Ergo, its handmade
laugh.gif

Does he mean hand sewing with a needle and thread or a hand operating a sewing machine (as distinguished from some automated machine doing a lot of the work)?

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I made the Canali guy in the NY Saks throw a hissy fit because I was looking through the suits and he was like "Sir...that is not your size!" and I just looked up and said "Thanks, I know my size and I'm just looking at the fabrics." He walked over and gave me a 42L...I'd buy a 40R in Canali and I proceded to tell him that "I'm not putting that on, I will help myself." He scampered off scoffing "Well, you don't know your size."

I've also basically given a clinic to 3 associates about Michael Bastian products in the store as well.

is that guy middle aged with glasses??
I once was browsing in the Canali section there, and the guy told me " don't even bother, let me measure you up for the MTM suit". Even though he was right, but he just made me feel very uncomfortable about browsing the suits.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is getting more and more confusing in recent years...
Before ,the lines in the sand were more easily readable and understandable in terms of brand recognition and quality....
Now ,for shoes for example ,we have rtw,mto ,demi-mesure and full bespoke...
Some bespoke big names are subcontracting their rtw /mto to others and it is very difficult to know who is doing what....
For suits,Canali is doing Canali but also some of the Dior Homme collection and it's only one example..
I did buy a BRIONI rtw in Bruton street in London and a tailor came to take the jacket ,sleeves....is it demi-mesure,rtw anymore?
Between the off -the- peg and the fully bespoke ,everything is getting murkier...
On the Row (Savile one not the other deadly one),they're offering entry level for bespoke and other strange arrangements..
Sales person in London are,for half of them,highly incompetent ,trying to sell you anything as they're most likely on commission...Suit you Sir!!!!!!!!!!!
Ask a few questions and they start lying or distorting the truth and that is highly annoying when you're buying a veryexpensive item.....

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
It is getting more and more confusing in recent years...
Before ,the lines in the sand were more easily readable and understandable in terms of brand recognition and quality....
Now ,for shoes for example ,we have rtw,mto ,demi-mesure and full bespoke...
Some bespoke big names are subcontracting their rtw /mto to others and it is very difficult to know who is doing what....
For suits,Canali is doing Canali but also some of the Dior Homme collection and it's only one example..
I did buy a BRIONI rtw in Bruton street in London and a tailor came to take the jacket ,sleeves....is it demi-mesure,rtw anymore?
Between the off -the- peg and the fully bespoke ,everything is getting murkier...
On the Row (Savile one not the other deadly one),they're offering entry level for bespoke and other strange arrangements..
Sales person in London are,for half of them,highly incompetent ,trying to sell you anything as they're most likely on commission...Suit you Sir!!!!!!!!!!!
Ask a few questions and they start lying or distorting the truth and that is highly annoying when you're buying a veryexpensive item.....

What questions do they typically lie about in their answer?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
is that guy middle aged with glasses??
I once was browsing in the Canali section there, and the guy told me " don't even bother, let me measure you up for the MTM suit". Even though he was right, but he just made me feel very uncomfortable about browsing the suits.

actually yes. he was also trying to convince me to buy a mtm...

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

Happens to me all the time. I am 6'2" so the sales reps always insist that I am an L. I used to be patient and let them measure me and find for themselves they were wrong, but now I just shut them down.

satorstyle

Reaction score
I think some of the 15 mil and higher end Switzerland made suits and jackets have so hand work, pic stitching, armholes etc. I don't think they have ever professed mostly hand made clothing except for their su misura line. As far as Saks at Tysons I've never found competent assistance, I tend to frequent Neiman's because of that fact, they tend to provide much better service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads