• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Opinion: a suit jacket without canvas? without lining?

TippTopp

Reaction score
I'm designing an evening wear jacket that's casual, soft, yet elegant. Think a cross between a sport jacket and a smoking jacket. The material is dark lustrous silk velvet with large, brushed stainless steel caps. This is bespoke tailored based on an original design.

I'm toying with the idea of making it without canvas and unlined. This will make it both lighter and also less stiff, more shirt-like. An alternative would be to have it lined but without canvas.

Do you have any experience with jackets that have no canvas or lining? I know that Comme des Garçons made some models in recent years, but I know few people who wear them.
Will appreciate all of your comments and thoughts.

Thanks,

TT

Wicky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TippTopp
I'm designing an evening wear jacket that's casual, soft, yet elegant. Think a cross between a sport jacket and a smoking jacket. The material is dark lustrous silk velvet with large, brushed stainless steel caps. This is bespoke tailored based on an original design.

I'm toying with the idea of making it without canvas and unlined. This will make it both lighter and also less stiff, more shirt-like. An alternative would be to have it lined but without canvas.

Do you have any experience with jackets that have no canvas or lining? I know that Comme des Garçons made some models in recent years, but I know few people who wear them.
Will appreciate all of your comments and thoughts.

Thanks,

TT

As a matter of fact, I do and this is not so rare as you may think. I have a Sartorio Napoli (when Sartorio was still owned by Attolini) made baby cashmere summer jacket which is totally unconstructed, no canvas and unlined and, indeed, it wears like a shirt and you almost do not notice it. I love it and its one of my favorites to wear during summer season. I believe Borrelli and Sartorio Partenopea (both also from Napoli) also have this type of jackets.

When properly made it looks awesome.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen unlined summer-weight dinner jackets in shops. They all looked nice, and would be great for this time of year.

TippTopp

Reaction score
Thanks, these pointers are very helpful!

Without lining and canvass, what provides structure in these jacket, if anything? Is it thicker wool? Weaving?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are called shirt jackets. They are really only for casual wear. The only people to wear them as evening dress are waiters, whose coats are made up more simply to save on costs. You can also put a haircloth chestpiece in and omit the canvas. Be careful, as a structureless homemade garment can look like something "mother made me".

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for something like this (within budget) for some time, basically it's cut on a sportcoat pattern, but constructed almost like a sweater. Perhaps silk/cashmere blend, or some other lightweight wool. Still looking

TippTopp

Reaction score
I agree, I don't think that an unstructured silk jacket would look very good.

In my case, we've already created the shell and we can see that it falls nicely. This, of course, is due to the fact that the silk velvet is s a fairly heavy, dense fabric.

My main concern is whether it'll keep its shape in the future, and whether we risk heavier wear on the fabric due to the lack of lining.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads