• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your job

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I work in customer service. I deal with ticket inquiries and gate check-in, etc. I do nothing with wheelchairs, we have a separate company who does that. I also do a lot of computer work in our offices.

I believe I am an integral part of the airline industry, your opinion does not faze me in the least (aren't you unemployed?). Every flight is handed off to a different person during different stages of operation, and I am one of those people. I strongly believe my job is an important part of getting people where they want to go and that is why I take pride in it.

That's a damn good answer, and I am happy for you. In fact I think who you work for is lucky to have you.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
most of you know that i own a marketing and advertising agency. i enjoy it, but if i had my druthers, i'd be painting all day.

ms244

Reaction score
I make little shiny blocks that when you point them at the sun, they give you free juice to power your Ipod.

Everyday I learn something new (sometimes through a lot of frustration) and the machinery is so out there that most people would have nothing to compare it to if it was described to them.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I love what I do.... this is what I enjoy. It doesn't fee like work at all and I'd probably do it for free if they gave me a meal card and housing and a travel allowance.
wink.gif
What other job other than teaching do you get to stand in front of a room of people and talk all day long about what you love and, more than anything else, try to get them interested in it, too?

+1, except I wouldn't do it for free (a guy's gotta have his shoes, after all) and I also spend a fair amount of my time managing a scientific research group of students. So when I'm not in front of class answering questions, I'm answering questions one-on-one (and before anyone asks, no, I don't hold Saturday office hours). I didn't answer the poll because I could be happy doing a variety of different things, but I think corrupting young minds makes me most happy.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
options 2 and 4 aren't necessarily in conflict with one another.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I could have selected all options and they would have been the truth.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doing what I always wanted to do, and love it. I can't imagine doing anything else.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The job is boring but at times fun and entertaining especially if the boss is gone. The boss totally sucks

flashback

Reaction score
my job is my calling, my passion, all of that. Somedays I can't believe I actually do this for a living, that people pay me, and that I made it all happen for myself. Whats more is that I have really just scratched the surface and it keeps getting better and better. Its very, very exciting.

Spilotro

Reaction score
I'm a full-time student taking 18 hours, working for my economics degree and then going to law school. I may (probably) also go back later and get a master's in econ. At the moment, I consider this my job.

I used to hate school, and found it tedious. Out of nowhere, about a year ago, something happened to me that made me suddenly start caring more about every aspect of my life (physical appearance included). I now love school, and I am very grateful for the privilege of education that I have.

The human mind is a great gift, and I intend to use mine to its fullest capacity.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I genuinely enjoy my job. It's not that every day is a day in paradise, but my job is interesting and usually keeps me busy. I feel like I learn something new every...let's say week. That's good.

People here seem to respect me and are grateful that I participate. I also understand my place in the overall hierarchy so know what is expected of me and can accept when someone else says "It shall be so." I'm okay with that.

I liked the teaching part of being a college professor. In fact, I loved it and I miss it. Yesterday I came to the conclusion that I'll probably never get the chance to do it again. But I hated most everything else about the job.

Oh, and I make way more money now.

b

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'm the boss, which is pretty much great. I make all the big decisions, there's little gruntwork, and I take a lot of pride in steering the ship. It also affords me the opportunity to have a meaningful impact in our little community. I like the people I work with and I'm proud to be in American manufacturing. I also get to travel quite a bit to enjoyable places around the world. It is occasionally annoying, sometimes quite stressful, but the challenges are so many and so varied that there is little monotony. Good times, overall.
Can I ask what it is you manufacture? As for myself, I don't really get that much job satisfaction. I used to, but then my director retired and my manager quit, and it hasn't really been the same since. Once upon a time I'd get some really great opportunities, go to hearings and tribunals, work on significant issues and lobby the government, write to the ombudsman etc, but the new director promptly rehired someone who previously shared my job but quit (but was on their facebook) and all of those sweet things disappeared. Now I mostly sit around and take phonecalls from clients with problems I can answer on the spot. It's boring, but I suppose I help people. I look at the job now as just a tedious rung on the ladder. I'll work here until graduation (5 months!), and then I'll move on to bigger things.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
most of you know that i own a marketing and advertising agency. i enjoy it, but if i had my druthers, i'd be painting all day.

my father retired almost 20 years ago, and paints most of his days, since then. he sells a half dozen paintings a year. he recently bought an old building with a ground floor shop, and made himself a gallery, so he can paint all day and pretend its actualy a business. there is no better way to spend your oldfarthood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads