• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your job

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
my father retired almost 20 years ago, and paints most of his days, since then. he sells a half dozen paintings a year. he recently bought an old building with a ground floor shop, and made himself a gallery, so he can paint all day and pretend its actualy a business. there is no better way to spend your oldfarthood.
My grandmother does the same thing. She retired a few years ago (due to illness) and quickly took up painting as a hobby. Loves it.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I voted in the **** my wrists category.

It could all come to a stop today in my performance review, because I just don't have any passion for the job anymore and feel like I can't keep putting myself through this.

Thankfully my industry is pretty recession proof (though we've never seen times like this before), and I've also got a good rep in the industry so hopefully I'll be able to land something soon.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I think this poll needs another option. The first choice seems about right although it's too definite and concrete. I genuinely love what I do but imagine myself being equally happy and fulfilled in other areas.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
both grandma conne and globetrotters respective relatives sound like my kinda people.

Originally Posted by Connemara
My grandmother does the same thing. She retired a few years ago (due to illness) and quickly took up painting as a hobby. Loves it.

atomicranch

Reaction score
What job? I got laid off this week along with 20% of the rest of my company. Times is tough.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I liked the teaching part of being a college professor. In fact, I loved it and I miss it. Yesterday I came to the conclusion that I'll probably never get the chance to do it again. But I hated most everything else about the job.

Oh, and I make way more money now.

b

I don't dislike the teaching part but it's getting old fast. I hate everything else about my job.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tardek
As for myself, I don't really get that much job satisfaction. I used to, but then my director retired and my manager quit, and it hasn't really been the same since.

This is a huge concern for me. I interviewed with and was hired by one person. I get along with him very well and like his management style. His boss (with whom I also interact a lot) is also, generally, good to work for. If we have a major reorganization and this structure changes, I could quicly fall into the "hate my job" category. And since we have a new "acting" Chairman and are expecting a new "permanent" Chair some time soon, it could happen. It's a small probability, but it could.

b

Bun_b

Reaction score
I would love to see how many people on here are unemployed

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atomicranch
What job? I got laid off this week along with 20% of the rest of my company. Times is tough.

Sorry dude.
frown.gif
Good luck out there.

A lot of friends have been laid off recently. I thought DC was recessionproof!

micbain

Reaction score
I left on disability leave a little while ago to get some back surgery....was planning to get back to work this month...but I don't know if there will be a job for me to back to now. I'm lucky that I'm on disability since I still get paid 70% of my salary but it sucks if I won't be able to get back since nobody else in town is hiring.

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
This is a huge concern for me. I interviewed with and was hired by one person. I get along with him very well and like his management style. His boss (with whom I also interact a lot) is also, generally, good to work for. If we have a major reorganization and this structure changes, I could quicly fall into the "hate my job" category. And since we have a new "acting" Chairman and are expecting a new "permanent" Chair some time soon, it could happen. It's a small probability, but it could.

b

I hope things work out for you. It's really unfortunate, the way my job satisfaction turned so quickly. And then to top it all I've been told there's no job when I graduate because of said ex-employee's return. Hurrah!

frown.gif

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wanna meet some really fucked up people? Get into the Restaurant industry...

slappysloopy

Reaction score
I'm 18 so I really have a job and not a career. I work in a video store which is terrific for me but I really don't make enough to get all of the **** I want. Before this I supervised at a pizza place, also not the ideal job for bringing in a lot of money. Next year when I start college, I'd really like to work at a clothing store even if I make less money. I'd just rather be around clothing and spend time talking about that with coworkers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads