• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

your first cologne

Rob Rocco

Reaction score
First owned: Stetson (from Mom and Dad in my Christmas stocking)
First purchased (and still worn): Tuscany (saw it in a GQ add when I was 15)

I've got bottles of Eternity, Gio, and Safari in my drawer, but Tuscany gets the most complements.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first was Polo, in the Green bottle. Nothing like smelling like cigars and strip club... maybe 7th grade'ish.

First one's that I bought were Polo Blue and Boss by Hugo Boss in high school... I don't think I tried anything different until college.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Technically JP Gaultier, but I quickly stopped using that once I realized it was not every-day appropriate and stuck with Swiss Army, which I used for 2-3 years.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First used: Old Spice - Dad's cologne. I used to use it for High School events
First received: Tommy Hilfiger - Xmas gift from a girlfriend
First purchased: Kenneth Cole. I purchased it at the same time I bought a certain long sleeve RL shirt that had RALPH LAUREN in huge white letters down each arm. I was stylin
tounge.gif

I would not use any of these any more. I have about 50 colognes but I only rotate between 4 or 5. I guess I've significantly narrowed my tastes that past few years.

scfdefinit

Reaction score
First used: Gucci Envy I found it in my older brother's room when I was in middle school
First received: Burberry Brit
First purchased: Prada Amber pour homme (I'm starting to build my own wardrobe of fragrances, just recently bought a bottle of YSL M7 fresh for my 2nd purchase)

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obsession. Which quickly turned into Polo, Drakkar, and then about 20 others.

sweisman

Reaction score
First used--Dad's pierre cardin and Polo
First received--Obsession Calvin Klein
First Purchased--Paul Sebastian---Went to the mall in High School to buy Drakkar, over heard three hot women, a good 5-10 years older than me, passing around a tester, saying that Paul Sebastian, was the "sexiest thing they ever smelled." I turned to the woman at the counter and purchased that instead...didn't even know what it smelled like. Consequently it was great.

dba

Reaction score
First time poster here. Great thread, though it brings back a lot of painful memories. I think the first I used had to be either Brut or Aspen although at the time, I believe I thought the Aspen was quite a step up from Brut, lol. I also remember a lot of guys wearing adidas at that time.

As far as purchases, I think I first bought a bottle of CK Eternity from Wal-Mart of all places. I didn't realize a good thing when I had it though and quickly sunk into the abyssmal depths of Drakkar. I did return to Eternity for some time down the road...

...although I don't use it today, it was a scent I recall a lot of girls had a penchant for. To me that's a good sign. I wear Burberry Touch nowadays mainly because a lot of women compliment it (guys too, though in a non-gay fashion). And due to my background as a womanizer, I have no plans to change though I do have a soft spot for Dunhill classic when I want to wax nostalgic.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jovan Musk was my first.

I kind of have nice memories of this, though when I joined styleforum, the name took on a whole new horribleness.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Braggi and Zizanie de Fragonard.

egoiste

Reaction score
First used: Tommy Hilfiger (from my brother)
First as a gift: Nautica Blue
First bought: Prada Amber pour homme

I can't stand the TH smell anymore. The Nautica is quite nice for the price though.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone here old enough to remember Hai Karate? I saved lawn mowing money to buy my first bottle of that. I think it came in quarts.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics