• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Pianist(s)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who are they? Let's keep it under 10.

For me...Art Tatum and Oscar Peterson. Probably the two most talented players of the 20th century (yes, I'm lumping classical pianists in with them). Bill Evans isn't far off.

Horowitz is a given. I've also taken a liking to Rubinstein and Ashkenazy lately, especially the latter's Liszt interpretations.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Artur Rubenstein
Van Cliburn
Jorge Bolet
Glenn Gould

Art Tatum
Ray Bryant
Bill Evans
Vince Guaraldi

etl

Reaction score
Martha Argerich
Bill Evans
Mose Allison
Jools Holland (wince, waiting for the abuse on this one)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keith Jarrett?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jerry Lee Lewis
Esquerita
Phineas Newborn, Jr.
Schroeder (Vinny G.)
T.S. Monk
Bill Evans
Teddy Wilson

I loved watching Arthur Rubenstein & Alfred Brendel(?), but have never listened after that....

Connie's back!
bounce2.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i like Van Cliburn. i really love his showmanship style and striking technique on the piano. gentleman and a really kind man.

in the past, i love Chopin and Liszt.

if it were not for Chopin, we would not have uncovered hundreds of dark, enriched, lovely sweet melodies.

if it were not for Liszt, we would not have the image of the piano and pianist that we have today.

Chopin and Liszt were buddies.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree with most of the choices in this thread. I'd add Cecil Taylor and Artur Schnabel.

If we venture into the realm of electric, I'd also add Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea. Maybe Joe Zawinul as well.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
apparently rachmaninoff made a comment once that Art Tatum was the most complete/best pianist in the world? somebody confirm this little rumour i heard?

my list includes
liszt
glenn gould
argerich (on occasion)
bill evans
keith jarrett

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michiko Uchida
Emanuel Ax

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedlesinpink
apparently rachmaninoff made a comment once that Art Tatum was the most complete/best pianist in the world? somebody confirm this little rumour i heard?

I can very well see Rachmaninoff saying such a thing; he, Horowitz and Kapell (among others) were all in complete awe of Tatum, and would seek out every possible opportunity to hear him. My appreciation and respect for Tatum increased even further after transcribing some of his renditions--he truly was a phenomenon.

koji

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads