• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young Professional Wardrobe Guidance

bluefalcon

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to build a proper young professionals wardrobe. I have heard, 10 button down shirts, 5 slacks, 2 suits, 1-2 pairs of shoes, and a 2 belts. Is that a good amount? Should any of those be specific colors? I am very traditional, and if I could I would want to get this all done bespoke from London. I not really sure that is in my price range. At the same time, I am right out of college, and I sense that I will have these clothes for a very long time so I want to get the best possible clothes. In other words, I do not want to have to buy more clothes for a longtime. If bespoke or another expensive way is the way to go, maybe staggering the purchases would be the best option?

Right now, I have three pairs of polo chinos, two khaki and one blue. I have a few dress shirts, white, blue, blue with white stripes, and a Brooks Brothers suit. The shirts are not even 100% cotton, they are thin and purely synthetic.

I am looking for suggestions on, How many clothes of each type I should purchase? Where I should purchase the clothes? What I should get (e.g. Blue 100% British Isle Cotton button down shirt)? If the cost is high, How many and what clothes at each stage in the process?

In terms of budget, I think I could spend 3k on this maybe more, tops 5k. I would rather know what I should get and then I could budget it myself as long as I knew in what order I should get the items.

I really like dressing well. I talk with wealthy individuals and I want to look the part of a finance professional. In addition, I am young and I don't want to be perceived as a kid, I want to be respected as a professional and an adult. I look young and get confused with high school kids.

Thank you for your help. This was a long post, but I am very serious about this and appreciate all suggestions, advice, and answers.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) #s are good. but more shoes
2) thats a big outlay at once
3) its going to suck once your tastes evolve and you decide you dont like everything you bought in #2

bluefalcon

Reaction score
Good point. So I should take that into consideration when I make an action plan. That being said, what should my first step be?

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluefalcon
Good point. So I should take that into consideration when I make an action plan. That being said, what should my first step be?

As with everything, it depends. What do you do for a living? What is your workplace environment?

For most people, 3 pairs of shoes (2 brown and 1 black), 3 suits (black, charcoal, and navy), 15-20 dress shirts, 5-8 pairs of trousers, 10 ties, and 2 belts will be fine.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finance, but where in finance? Are you an advisor?

I ask because if you're an advisor you'll spend a great deal of your time meeting clients and should dress mostly in suits.

Regardless of suits or sportcoats if you are an advisor, i strongly suggest erring on the side of subtlety. If you want to get a good idea of what Not to do, walk into your local car dealership and see how the sales people dress.

Dark colored suits and sportcoats, light colored and subtle patterned shirts.

You should consider avoiding cliche' finance things such as contrast collars, though if done right they do look sharp.

I'm going to base my suggestions on you being a financial advisor:

5 worsted wool suits, conservative cut, dark colored, subtle pattern if any.
2 flannel suits for the winter
2 worsted wool light color suits for the summer like a light gray.

5 White barrel cuff spread collar shirts (solid).
5 subtle pattern shirts, all subtle patterns and conservative colors.

Ties: for ties i like a geometric pattern, I think pindots are a bit too formal, Muted yellow, Burgundy and Navy.

Black captoe shoes and dark brown wingtips, maybe some loafers in dark brown or black.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Start with a smaller rotation, this isnt just set-it and forget it so you will continue to buy things as your tastes evolve.

Start with the basics like Navy and Charcoal suits, buy something mid-ranged that you can afford to replace if you ruin it.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Emphasize quality over quantity by purchasing a few expensive items rather than lots of cheaper ones.

columbia92

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on, How many clothes of each type I should purchase? Where I should purchase the clothes? What I should get (e.g. Blue 100% British Isle Cotton button down shirt)? If the cost is high, How many and what clothes at each stage in the process?

In terms of budget, I think I could spend 3k on this maybe more, tops 5k. I would rather know what I should get and then I could budget it myself as long as I knew in what order I should get the items.

I think you can get away with spending about 2k if you make use of what you have currently and buy wisely. I think fit, fabric and style are very important.. I'd stick with conservative and always fashionable color such as plain white, blue or simple patterned white and blue color. Buy a lot of different ties. Mixing different ties and shirts with same suits will make people think you have several completely different outfit all together.

Due to my unsual body type, I personally prefer to buy from online MTM stores recommended on style forum.

bluefalcon

Reaction score
Hi,

These are great answer. For the record I am Comptroller of a company, but I act as an investment bank or business broker for other companies. Obviously, these two roles are unrelated.

So based on suggestions, I need to emphasize quality over quantity. Does that mean get custom tailored clothing. Start with a few shirts, maybe one or two. Then keep going back over time, as my existing clothing wears out?

What is your opinion of chinos over dress pants? I think dress pants gives a more older feel to it and there is much more than can be done with them.

So my thoughts are maybe, get two ***** and a pair of dress pants/slacks custom made. Start there and then begin to add more things every three months, as needed, or as things wear out. I would say next would be a good pair of shoes or maybe another pair of dress pants/slacks.

How does that sound in terms of going about this economically, but also trying to really bring a more mature look to what I already own?

I know there are threads on this too, but is there a specific place in Cambridge MA where the tailor is very knowledgeable, produces solid work, reasonably priced, and would be able to assist me? The Andover Shop is a commonly mentioned one, but I was wondering if one could be recommended based on our current discussion.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So based on suggestions, I need to emphasize quality over quantity. Does that mean get custom tailored clothing. Start with a few shirts, maybe one or two. Then keep going back over time, as my existing clothing wears out?

Yes. Do not buy too many clothes all at once. You may have to may frequent trips to the dry cleaner but it's well worth it in the long run.

Fair Rose

Reaction score
Hi, I want to build a proper young professionals wardrobe. I have heard, 10 button down shirts, 5 slacks, 2 suits, 1-2 pairs of shoes, and a 2 belts. Is that a good amount? Should any of those be specific colors? I am very traditional, and if I could I would want to get this all done bespoke from London. I not really sure that is in my price range. At the same time, I am right out of college, and I sense that I will have these clothes for a very long time so I want to get the best possible clothes. In other words, I do not want to have to buy more clothes for a longtime. If bespoke or another expensive way is the way to go, maybe staggering the purchases would be the best option? Right now, I have three pairs of polo chinos, two khaki and one blue. I have a few dress shirts, white, blue, blue with white stripes, and a Brooks Brothers suit. The shirts are not even 100% cotton, they are thin and purely synthetic. I am looking for suggestions on, How many clothes of each type I should purchase? Where I should purchase the clothes? What I should get (e.g. Blue 100% British Isle Cotton button down shirt)? If the cost is high, How many and what clothes at each stage in the process? In terms of budget, I think I could spend 3k on this maybe more, tops 5k. I would rather know what I should get and then I could budget it myself as long as I knew in what order I should get the items. I really like dressing well. I talk with wealthy individuals and I want to look the part of a finance professional. In addition, I am young and I don't want to be perceived as a kid, I want to be respected as a professional and an adult. I look young and get confused with high school kids. Thank you for your help. This was a long post, but I am very serious about this and appreciate all suggestions, advice, and answers.
You have three options. 1) Raid a Vintage store & then take your sartorial buys to a tailor. 2) MTM (Made to Measure) online stores. 3) Purchase Bespoke suits. Option 1) Find a favorite male actor or celebrity whose style you enjoy and mimic it. Print the pictures from online, or clip them out of your favorite men's magazines. Then find the closes vintage stores in your neighborhood and go sartorial diving (treasure hunting). Look for materials such as cotton & wool (since it will be summer soon), and find any pair of good brown shoes. If the clothes don't fit perfectly (which they won't), bring them to have them tailored, which shouldn't cost no more than $100-$200. Option 2) Made-to-Measure Suits. One word: Indochino. They make the best MTM suits for the best quality, and the best price. Your allowed to do awesome customizations (like pick stitching, ticket pocket, functional buttonholes on sleeves, and embroiling your name on the inside linen). Most of there suits range from the $300-$400 range w/ free shipping. And until February 22, they have a Chinese New Year promotion deal that for every suit you buy, you get one free tie & one free shirt. IF you go this route its best to find your measurements. These are the most important measurements. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Neck: Bicep Size: Wrist Size: Chest Size: Shoulders Size: Stomach Size: Sleeves Length: Sleeves: Hemmed or Unhemmed Jacket Length: Jacket Hips: Pant’s Length: Pants: Hemmed or Unhemmed Thigh: Pants Hips: Knee: Crotch: Waist: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ {Beware that your measurements may differ from what the overseas tailors know as proper, so I'd advise you to modify them accordingly this way: http://madetomeasureny.com/indochino-measurement-tips/} check out Indochino yourself: http://www.indochino.com/ Option 3) Bespoke Suits. Unless you have a cash flow around $10,000 I'd advise you to stay away from this. Although you'll find the best quality service, you also pay for what you get (you have a spending limit of about $3000-$5000, that right there is two suits alone). I'd say save that for a rainy day and build your arsenal (wardrobe) slowly but surely. That's the best way, and most affordable way to shop. And if you haven't already done so... create an eBay account for yourself. The best things I've bought, clothing wise, have been from great bidding and bargaining on eBay. All in all... you should want what I consider "The Basics" 1 Navy Suit (wool or cotton) 1 Grey Suit (wool) 1 Charcoal Suit (wool) 1 Black Suit (wool) 1 pair of black oxfords 1 pair of brown wingtips 1 pair of winter boots (if you live in an area where it snows in the fall) 3 Cotton White Dress shirts (at least one w/ French cuffs) 1 blue Dress shirt 1 pink Dress shirt 1 sky blue Dress shirt All of this is just my opinion. Stay classy. -Fair

tyborne

Reaction score
Start slow. Shop around. Add pieces one at a time.
Being that you are starting from square one you will want to find what you like. Everyone has different taste and you will develop your own. Every store fits their clothes differently. You will find stores you like and stores you don't. Don't go drop a ton of money on clothes you may not like in a few months.
I would suggest you get yourself a good fitting OTR suit (nothing cheap). Bring it to a tailor and let him work his magic. You'll add more as you go. Try a grey or navy to start (avoid a straight black for now). A slim fit two button is a good place to start.
Next sample a couple shirts. Try a few different stores and brands. Have yourself measured so you get the right size. Again avoid the cheap ones. If need be, don't be afraid to have you tailor make a few adjustments to these as well.
Match them up with a few ties. No cartoons or crazy colours. Keep it simple for now. Look for slim not skinny.
Next shoes. Get one black and one brown. Look for the classics. A long wingtip or a plain toe blucher. Buy one of each. Never wear your shoes two days in row. Use shoe horns and take care of them and they will last you a lifetime. (this is why you are starting with the classics)
*Do not buy pointy, square or similar toes. Think classic like your grandfather wore. If need be raid his shoe closet. There is probably some shoe gold in there.
Next get yourself socks and belts. Match your socks to your pants and your belt to you shoes. Not the other way around.
Happy shopping.

stumy

Reaction score
Fair Rose's advice not well informed by the standards of styleforum. Skinnygoomba's advice is much better.

I would recommend going to BB and checking out the fitzgerald.(for $500 on sale) Don't do MTM right now. Get something decent off the rack and get to know a tailor that can make it fit you.

p.s., do not buy a black suit for heavens sake.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd go OTR for everything to start. Bespoke and MTM is by far more costly, and if you are right out of college there's a good chance your body will change in 5 years, and again in another 5 years, especially since you are on a budget. If you're loaded, well, thats another story.

Patek14

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to build a proper young professionals wardrobe. I have heard, 10 button down shirts, 5 slacks, 2 suits, 1-2 pairs of shoes, and a 2 belts. Is that a good amount? Should any of those be specific colors? I am very traditional, and if I could I would want to get this all done bespoke from London. I not really sure that is in my price range. At the same time, I am right out of college, and I sense that I will have these clothes for a very long time so I want to get the best possible clothes. In other words, I do not want to have to buy more clothes for a longtime. If bespoke or another expensive way is the way to go, maybe staggering the purchases would be the best option?

Right now, I have three pairs of polo chinos, two khaki and one blue. I have a few dress shirts, white, blue, blue with white stripes, and a Brooks Brothers suit. The shirts are not even 100% cotton, they are thin and purely synthetic.

I really like dressing well. I talk with wealthy individuals and I want to look the part of a finance professional. In addition, I am young and I don't want to be perceived as a kid, I want to be respected as a professional and an adult. I look young and get confused with high school kids.

Thank you for your help. This was a long post, but I am very serious about this and appreciate all suggestions, advice, and answers.

As long as you aren't under the gun to load up on a new wardrobe (i.e., right out of college, own 1 suit, and need to wear a suit every day) I suggest you incrementally add and not buy all at once.

This will allow you more flexibility to take advantage of sales, let your tastes evolve, and spread out budget impacts. Plus shopping is fun and you can turn it into a mini hobby.

You should describe the workplace setting you will be in. This is important because your environment will dictate what you should do, and then you can choose how to adapt to be happy with your dressing.

The only thing I can say right off the bat is you need more than 1-2 shoes and 2 belts. You should give your shoes at least 1 day of rest in between and this forces a minimum of two shoes. In reality, this is not enough rest. You want to match your leathers and have flexibility (i.e., oxfords, derbies, loafers, colors, and some rubber/synthetic roles or overshoes for bad weather). Possibly 1 black oxford, 1 cordovan or brown derby, and a loafer as a start.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fasdff