• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You English-made goods just got more expensive

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see Peal & Co. stuff running in the $500s come fall '07 season - if not sooner. Let alone all the big dog names
censored.gif

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...561383,00.html

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can't we enlist some currency speculators to help us out here?

augustin

Reaction score
The discussion of expected price increases in the linked article was even more discouraging than the exchange rate information. Have domestic shoe prices (that is, in pounds) been going up in the past year? And all this just when I'm beginning to think about some C&J Coniston's.
frown.gif

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it's too late to beat the currency increases, obviously. As for the price increases, that should mostly be for goods that are sold domestically from imported supplies: where does leather come from? Manufacturers that export the majority of their product will have to cut prices to maintain demand: who buys most of the British-made shoes? In the long run, higher currency will allow manufacturers to invest in automation, so we should expect more machine-work in British-made goods.
confused.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting concern considering that items from other places are priced artificially high already because of the cachet of the brand name. At least many English things (import duties aside) are priced at the quality level and not for the privilege of wearing the name on one's sleeve.

This general downplay of fahionista fever in English jacket and tie styles is one of the reasons I am writing a few essays on the English look.

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...l-white-rabbit

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I went to a Tampa GTG for TimeZone and hung out with some wealthy watch collectors in November. They said shopping here was so cheap it paid for the trip. Polo items (yeah I know) were half price to them even at full retail. Some bought watches as well though the discount was a bit less. Apparently British folk are taking Easyjet flights into NYC purely for shopping reasons.

On the other hand, some deals can still be found in Italy. These days are tough on us artisan fans.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can fly in NYC for the weekend, hit up all the better retailers and pay in £ for the same Italian makers 1/2 of what the latter sell for in London
devil.gif

Plus, they won't be hammered by 17.5% VAT

augustin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Well it's too late to beat the currency increases, obviously.

Some say there's more to come. So here's another reason to buy those John Lobbs, as a dollar hedge. Try that one on the wife....

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by augustin
Some say there's more to come. So here's another reason to buy those John Lobbs, as a dollar hedge. Try that one on the wife....

Shoes as a currency hedge. I like the way you think!

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pound hits new 1981 peak at 2.0303 dollars

Jul 11 05:15 AM US/Eastern

The pound leapt to yet another 26-year pinnacle against the dollar on Wednesday amid US housing market concerns and the prospect of higher interest rates in Britain, dealers said.
The pound jumped to 2.0303 dollars in early European trade -- the highest level since 1981. It later stood at 2.0288 dollars.

Meanwhile, the euro had struck a fresh record high of 1.3787 dollars in earlier deals.

Currency investors are focused on interest rate differentials, boosting currencies from areas with better prospects for higher rates, such as the eurozone and Britain.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why did i discover english shoes in 2006 and not in 2003, when it was $1.60 a GBP
frown.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I bought Berluti for $550 in Milan in 2000. I bought EG around the same time for I think $600-650.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads