• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You English-made goods just got more expensive

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their quote doesn't have to change. It's your dollar-2-pound conversion rate that keeps going up
devil.gif

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly in his particular case the mad 40% swings make no sense
plain.gif

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
The exchange has never fluctuated that much.....

In a year? Could be wrong but I recall a move that cost me quite a bit ten years ago. I see a 20% decline against the pound in 2003 but can't easily find any charts that go back further than five years.

Perhaps someone in the forex business will have the data.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is why I paid up front for my tailoring in the last 18 months. That Visa bill sucked but it would suck a lot more now.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Can't we enlist some currency speculators to help us out here?
It is actually alarmingly easy to trade currencies - and to do so with borrowed money.

There are a number of online brokers that let you do that.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why is everything I'm interesting in buying made in the UK or the Continent? I wish there was something made in America I wanted to buy right now, because the exchange rate is just fabulous.

Maybe I should just take a holiday to the States soon instead.
smile.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
It is actually alarmingly easy to trade currencies - and to do so with borrowed money.

Indeed:

Thousands of investors have cashed in on Japan's low interest rates"”the lowest in the world"”and the Bank of Japan's reluctance to raise them for fear of deflation. These investors, many of them ordinary Japanese housewives, have managed this through what is known as the "yen-carry trade".

Here's an example of how it works. A Japanese investor"”let's call her Mrs. Nakamura"”borrows yen to buy U.S. treasury bonds. Since the cost of borrowing in Japan is so low, she can make money merely due to the difference between the T-bills' interest rate, somewhere just north of 4.5 percent depending on the maturity date, and the almost negligible rate of interest she pays on her yen loan. Even better, because the yen keeps sliding in value against the dollar, Mrs. Nakamura can sell her T-bills for dollars, buy more yen with them than the amount she orginally borrowed, and pocket the difference. Yatta! (as the Japanese often say when they're celebrating.) For now, it's a win-win investment.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
One interesting thing Murray Pearlstein of Louis Boston said to me in 2001 was that he bought Italian goods in Italy with Lira which helped him offer up a better deal on Kiton and Brioni than Neimans. He did have some low prices at the time.

I wonder how much impact this exchange rate has on vendors:

On one hand, people like EG and Lobb must have a luxury customer who may be somewhat insensitive.

On the other hand, those of us less wealthy customers definitely cut back on the total pairs of shoes, etc. we order when the prices spike up...and tourism must also be an important part of sales. With London so expensive, it must hurt Jermyn Street and Savile Row.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
On the other hand, those of us less wealthy customers definitely cut back on the total pairs of shoes, etc. we order when the prices spike up...and tourism must also be an important part of sales. With London so expensive, it must hurt Jermyn Street and Savile Row.

Suppliers on the Row I know have always said their business sees a distinct decline whenever the pound is above $1.80.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Suppliers on the Row I know have always said their business sees a distinct decline whenever the pound is above $1.80.

Makes the NYC tailors seem like a relative bargain.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Time to travel South of Rome. At least it will be once they re-start garbage pickup.

Now that's a field trip I can get behind. Does TipTop have a store in Rome?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Now that's a field trip I can get behind. Does TipTop have a store in Rome?
No, the finest fabric store in Italy is located in Bologna. Vintage fabric galore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads