Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

yet another wife thread: how much of your wardrobe is wife approved?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by w.o.e.is.me., Jan 22, 2010.

1. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

In the event that you purchase something she isn't crazy about, does it go back?
    or are you of the mindset that if it makes you happy, that is all that matters?
    happy home >>> happy closet?
    (not that the two have to be mutually exclusive)

2. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

Men that ask for approval from their wives always strike me as pathetic.

3. gators241987

gators241987 Active Member

Got a better way to propose then?

4. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

I don't think it is pathetic, but I certainly don't trust her. Very few women know much about men's style and how to dress a man. I basically wear what I want to wear and she does the same on her end.

5. w.o.e.is.me.

Very few women know much about men's style and how to dress a man. I basically wear what I want to wear and she does the same on her end.

Interesting, and, I think, very astute point.

6. furo

furo Senior member

I've shown my wife a few posts and articles about men's "proper" style, and for xmas she bought me Flusser's Dressing the Man. So now, I'm pretty confident in her opinion, although I still trust my gut now and then. Most of my wardrobe is "wife approved" and to prove that, a lot of the pre SF stuff is on its way to the Goodwill this weekend courtesy of my wife's "house cleaning" [​IMG]

7. w.o.e.is.me.

for xmas she bought me Flusser's Dressing the Man.
    I got this for Xmas too.
    go figure.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I don't ask my wife for approval of anything I buy, but we do discuss how we spend our money. while I am the principal breadwinner, she is responsible for the household bills and economics. neither of us spend money on anything stupid.

9. marc237

marc237 Senior member

My wife and I disagree over several things regarding men's clothing. For example, she detests windowpanes and plaids generally. She also prefers ventless jackets over two vented jackets.

Also, her eye for men's shoes is not discerning. For example, she can not appreciate the difference between my AE and my Martenagi captoe bal boots.

So, I will call on her for some color judgments, but not so much else as concerns clothing.

10. Icehawk

Icehawk Senior member

I always show her the stuff I buy and ask if she likes it but unless she tells me it looks terrible on me or something it doesn't matter too much. For example, bought a Malo sweater which to me is amazing compared to the BB and J Crew ones we've owned but it got a ho-hum and a shrug out of her... I'm fortunate in that there is no approval BS for purchases as long as they are a reasonable amount - either of us can spend more without a harangue from the other as long as we are aware of the expense and can afford it.

11. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

My wife pays attention. Her change in clothing and her scrutiny on shoes, cut, combinations has also changed. she works with doctors and executives and frequently comes home with stories about how awful some of the clothing choices are. So if something looks off, she says something. She's a designer and I trust her judgement. This works both ways.

12. furo

furo Senior member

Anyone ever heard this line from the wife?: "I'm not going out with you tonight if you wear that"

She was joking, but I changed [​IMG]

13. Doxe

Doxe Senior member

I find the biggest issue is that I always look too "dressed-up". If she's going out in jeans and a top and I'm wearing a blazer and flannels she feels underdressed. She may have a point when we're only going grocery shopping.

14. marin

marin Senior member

When my wife and I met in grad school, our preferences for style and color were quite different. Now our tastes have both converged and progressed as we've been exposed to nicer things. Of course, SF has taken this to a whole new level

I usually consult my wife because I have a very mild case of color blindness, and I need her to make sure I'm buying what I think I'm buying. [​IMG]

15. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

My wife likes my clothes and the way I dress. She does not always see why I need to get the perfect fit on my MTM shirts, but other than that she likes me to dress a little niver than jeans and a t-shirt. My only purchase she does not like is my new red pants. She is just not used to the brighter colors.