• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yet another wife thread: how much of your wardrobe is wife approved?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
In the event that you purchase something she isn't crazy about, does it go back?

Are you serious? Unless you are buying assless chaps, why would this matter?

I dress for myself and my wife knows and respects that. She also thinks I dress like a boring academic but who cares? In fact, she usually asks for my advice when getting dressed or packing to travel.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
well there's that, but I wouldn't want her wearing the nurse's outfit out in public. she does have to look presentable when we're out also
smile.gif

Lucky boy...I love nurse's outfit even if the ones who cared for me at my local hospital were
bloody ugly.

The UK nurse's outfits are just awful...Dark blue horrible things.

Give me anyday a country where they have white outfits and white suspenders..
'

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
not that I seek her approval, but wifey loves it when I wear the MC stuff. otoh, most days I find myself wearing SW&D and since I started drinking the SF kool-aid (red wings, selvage jeans, workwear shirt...) she's keeping her mouth shut disapprovingly, except one time she said I looked "rustic".

rgoldstein

Reaction score
My GF loves that I know how to dress.
bigstar[1].gif
So many men nowadays don't.

She's advised me on the purchase of two of my ties, both of which I really love, so I trust her taste very much but I don't call on her that often.

Gutman

Reaction score
Generally she likes my stuff, although i get the odd comment on the number of shoes i have "accumulated". only adverse reactions are on some of my more extreme items (ie, a jeevesian "are you wearing that to work today?"), and generally i end up agreeing with her on those. so a positive influence all round. best bit is she likes thrifting as much as me which is great.

Cherokeepilot

Reaction score
I learned at a very early age not to totally trust women's opinion about clothes nor style. I first learned that with my mother. I loved her very much, however, mom's choice of ties and shirts were just terrible. When my folks were still living, at Christmas with the normal exchange of gifts, mom would give Dad and me ties which were very expensive good brands, but were just ugly. I didn't realise that certain well known stores would have such bad looking ties. Dad and I would wordlessly look at each other with that kind of expression of "Do you want to exchange?"

Later when married, I went through a couple of ex's who were just demanding that I wear a certain look. Remember the leisure suit craze with patent shoes with gold trimed sole edging. That was on a bank chairman. That ex thought it looked wonderful and said that my three piece brooks was dowdy. I was thinking of that when we had to shut down that bank. Also, that marriage didn't end well.

My current wife is a foreign national with a different approach to style(french colonial). She understands that my work demands suits, ties, and a white collar approach to dressing for business. This wife grew up in a society which is a bit stratified and class driven. In her culture, clothes make the man. Or at least until he speaks and removes all doubt.

Also, we are both in uniform that started out as part-time but has grown to fulltime. The dressing is regulated as in uniform of the day or mission. However, we evaluate how well our uniform dress sits. Suggestions as to corrections are taken as one professional evaluating another without getting upset. And yes, this marriage seems to be developing far differently than the others. So much so that I keep saying "Dear Lord, don't let me screw this one up this time."
73s

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads