• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet another wedding-wear question

lukemil

Reaction score
Gentlemen of StyleForum,

I'd like your suggestions on dress for attending a wedding in Atlanta in May in the late afternoon. The bride is a friend of my wife's and I may well be the least important guest. I think it will be a relatively big wedding at around 200 attendees. Here's the catch: the invitation specified "no ties." Now I suspect that I am in agreement with the majority of you that that is no way to have a wedding, but the lucky couple did not ask my opinion. My inclination is a blue blazer over a shirt with a pattern that includes white, a pocket square, cotton or linen pants (seersucker?), and suede shoes (bucks or semi-brogues), but I am curious what suggestions you all might have. Actually, my inclination is the same tux and bow tie that I would wear if the invitation had indicated black tie, but my wife has encouraged me to follow the instructions.

Thanks in advance.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A wedding with no ties is better than your typical American daytime wedding in evening clothes. Having said that, your proposed ensemble sounds approriate. Alternatively you could think about a linen or even seersucker suit. You just don't want to look like a businessman who took off his tie.

Montrachet

Reaction score
I think your blazer combo would be perfect. If you go with seersucker though, be careful if you're wearing a shirt with a pattern.

lukemil

Reaction score
Despite trying to sound tough about my preference for black tie, I don't have the sand to wear a cravat.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is a backwoods Southern wedding they mean no "plastic zip" ties. Bring your handcuffs. Your "seven minutes of heaven" with Uncle George in the woodshed will be fun. This is how you merge families in them parts.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lukemil
Actually, my inclination is the same tux and bow tie that I would wear if the invitation had indicated black tie, but my wife has encouraged me to follow the instructions.
Show them respect and follow the dress code if you intend to attend.

This wedding is about them - the bride and groom - and certainly not about the partner of a friend of the bride attempting to up the sartorial ante in a display of dress code chutzpah.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you that this is no way to have a wedding, but that is besides the point it is there day and if that's what they want then you'll just have to deal with it. You could be smug and dress to teh fullest of your extent but follow the rules by keeping the tie absent. Seriously though I would go with a nice shirt and pair of slacks, you could add a vest or something but I wouldn't expect to see many top peices there.

lukemil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Show them respect and follow the dress code if you intend to attend.

This wedding is about them - the bride and groom - and certainly not about the partner of a friend of the bride attempting to up the sartorial ante in a display of dress code chutzpah.

apropos -

Was it not clear that despite my inclination, that is my intention?

MortyGras

Reaction score
Old school wedding outfits are balling!
Bryllupsklar-1951-CornellCapa-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics