• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet another Mad Men attempt at Clothing: Banana Republic's new line

projectrtown

Reaction score
I am a complete newbie -- easily impressed by simple camera and lighting tricks in pictures -- and even I was underwhelmed by Banana Republic's Mad Men line. You can see it online on their site, and I went to the store yesterday to catch the unveiling.

To update us all, this is by my count the third attempt at creating a line in collaboration with the designers of the show. There was a previous one by Banana Republic (BR), and one by Brooks Brothers (BB). Since BB and Ralph Lauren (RL) were the two iconic American brands that created the original look of the Mad Men era, the BB attempt feels more authentic. Good marketing, I guess.

Anyway, as I was saying, I was underwhelmed by BR's latest line. On this forum, it is a widely held opinion that BR's quality is poor (often people jump in to add that they are good value for money on discount). Because discussions of BR quality have been visited so often, I don't wish it to become the topic on this thread.

I do want to discuss what it means to have a Mad Men line though. I guess, here are my thoughts:

1. What is actually unique and compelling about the Mad Men look? Narrow Lapels, close fit, soft shoulders. Is that it? Can't that be replicated by anyone? Do you need a special line? Can't any suit by any brand with that cluster of common features be "Mad Men"? Or are there subtle stylings I am missing?

2. If there isn't "that much" that makes the suits very different, why are they so compelling on the show? Is it the actors and the setting that makes them so?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding your first point, it's all marketing. Nothing to do with quality.

Regarding your second point, If you look at the clothes they wear on the show many are not super slim. They're fitted, but not nearly as much as what I've seen from this BR line. It's almost like they equate skinny lapels with skinny which just isn't the case. The guys on the show look pretty comfortable in their clothes. I've heard some of the actors find them more snug than clothes they're used to wearing off-set, but they don't really look it to me eye.

lemmy127

Reaction score

I do want to discuss what it means to have a Mad Men line though. I guess, here are my thoughts:

1. What is actually unique and compelling about the Mad Men look? Narrow Lapels, close fit, soft shoulders. Is that it? Can't that be replicated by anyone? Do you need a special line? Can't any suit by any brand with that cluster of common features be "Mad Men"? Or are there subtle stylings I am missing?

2. If there isn't "that much" that makes the suits very different, why are they so compelling on the show? Is it the actors and the setting that makes them so?
1. Nothing unique or compelling. Just styled by what was popular in that time. 2. I wouldn't say they are compelling on the show. The show is a monster hit and guys want to emulate a style and perceived sophistication that is from a bygone era. Everyone wants to be Don Draper (maybe minus some traits, but the undeniable cool for certain). I'd compare it to women getting "The Rachel" hairstyle when Friends was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't wait for MadMen to start again. I hope they wake up in 1972 and Don's got long hair, wide lapels and a mustache.

Last edited:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
So... MC doesn't have a "random thoughts" thread and I don't want to blast the forum with a new thread just for me and this topic seems to be the closest in subject, so check this out. Apologies if this is off-topic:

I decided to enter this contest to get some "walk on" part in Mad Men, just for the hell of it. If SF people want to vote for me, that would be rad. I think I remember hearing a few people did this before, but dunno if anyone from here ended up winning. Figured I may as well give it a shot and I put up my best Don Draper DTO.

http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/browse/detail/58a425587140d74f8045aa44f037ed1566d715ba

I have no clue what I'd do with $1k at BR though, so maybe all my friends will get free socks or something.

This suit was for a wedding; I know it's off in a couple of obvious ways. for this purpose though, I think it works. I subsequently had the shoulders narrowed after this shot and it looks a lot better now. Suit is MW; shirt is moderntailor, tie is vintage A&F, shoes are vintage Stetson Shoe Company

projectrtown

Reaction score
It is not really off topic, but there are two things to be said:

1. What constitutes Mad Men style? I think this is what I was trying to get at in the first place. For instance, what makes your suit a Mad Men suit? I listed some elements, but is that complete?
-- Narrow Lapels
-- Fitted but not as tightly as the very tightest modern styles (thanks, Slewfoot, for the observation)
-- Low button stance, but still above the belly button
-- Some uncommon accessories (Fedora, Tie Clip)
-- Soft shoulders
What else?

2. I am a huge fan of the show, and I love the style (to Lemmy's point) so in some senses this post is aimed at other Mad Men fans. But if someone wore the outfit as described, would it evoke Mad Men or just look like a suit nowadays? Do you need the set and the beautiful faces to evoke Mad Men?
Case in point:Stanley had to grab a drink.

viator

Reaction score

It is not really off topic, but there are two things to be said:

1. What constitutes Mad Men style? I think this is what I was trying to get at in the first place. For instance, what makes your suit a Mad Men suit? I listed some elements, but is that complete?
-- Narrow Lapels
-- Fitted but not as tightly as the very tightest modern styles (thanks, Slewfoot, for the observation)
-- Low button stance, but still above the belly button
-- Some uncommon accessories (Fedora, Tie Clip)
-- Soft shoulders
What else?

>
Interestingly enough, one of the more striking things is that you're seeing people wearing clothes that match the characteristics you mentioned, but they're also doing it in the context of conservative business dress: dark conservative suits, white shirts, classic ties.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You should go to a vintage shop and look at some 60s suits. There will be quite a few subtle differences between today's suit and whatever BR or Brooks is doing. Most likely it will be a sack (no front darts), 3-button, sometimes an unusual lapel notch (e.g. one corner rounded), have a hook vent in the back, the pants will be flat front with a very long rise, and the fabric might contain some futuristic material like Dacron. Shoulders will be "natural" with very little padding. The fit was not skinny, in fact could be quite baggy (sacky?), but the thin lapels and flat front trousers made it look "clean". The fabrics would be in somber, desaturated color like gray and olive worn with a white shirt and dark skinny tie.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I can't wait for MadMen to start again. I hope they wake up in 1972 and Don's got long hair, wide lapels and a mustache.
This would be awesome.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So... MC doesn't have a "random thoughts" thread and I don't want to blast the forum with a new thread just for me and this topic seems to be the closest in subject, so check this out. Apologies if this is off-topic:

I decided to enter this contest to get some "walk on" part in Mad Men, just for the hell of it. If SF people want to vote for me, that would be rad. I think I remember hearing a few people did this before, but dunno if anyone from here ended up winning. Figured I may as well give it a shot and I put up my best Don Draper DTO.
http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/browse/detail/58a425587140d74f8045aa44f037ed1566d715ba

I have no clue what I'd do with $1k at BR though, so maybe all my friends will get free socks or something.

This suit was for a wedding; I know it's off in a couple of obvious ways. for this purpose though, I think it works. I subsequently had the shoulders narrowed after this shot and it looks a lot better now. Suit is MW; shirt is moderntailor, tie is vintage A&F, shoes are vintage Stetson Shoe Company
Ah, so they're doing this again. Maybe I should have another go, for the hell of it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads