• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

xMAS gift idea for a new female friend.

videogeek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
Please, no gifts outside a committed relationship. I understand the temptation, but this will hurt your cause.

Just wish her a happy christmas, done.

+1

The only way this would be different is if she was a "special non-committed friend" you've had for 6 months or more. Clearly not your case. Take her out to a nice dinner and be done with it.

slumdawgbillionaire

Reaction score
Why would you customize a windbreaker? We're talking about a nike windbreaker right?

since you mentioned both of you enjoy hiking, maybe get her a camel pak, or a nalgene water bottle from REI. A new pair of hiking shoes or shoes, something she can use.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slumdawgbillionaire
Why would you customize a windbreaker? We're talking about a nike windbreaker right?

since you mentioned both of you enjoy hiking, maybe get her a camel pak, or a nalgene water bottle from REI. A new pair of hiking shoes or shoes, something she can use.

facepalm.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
give her a card and inside have a picture of you smiling. when shes like 'wtf' be like 'your gift is spending time with me'

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^Cut out a round picture of your face smiling, and set it as the face of a clock. Same message, but 1,000,000x awesomer.

brown eyes

Reaction score
Best Buy has the Logitech V220 wireless optical mouse for $9.99, that's about 50% off!

I assume she owns a laptop.

if she doesn't, you could always cut a hole in a box.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nada. If you're too nice you'll be punished by the withholding of sex. If she happens to get you something, tell her you're Russian Orthodox and you don't celebrate until Jan 6th.

Benzito

Reaction score
Marvin Gaye's Greatest Hits Live (1990), track 8. If she doesn't figure it out, she's not your friend.

kdv10

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the ideas! Reading what people wrote made things clearer. A lot of good suggestions.

What I ended up doing, was booking a Sunday brunch for the two of us at a fabulous five star hotel along the coast right after xMas. I figured, I'd just call her on Xmas day and wish her the best. Inside, I'm dying to get her a gift, but am refraning from doing so as most suggested. I'm probably going to make a bookmark and have it painted and laminated to give to her when I see her next Sunday.

On a side note, if you were following this thread, I'd like to ask another question that has me perplexed.

We went out to lunch today and she insisted on picking up the tab (4th date). The first 3 dates, I picked up the tab. Nothing wrong here, except she is still a student with no income. She tells me about how she needs to keep up her grades in order to receive her student loans, so I know for certain she is on a student budget. I love the fact she makes the gesture of paying and I admire her for this. On our 3rd date, we went to an expensive restaurant. When the bill came, she wanted to 'pitch in', but I told her, I really appreciated it and since she was a student that I will take care of it. I mentioned, perhaps, when she finished school and got a job, she could pay for some of our outings.

Now that she is on Xmas break, we are starting to see more of each other and doing more things together. I know this sharing the cost thing will creep up again sooner or later. I'm at a point in my life where I'm doing quite well and don't mind picking up the tab all the time -- at least for this girl. So my question is this: Is there a better way to handle this? If so, how would I go about telling her? What to say?

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GL in your relationship.
If the issue does evolve into a detailed conversation id just explain to her that its simple and that theres no need to make a contest or issue out of it, you have a comfortable income and shes still in school therefore its more appropriate and that itdnt feel right otherwise.

As for christmas im in the no gift gift thingie but if you find something funny/relevant and simple go ahead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics