• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: Dress Socks for 1L

lawguy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm beginning to amass my wardrobe for my biglaw summer job in Chicago. I'm not quite ready to add pocket squares to my repertoire (I know this will eventually be in the "turning the corner" thread), but I would like to accessorize with some nice patterned dress socks. As a law student I don't have much money to spend, but I'm willing to invest what needs to be invested.

I'm planning on wearing a suit everyday as this is what most attorneys were wearing when I interviewed at the office. But I may fall to peer pressure (I'm told other summer associates dress business casual most days). What should I be looking for in a summer dress sock? What needs to be spent? Where should I look?...

Thanks in advance,
lg

drducky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would concur with that
it also allows you to find that you like in socks as far as length, fabric composition
I personally have moved away from cotton socks, as I don't like the colors fading, and merino and cashmere/angora/etc. allow for color fastness
once you have some disposable income, you can buy some of my Borrelli socks!!

daveboxster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawguy
Hi Everyone,

I'm beginning to amass my wardrobe for my biglaw summer job in Chicago. I'm not quite ready to add pocket squares to my repertoire (I know this will eventually be in the "turning the corner" thread), but I would like to accessorize with some nice patterned dress socks. As a law student I don't have much money to spend, but I'm willing to invest what needs to be invested.

I'm planning on wearing a suit everyday as this is what most attorneys were wearing when I interviewed at the office. But I may fall to peer pressure (I'm told other summer associates dress business casual most days). What should I be looking for in a summer dress sock? What needs to be spent? Where should I look?...

Thanks in advance,
lg

Glad to hear that you want to differeniate yourself with some patterned socks. I did the same thing when I had my first suit-a-day job.

TJ Max, Marshalls are great suggestions. Also try the outlet stores of Niemens, Saxs, etc. Cole Hahn has some nice ones. I really like Jhane Barnes socks with a suit and you can find them fairly cheap at Niemens.

I always tried to have the base color of the socks match my pants, and then some kind of pattern (personally, I never liked argyles with a suit). I have some Nagranis that look great with a suit as well (more of the "normal" colors with not-so-bright colors in the patterns). The are expensive, but you can find them on this site for good prices. Occasionally, I would branch out and wear a great wine-colored sock when I wore a tie and braces to match them.

Also, (some my scream at this), but I have some very dressy loafers that allowed me to show more sock when I wanted to. I'd suggest that as well (just make sure the loafers are a style meant to wear with a suit).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads