• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrinkle Resistant Wool, 'Classic Fit' Suit?

ElJamoquio

Reaction score
Looking for a suit.

Requirements:

1) Charcoal or medium grey
2) As wrinkle-resistant as possible with a wool suit
3) Not slim-fit
4) Side Vents.

I'm not an enormous guy on the top but a long career as a endurance athlete has produced large legs that do not fit well into 'slim-fit' pants. Side vents are required.

Wants, not needs:
5) Notch lapel is preferred but not required
6) Two-button preferred but not required.

Any help? I've been traveling quite a bit lately, so a suit that I can wear on the plane or put in the suitcase and not-be-required-to-iron would be helpful.

Budget is flexible. I doubt I would pay $2k for any suit, but I would pay $1k if enough people said it was durable and perfect. $500 would be more my preference but of course $0 would be my preference.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go and visit some shops to establish what you prefer and which fits. Those specifications are just generic and don't describe any one manufacturer over another.

ElJamoquio

Reaction score
Go and visit some shops to establish what you prefer and which fits. Those specifications are just generic and don't describe any one manufacturer over another.

I haven't found any manufacturer that meets all of the criteria above. More than happy to look at one that does.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only had great experience with Zegna Microsphere and High-Performance fabrics.

I don't think Zegna makes any suits now that are non-slim, at least not trousers. Best bet with them would be MTM or New-old stock on Ebay. Older Zegna fit. Roma suits in the above fabrics would probably be perfect.

Canali "Travel" suits are also wrinkle resistant. Their models are a bit weird, but check out their 10xxx or 11xxx line suits. (Lower number, less slim fitting)

MannyGermany

Reaction score
My two cents would be MTM. I was a body builder and military athlete that sported a drop of 12 in my prime with large thighs and calves. Unless I went seperates or spent a lot of money tailoring traditional OTR suiting never worked.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really no purpose in bumping, if what is on offer as RTW does not meet your demands then bespoke or MTM is your option.

ElJamoquio

Reaction score
Really no purpose in bumping, if what is on offer as RTW does not meet your demands then bespoke or MTM is your option.

Actually I got 2 very useful answers after bumping!

MTM is of course available as well but I go into largely unmapped territory there in terms of the wrinkle-ability of the suit.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
You will get a better selection of wrinkle-resistant cloths in MTM. Check out the 'unfunded liabilities' thread for lots of suggestions. Any decent MTM operation will be able to access the more common options. Adequate MTM exists (which will in any case be a better fit) at the 1k level, £ or $.

Crispaire fabric would be a good choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads