• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you recommend a first car (for a 22 y/o)?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zeni

Moral of the story, if you do go used, be sure to inspect every inch.

This should be obvious to even the densest of morons. Suggesting against used cars because your buddies bought out of warranty luxury cars with accident damage is laughable.

Agnacious

Reaction score
How about a mini-cooper?

You would at least stand out amoungst the crowd of some of your options; honda. toyota, acura which pretty much all look the same to me.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about your age and have a 96 Lexus ES. Basically a glorified Camry. So far it has been reliable and still looks pretty modern. For 10K you could probably get a 99-01 model year which is still a good looking car IMO.

2001_Lexus_ES300_(Black)_331511_-_2.jpg

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
I'm about your age and have a 96 Lexus ES. Basically a glorified Camry. So far it has been reliable and still looks pretty modern. For 10K you could probably get a 99-01 model year which is still a good looking car IMO.

2001_Lexus_ES300_(Black)_331511_-_2.jpg

I use to have a 97' ES300. For 10k you can EASILY get a 96' model or newer. When I sold mine, it had 184,000 miles.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I use to have a 97' ES300. For 10k you can EASILY get a 96' model or newer. When I sold mine, it had 184,000 miles.

Yeah mine has 149k right now and I haven't found anything that doesn't work on it (washer fluid sprays, heated seats work, all the lights on the console still light up, etc.) It runs like a dream and is eerily quiet inside even on the highway. Better than some new American cars I've driven.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
Yeah mine has 149k right now and I haven't found anything that doesn't work on it (washer fluid sprays, heated seats work, all the lights on the console still light up, etc.) It runs like a dream and is eerily quiet inside even on the highway. Better than some new American cars I've driven.

The heated seat on the driver's side broke on mine, but that's about it. They make terrific cars.

zeni

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
This should be obvious to even the densest of morons. Suggesting against used cars because your buddies bought out of warranty luxury cars with accident damage is laughable.

As I said early, both were low-mileage, not to mention from reputable dealers. Nevertheless, I advised them against buying. Despite your condescension, many intelligent people who aren't car-literate DO buy used only by putting their faith in the dealer/source. Personally, I'd rather have a brand new 10k car than a former leased model that someone beat to **** for 30k miles but whatev. People drive ****** and abuse all sorts of cars, not just luxury ones. My point was only that if he goes used, stick with something low-maintenance and check it over carefully.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
How about a mini-cooper?

You would at least stand out amoungst the crowd of some of your options; honda. toyota, acura which pretty much all look the same to me.

He'd stand out, but those cars are notorious for poor reliability.

theguy

Reaction score
get an 02-03 maxima and abuse it
6spd
255 hp
246 torque
built in japan
heated seats/steering wheel

I had the car for awhile, and drove it like I stole it for about 3 years
No problems, besides changing oil, brake pads and taking premium fuel

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will get a car around this price range tomorrow. It will be my first car.

I want to give my thanks to everyone who suggested realistic options, and want to express my displeasure to those who suggested used luxury cars.

Bruce9241

Reaction score
If you're going Japanese, stick with Toyota or Honda. I recommend Toyota.

I used to drive a Toyota and it lasted forever. I drove the **** out of that car. (off roading, fast accelerations, bumper cars). Toyota warranty and service is generally better than Nissan. I currently drive a Nissan and although I enjoy the performance and looks of the car, I hate the service warranty. It seems like every Nissan dealership service department is out to screw you.

When my Camry blew an engine (my fault), they took care of it. Nissan doesn't even want repair little things (cd player stopped working, rear windshield liquid spray leaks, window motor gets stuck, back hatch pressurized thing doesn't hold when it's cold outside).

Go Toyota. You would be helping the American economy and have a long lasting dependable car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads