• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would this make me look like a slob?

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here is a more detailed response to my reply: I enjoy wearing denim, sport coats, shirts, sweaters, ties and squares. I enjoy wearing some of these at the same time, but I don't think they should ever all be worn together, and I've seen very few fits that incorporated all these items that I thought looked good. Take the denim away, or leave it and take the tie away and you are on better footing. IMO.

dohare

Reaction score

very few men can pull off the V-neck sweater with nothing under, this is one.

Last edited:

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^ I don't personally think a v-neck sweater w/o a shirt shouldn't be done, particularly in a very casual context, and even more particularly if you have the physique for it (the "v" of the neck accentuates the "v" of your frame). However, it's a no go if you are wearing a sport coat over it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Turtleneck-Yes
V neck-No

oxfordamerican

Reaction score
I see no one being snarky here. The OP asked “I was thinking about wearing the jacket a just a v neck sweater with nothing underneath. Would this be good for a slightly more casual look, or would it just look sloppy and lazy?” More than one person took the time to answer. More than one person took the time to suggest other places where the OP might go to get other opinions.
Is the OP unhappy because he didn’t get the positive affirmation he really wanted? This happens from time to time with new people: they don’t really want an answer to their question, they want to be told everything’s grand, even if it's not.

Don’t ask a question if you don’t really want an answer.

Cheers,

Ac

You were both insulting and unnecessarily vulgar in the same post, when none of the responses you've gotten were either and you are complaining about other posters?
You both misunderstand. I asked for opinions and was given responses, most of which were perfectly acceptable and helpful, a few somewhat vague. The only one I had a problem with was Ivar, which I thought would be perfectly clear due to the fact I quoted his post in my reply. Ac, if you can't see the snark in his comment, then I suppose you and I will have to agree to disagree about what it means to be snarky. Furthermore I didn't ask so I could be told what I wanted to hear. I've been alternately lurking and sporadically posting on SF for a while, and this is the last place I would ever go if I were simply looking for people to nod along and support everything I do. I want constructive criticism and don't mind a bit of sarcasm, but I've seen quite a few posts in my SF travels that are similar to Ivar's, posts that serve no purpose other than to say 'I have no actual answer to your question, but I just thought I'd let you know that you're a twat for asking it." You would think I asked if it's okay to pair a tuxedo with a pair of Reeboks. As far as being unnecessarily vulgar, well, I see people using profanity fairly casually in a lot of threads and I just didn't think it was a big deal. If I'm off base, my mistake. When I described what I was complaining about plurally, I was referring to what I have seen a good deal of in multiple threads, which was why I said "this forum," and not "this thread." In retrospect, I realize this sounds a bit semantical, but it seemed liked the clearest way to put it at the time. Perhaps I overreacted. I apologize for any misunderstanding

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ryan Gosling is a handsome, charismatic movie star who spends hours in the gym. What are your criteria for normal men who are attempting this look?

They should not try it under a sport coat. Period.
It's not a good look IMO. if you want to not wear a shirt..try a slim fitted turtleneck. ...but with slacks vs jeans.

oxfordamerican

Reaction score
Turtleneck-Yes
V neck-No
It's kind of funny, the turtleneck always gets poo pooed when I ask about it, but when I wear it with a sport jacket, I always get compliments. Also a few lame jokes about me looking like a professor, but mostly positive. I suppose this reflects the effect of seeing something in person as opposed to seeing it in a photograph or merely forming a mental picture.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's kind of funny, the turtleneck always gets poo pooed when I ask about it, but when I wear it with a sport jacket, I always get compliments. Also a few lame jokes about me looking like a professor, but mostly positive. I suppose this reflects the effect of seeing something in person as opposed to seeing it in a photograph or merely forming a mental picture.

The people who poo poo it are un-superior assholes?
:teach:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ryan Gosling is a handsome, charismatic movie star who spends hours in the gym. What are your criteria for normal men who are attempting this look?

Honestly, he looks like a handsome, charismatic homeless guy to me.

Cheers,

Ac

AmericanGent

Reaction score
It's kind of funny, the turtleneck always gets poo pooed when I ask about it, but when I wear it with a sport jacket, I always get compliments. Also a few lame jokes about me looking like a professor, but mostly positive. I suppose this reflects the effect of seeing something in person as opposed to seeing it in a photograph or merely forming a mental picture.
Turtlenecks are a classic choice to be sure, but not one that works on me. I think I'd look like a tit, plus I'd be sweating nonstop.

I suggested S&D not to cast you off, but because I thought some folks over there might be able to help you pull of the look. I suppose the outfit options you inquired about in your OP do not fall into the normal classic repertoire, but the combos are not revolting either. I dress in street wear 95% of the time. I just engage in this forum more because it is full of info that I need and also because I have info and opinions that positively contribute to the forum (I think).

Continue to solicit and contribute opinions on the forum and I think you will find that the majority of members will help you- but you might get your balls busted a little from time to time too.

oxfordamerican

Reaction score
The people who poo poo it are un-superior assholes?
teacha.gif
This is an acceptable level of sarcasm. Thank you for not violating my standards and practices. Good day sir.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

oxfordamerican

Reaction score
Turtlenecks are a classic choice to be sure, but not one that works on me. I think I'd look like a tit, plus I'd be sweating nonstop.

I suggested S&D not to cast you off, but because I thought some folks over there might be able to help you pull of the look. I suppose the outfit options you inquired about in your OP do not fall into the normal classic repertoire, but the combos are not revolting either. I dress in street wear 95% of the time. I just engage in this forum more because it is full of info that I need and also because I have info and opinions that positively contribute to the forum (I think).

Continue to solicit and contribute opinions on the forum and I think you will find that the majority of members will help you- but you might get your balls busted a little from time to time too.
I didn't think you were trying to cast me off, and I appreciate the advice, I just wasn't sure about where to post because:

sport jacket= menswear
jeans= streetwear
combination= uncertainty about where to post

Perhaps I should have just posted the same question in both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics