• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would people be willing to pay more for ethically produced clothing?

Would you pay more for clothes produced in the UK

• Yes

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

As being a foreigner in England , I'm the only one of my colleagues to actually buy clothes made in the UK or continental Europe...
All my Rule Britania mates are all wearing cheap Chinese or Vietnamese clothes and driving foreign cars but they see themselves as English patriots especially when they put plastic flags on their cars during football tournaments..

I thought you were English Lasbar?

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

This took me a whopping eight seconds to find on google.
http://uk.tradekey.com/clothes.htm

Interesting but maybe not hitting the nail. May need more research. Site is a trading shop with most members dealing in used clothes. Not quite made in UK by brand names. One of them reported to be from INDIA, UK. Thought funny.

I meant the bigger brands of clothing.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am new to the forum, I am in the process of having a few of my designs manufactured and I am having them done over here in the UK. Which lead me to think, how many people would be willing to pay the extra cost for clothes that are produced over here in the UK? As I believe getting the clothes manufactured here in the UK generally means better quality. And find that many brands that are produced abroad may be cheaper but you are loosing the quality.

I also prefer to know that my clothes are being made ethically by someone who chooses to take that career and not forced to work for pennies. I am not a complete snob about it but it is something i prefer.

So here is the million dollar question, would you be willing to pay more for clothing that is manufactured in the UK Or are you more interested in style?

Albam etc. have been doing for while now, although Albam is actually cheaper than other brands.

Could I get some feedback on this net resting point brought up by TomChapman? What clothing products, apart from fully bespoke on Savile Row, are made in UK. I'm sure that there are more then I think but have been thinking that most garments are made outside UK nowadays.
What brands so as to help those that may like to buy hen can. Agree with the chap who said buying 3rd world probably more ethical as then at least they are earning pennies rather than take the job away and earn less.
But still good to know British brands.
Thanks
http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/2012_02_01_archive.html

There's a lot of smaller leather and shoe companies in the Northampton area (trickers etc.), I'm sure Man Of Kent can come up with a whole list.

Last edited:

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

Albam etc. have been doing for while now, although Albam is actually cheaper than other brands.
There's a lot of smaller leather and shoe companies in the Northampton area (trickers etc.), I'm sure Man Of Kent can come up with a whole list.

Thanks. Lot of the Northamptonshire shoe companies. C&J, Churches, Alfred Sergent, Loakes, Edward Green, Bakers, John Lobb (ready to wear oly), etc...

And know also that most of the finest fabric merchants in the world have a lot of their best fabrics woven in England. Dormeuil, Holland & Sherry, Scabal, etc...

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks. Lot of the Northamptonshire shoe companies. C&J, Churches, Alfred Sergent, Loakes, Edward Green, Bakers, John Lobb (ready to wear oly), etc...

What are you trying to say with the the first sentence?

Also most of those companies do bespoke, just search around on here.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

What are you trying to say with the the first sentence?
Also most of those companies do bespoke, just search around on here.

Should clarify better. Thanks for pointing out. What I meant was those are some of the Northampton shoe companies. Some, not all, do bespoke but some like Lobb and C&J only do here bespoke in Paris. All do handmade of course.

Does that answer?

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads