Worth trying to sell non-SF-approved clothing on B&S or even eBay?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unjung, Oct 8, 2009.

1. unjung

unjung Senior member

I have some terrible clothing items that I bought long before discovering SF. A ventless sportcoat, some no-name ties... do I have any hope of selling these on B&S or even eBay? Or should these just go straight to the thrift store?

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I'd try ebay first

3. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Don't waste your time. Goodwill that stuff.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

If the ties are reasonably attractive and not from, say, Express, they might sell if you price 'em at $10-$12. People sell ugly thrift ties all the time.

Line 'em up, take a pic, post it and see what happens. I wouldn't sink much effort into this sort of sale, but if the energy expenditure is small enough, no great loss.

5. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Try donating to an agency that provides clothing to poor people so they can go on job interviews. Then write off a significant amount from your taxes. More than you'll get from goodwill.

6. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Do the appraise the value of the donated items? I have never been able to write off any amount for taxes unless I gave cash.

7. apropos

apropos Senior member

If the ties are reasonably attractive and not from, say, Express, they might sell if you price 'em at $10-$12. People sell ugly thrift ties all the time.

Line 'em up, take a pic, post it and see what happens. I wouldn't sink much effort into this sort of sale, but if the energy expenditure is small enough, no great loss.

+1

8. Bellum

Bellum Senior member

9. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

I usually donate the clothes I no longer want especially if they are of lower quality or threadbare. I'm sure there is a market somewhere for them it all depends on if it is worth your time and effort to sell them.

10. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

11. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Try donating to an agency that provides clothing to poor people so they can go on job interviews. Then write off a significant amount from your taxes. More than you'll get from goodwill.

+1. Look online for how to value donated items. As I recall, you need receipts when the total amount exceeds $500.

12. Bellum

Bellum Senior member

I've seen used socks sold on this forum.

I don't disbelieve you but I need to see that thread. Were they worn by someone famous? Or was it like some kind of Japanese worn panties fetish? I hope it wasn't just some old "handmade in Italy" OTC.

13. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

+1. Look online for how to value donated items. As I recall, you need receipts when the total amount exceeds $500.

Ask for a receipt. You should be donating to a non-profit with 501 status. I imagine, just like goodwill, you'll get a blank receipt where you can write in the "value" of the clothes you donated (although I think typically you are expected to claim, at most, 10% of the original price paid or something). If you provide suits, ties, etc., you can easily write down you donated a thousand or two worth of clothes. Add that to your taxes, and you save a few hundred bucks. Better than the pennies you'd get on ebay.