• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World's Most Expensive Dessert!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
And they were just shut down due to a second failed inspection. Apparently pest control is not on the menu.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metkirk
If I were rich enough to buy something like that, I'd be either wiping ****** with $100 bills or pay someone to do it.

Larry Craig may be looking for work soon.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
And they were just shut down due to a second failed inspection. Apparently pest control is not on the menu.
pwnedb24c0bqu4.jpg
"If you've been saving your nickels and dimes for the $25,000 sundae unveiled last week at Serendipity 3, the popular Upper East Side dessert shop, we've got some not-so-delectable news for you. The Health Department confirmed Thursday to CBS 2 that the shop had been shut down Wednesday night after failing its second straight inspection in just a month's time. Department officials tell CBS 2 that both inspections revealed "rodent and fly infestation and conditions conducive to pest infestation, including stagnant water in the basement." The plumbing was reportedly so out of line that the "sewage disposal system [was] in disrepair or not functioning properly." On Wednesday night, the store, which has been featured in numerous Hollywood films, apparently kept open its wild zoo of filth for inspectors. The Department says the inspector came upon a live mouse, more than 100 live cockroaches, fruit flies, house flies, and piles of mouse dropping scattered about the restaurant. Only four weeks ago, the eatery was inspected and was written up for a total of 41 health code violations. Just last week, owner Stephen Bruce introduced the world to his slightly overpriced chocolate sundae. For $25,000, a customer could purchase the "Frrozen Haute Chocolate," a blend of 28 cocoas, including 14 of the most expensive and exotic from around the world, served in a golden-lined goblet with a gold and diamond bracelet wrapped around its base. The sundae deluxe is infused with 5 grams of edible 23-karat gold, and topped with smothered in even more gold. Accompanying the treat is a side fo La Madeline au Truffle from Knipschildt Choclatier, which sells for $2,600 a pound. It even came with a golden spoon. Sadly though, this sundae is for the mice. Looks like you'll have to spend your 25-grand on something else. The restaurant says it's very concerned about complying with the Health Department and "will work diligently with them to correct all issues and be in 100 percent compliance." "The inspector observed a live mouse, mouse droppings in multiple areas of the restaurant, fruit flies, house flies, over 100 live cockroaches." http://wcbstv.com/local/serendipity.....2.568515.html http://gothamist.com/2007/11/15/doh_to_serendip.php Even made the IHT! ahahahahha good find, Thomas! http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...ty-Rodents.php

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive been there before. Twice to be exact. What a joke. It is an absolute tourist trap ****-factory. The only reason why they are anything now is because of that movie that featured them in it.

Now they get shut down for some horrendous health violations. Classy.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
David Cross talks about getting a cake with gold on it at Jean Georges in his stand up-- it is hilarious. He called it "the ultimate **** you to poor people".

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
David Cross talks about getting a cake with gold on it at Jean Georges in his stand up-- it is hilarious. He called it "the ultimate **** you to poor people".
lol I love his standup. That sequence is awesome. Nothing beats his story about waking up after a night of blackout boozing with some band. "ANSWA YA TELEPHONE."

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
The fact that dish cost almost about as much as (if not more than) the average yearly wages in the US made me cringe a little.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like the accessories make up most of the total price.

Other than that, even my wife and I mix in gold in our food and deserts all the time, but it doesn`t cost much at all.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Seems like the accessories make up most of the total price.

Other than that, even my wife and I mix in gold in our food and deserts all the time, but it doesn`t cost much at all.

Why? It's tasteless and odorless-- what does it add to your dining experience?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
Why? It's tasteless and odorless-- what does it add to your dining experience?

Visual accent. In Japanese cuisine gold is used quite often, but my wife uses it in western dishes too.

Some quick examples I found...the gold is sold in sheets or crumbles. The sheets cost a bit more, but for cooking use I think the crumbles are good enough:

and some quick examples of how it is used in cooking (pics from the net, but my wife would use it in a very similar way):

Probably a New Years egg custard dish. I like how natural materials are used as a dish or bowl in Japanese cuisine (in this case, a piece of bamboo).

Probably another New Years dish, but could be a regular one. The gold adds a little visual accent:

Can be used in a Chinese dish too:

and here`s an example of it used in a Western dish:

Of course there is really no added flavor, so most of it just visual. Some people eat gold everyday for health purposes though. Some believe gold is beneficial in cleansing the body and promotes longevity. Also, some believe the auspicous character of gold brings wealth and abundance.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's things like this that give one a sense of what it must have been like, existentially, to live in Rome towards the end of the third century.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads