• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workout routine to slim down lower body?

Leather

Reaction score
I'm trying to start a workout routine to lose body fat, mainly on the lower body and legs. I don't want to gain any muscle mass on the legs. What do you guys suggest I do at the gym and diet suggestions would be helpful as well, thanks!

CentralParkMan

Reaction score
Pilates does wonders and sculpts lean long legs. Contrary to popular belief it's not just for girls. Most gyms will offer Pilates classes but if you're a little embrassed you can always try out Pilates at home just make sure you have a Pilates or Yoga mat. Personally I use the Windosr Pilates 20 Minute Workout three times a week, it's free on Youtube too.

realkingo

Reaction score
In my opinion losing fat on specific body parts does not work.
Just like doing crunches all day is not going to reveal your six-pack, unless you have an overall low body fat ratio. I'v already tried different approaches, but slimmer legs usually come last.

From my own experience: Just keep on doing cardio and balanced workout of upper and lowerbody in order to achieve an overall body fat of 8-10% and the results will be visible soon.

pbdeng4

Reaction score
What do you enjoy doing? Do you like to run or do you like to lift (or any other multitude of things)

If you don't have much weight lifting experience and have a bit of fat to lose I highly recommend doing squats and deadlifts. They are great for giving shape and slimming down your lower body. Pants will fit better.

Leather

Reaction score
What do you enjoy doing? Do you like to run or do you like to lift (or any other multitude of things)

If you don't have much weight lifting experience and have a bit of fat to lose I highly recommend doing squats and deadlifts. They are great for giving shape and slimming down your lower body. Pants will fit better.

I usually play basketball for cardio, not into running at all. I like lifting too, but I am under the impression that squatting and deadlifts actually add bulk to your legs rather than slim them?

pbdeng4

Reaction score
I always recommend lifting in general to keep good shape to your legs. I should've mentioned in my previous post if you're trying to slim down your legs (while keeping the muscle there I'm assuming) lifting heavy with them and tailoring your diet to your routine is important. Your legs shouldn't add any considerable mass to them if you're not eating at an excess (especially if you said you have fat there to get rid of).

That being said, lift at a calorie deficit and watch the fat melt off your legs. Just make sure you're getting your necessary protein/carb/fat ratio and intake.

Last edited:

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any serious ball player should squat. End of story.

OlafG

Reaction score
Get squattin'

You probably don't have as much muscles in your legs as you think, it's probably a good bit of fat which takes up more volume than a pound of lean mass.
To loose fat in general you need to be in a caloric deficit. I'd recommend you to up your protein and fat intake as they are more satiating than carbs. Please note that I'm not saying anything about amounts as I don't know anything about your weight/height/age.

Ziga

Reaction score
Hey,

first thing first: it is hard to say anything without pictures.

That being said you should be aware that:
- there is only one way to loose fat only on one area - have a surgery (liposuction). If that is not an option read on.

- building muscles hard and they don't just pop out - dont be afraid to work out
- muscles weigh more than fat so you might even gain some weight if you are skiny-fat now (fat in legs and belly area, skinny otherwise)
- weight control is dons in the kitchen and in bed
- cardio (running, playing basketball, spinning, ropejumping and similar stuff) affects metabolism. Burning calories with cardio is absurd. Simply eat less. While you do cardio you burn about 80% muscle and 20% fat (not true for eveyone in the world but should be for you if you have to ask this kind of question). So just do moderate amount of cardio to speed up metabolism.
- crash diets (keto, pril, montegnac whatnotshit) are not a good idea. In the end of the day for an average person a calorie is a calorie. If you eat less you get less calories and you burn some fat. The effect backfires if you starve as the body starts saving what little you get in the system, metabolism slows down, hunger goes up and head starts hurting / don't do that. Eat just enough to loose about 500g per week or so. Do make sure you eat some protein per day (that means meat).

This are the basics. to sum it all up:
- control your caloric intake
- work out, muscle growth is a slow process that will not happen over night - you will not get bulky

best regards,
Ziga

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually play basketball for cardio, not into running at all. I like lifting too, but I am under the impression that squatting and deadlifts actually add bulk to your legs rather than slim them?

Well that depends. If you have more fat than muscle, if you do squats, the muscle is going to grow and take the place of the fat, so if you have, lets say, 21" thighs you will not slim down to 20" or less. Deadlifs helps to build the hams, but also the back. Take into account that you don't want to have legs of a guy that only trains his upper body.

Now if you want to cut fat, you have to start with your diet. It doesn't matter if you spend running hours if you don't have the propper food in your body. Also you have to ask yoruself, how do you want to look, like a marathon runner or like a sprinter. Google it, and decide for yourself.

You don't need excesive amounts of cardio, if you want to cut, but diet is everything.
biggrin.gif

acoustik

Reaction score
Spot reduction is impossible. Work out your upper body hard and let the muscles in your lower body atrophy away. Don't work them at all. Alternatively, engage in long periods of light cardio and cut down on protein. This will cause your legs to lose mass even more quickly.

pbdeng4

Reaction score
Spot reduction is impossible. Work out your upper body hard and let the muscles in your lower body atrophy away. Don't work them at all. Alternatively, engage in long periods of light cardio and cut down on protein. This will cause your legs to lose mass even more quickly.
do not do that, you will become a top heavy monstrosity. i sincerely think you ought to listen to what others have said in this thread and continue to lift heavy while maintaining a caloric deficit that will lean you out all over.

OlafG

Reaction score
Is this what you want to become? If not keep lifting squatting, deadlifting and bench pressing.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That doesn't says a lot, do you know your body fat? I'm 6'1" and 198lb and I'm trying to get my legs as big as a I can, right now I'm sitting at 23.5" but wouldn't mind if they get bigger.

Keep squatting that would work all your body and with the proper diet, you will look like a beast! Shredded!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads