• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working suit sleeve buttons

MisterGee

Reaction score
I just bought a BBBF suit and was hoping my tailor would be able to create surgeon's cuffs. No dice. She told me that there's a special machine necessary. Whether it's "necessary" or just makes a really tedious, difficult job easy, I'm not entirely sure, but she's very good and does everything for me from hems to much more complex and involved jobs. Nevertheless, I was disappointed, but I figure it can always be done in the future if I find someone with the necessary equipment.

rob

Reaction score
My alterations tailor in Milwaukee will do but he charges $15 per button hole. He does it by hand, no machine and he doesn't go out of his way to offer the service.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MisterGee
I just bought a BBBF suit and was hoping my tailor would be able to create surgeon's cuffs. No dice. She told me that there's a special machine necessary. Whether it's "necessary" or just makes a really tedious, difficult job easy, I'm not entirely sure, but she's very good and does everything for me from hems to much more complex and involved jobs. Nevertheless, I was disappointed, but I figure it can always be done in the future if I find someone with the necessary equipment.
She doesn't need a machine if she knows how to do it by hand.

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Well they certainly blink out here in west texas. I've called over five tailors, ranging from cheap to very expensive, who won't do it because they don't have the button-hole machine.
I think you have your answer there.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Button holes are a very specific skill. Most alterations tailors 1) need the machine or 2) need somebody talented enough to do them by hand, well, and quickly and 3) lacking that in many cases, they refuse to do them.

I'm fortunate my tailor does gorgeous, hand-sewns for a reasonable price, but before he came along, where I got my suits shipped them across town to the one shop that finished sleeves.

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by doctorj!
My tailor said he cannot do them. Any new jersey tailor recommendations?

AJ

I'm not sure where you are in the jerz, but if you're close to Philadelphia, Rich Chae at 15th and Walnut will do them.

According to him, it is a very labor intensive process, and the work there is done by hand. He is quite reasonable -- he charges $10/button.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I've had the same experience here in Edmonton. I still don't know of a tailor in Edmonton who has any of these machines.

Try Sam Abouhassan at Commerce Place. I popped in when I had a few minutes to spare before a meeting earlier this summer. http://www.samabouhassan.com/style.cfm

They make suits and shirts; fwiw, an article in a local Edmonton mag states they dressed Gretzky and his groomsmen . Don't know if they'll do alterations on your rtw though. If not, they can probably refer someone who'll just do surgeon cuffs for you.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MisterGee

+1

I was trying to do the same for my Black Fleece suit

As you mentioned, they can always be made into working sleeves when/if a tailor can do it

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
I've had similar experience calling a few tailors here in St. Louis. Two said they didn't have the machine to do it, and one said it'll be $20 a button... Hmm, I love the idea, but that works out to around $160 a suit, X10 suits....
plain.gif

III

Reaction score
I am also in West TX and have had the same experience as you. I pretty much only buy suits & jackets when I travel nowadays.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by III
I pretty much only buy suits & jackets when I travel nowadays.
All my shopping is now done out of town. Although there are ample stores locally, what I like to purchase is usually found elsewhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads