• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? You can get the Brown Rockford in size 10 - now? How much?

Call the store about availability and pricing. 573-254-3311. Long story short we can get any of the 1K collection but we can't have them on our site.

thams

Reaction score
You should see them now. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time water brushing them. The tow boxes are a deep wine color as are the heel counters. The rest of the boot are very dark black cherry with deep red highlights. Hopefully I'll have the right light to catch some of the color detail tomorrow. They look really good, now I'm not to sure I want to go play in the mud with them.
crackup[1].gif

How exactly do you use the water/brush combo? Do you wipe with a damp cloth and then brush while damp? Or do you wipe them down, let dry, and then brush?

I'm just curious since I've heard of some people using a water, wax, and a brush/buff technique. I haven't been able to find the steps for this process except for use on patent leather.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How exactly do you use the water/brush combo?  Do you wipe with a damp cloth and then brush while damp?  Or do you wipe them down, let dry, and then brush?

I'm just curious since I've heard of some people using a water, wax, and a brush/buff technique.  I haven't been able to find the steps for this process except for use on patent leather.  

Sprinkle a little water on the boot and then brush like a mad demon until dry. Repeat until your arms fall off or you get the shine you want.

theclipper

Reaction score

Sprinkle a little water on the boot and then brush like a mad demon until dry. Repeat until your arms fall off or you get the shine you want.

Would this be acceptable to do with the CXL version of these boots? I've got a pair I'd like to try it with. I've had them for about 8 months and have treated them with Obenaufs probably 4 or 5 times.

Thanks

twocoloreyes

Reaction score
whats up with your left toe box? did you drop something heavy on it? it looks like it was crushed. i ask because my 1000 miles look the same way on the left boot and you can definitely tell the box is crushed. also, have you had to resole yours?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would this be acceptable to do with the CXL version of these boots? I've got a pair I'd like to try it with. I've had them for about 8 months and have treated them with Obenaufs probably 4 or 5 times.
Thanks

I haven't tried it so I couldn't tell you. My CXL boots tend to get really abraded so about the only thing that helps them is my leather guy's buffing/burnishing wheel. I don't see why it wouldn't work if they're not too beat up. Try it and see,

whats up with your left toe box? did you drop something heavy on it? it looks like it was crushed. i ask because my 1000 miles look the same way on the left boot and you can definitely tell the box is crushed. also, have you had to resole yours?

Are you familiar with toe kicking steps in snow and mud banks? They've seen a fair amount of that along with toe flipping rocks. Around here you flip a rock with a stick or your boot when point hunting. Getting bit by a Copperhead or Rattler isn't my idea of a good time.

seer

Reaction score
Thanks
After I used the Obenauf's for water proofing (a few days later) I use neutral Kiwi wax - I get a decent shine - you will never get the high gloss of Shell on CXL - but the the CXL looks great - I prefer it over Shell now that I have owned both. BTW - heavy brushing really brings out the depth in CXL. My cap toe oxfords from Orivs are my only dress shoes.

theclipper

Reaction score

After I used the Obenauf's for water proofing (a few days later) I use neutral Kiwi wax - I get a decent shine - you will never get the high gloss of Shell on CXL - but the the CXL looks great - I prefer it over Shell now that I have owned both. BTW - heavy brushing really brings out the depth in CXL. My cap toe oxfords from Orivs are my only dress shoes.

So there's no risk to heavy brushing the CXL? I've always been a little paranoid I'm gonna scratch it up or work off finish or something. :embar:

seer

Reaction score
So there's no risk to heavy brushing the CXL? I've always been a little paranoid I'm gonna scratch it up or work off finish or something.
shog[1].gif
If they have been treated with Obenauf's I see little chance of that happening - I have had a number of CXL boots - Alden, Edmonds, 1000 Mile and never had that problem. It is not necessary to go crazy though. If you are looking for a decent shine try some wax polish.

Last edited:

seer

Reaction score
My Orvis cap toe CXL shoe after a little Saphir neutral creme. It is hard to see the deep hues and color variations in this picture, but the leather is looking more stunning every day...

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seer: Those are beauts! Just got around to having my pair topy'ed this week so now they'll get some use.

seer

Reaction score
Seer: Those are beauts! Just got around to having my pair topy'ed this week so now they'll get some use.
Yeah, I finally had my Addison's toped - the cobbler ruined them - cut into the leather while tring to cut the excess rubber off - they were so bad I gave them to Goodwill. I should have known better - he is the only cobbler for 100 miles around - but he is 90 years old!

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I finally had my Addison's toped - the cobbler ruined them - cut into the leather while tring to cut the excess rubber off - they were so bad I gave them to Goodwill. I should have known better - he is the only cobbler for 100 miles around - but he is 90 years old!

Damn! But gave them to Goodwill?! A respectable cobbler would have repaired the sole for you. They can usually redo leather soles...

Luckily I have 5 cobblers within 15 miles of me. I've tried them all and found my favorite who does the best work.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cut the sole or or the upper?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads