• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

nevereast

Reaction score
They should offer a lined version too, what´s the benefit or purpose of unlined boots?
Depending on the lining materials...they can smell? or they can fall apart and make the boots uncomfortable. Leather does a pretty good job of smelling good especially with care and shoe trees...Any lined boots I've ever had eventually stank.

sometimes simplicity is nice.

cthip

Reaction score

They should offer a lined version too, what´s the benefit or purpose of unlined boots?

What are the perceived benefits of lined boots, in your opinion? And, how much additional would you be willing to pay for said benefits?

Full-disclosure, I do own at least one pair of lined boots in addition to my (obviously unlined) 1Ks.

Brenner

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, I guess they hold shape better, But I don´t know, I never had unlined boots. But since almost every manufacturer , including high end manufactures, make most of their catalog with lined boots and shoes, I guess this is for a reason, probably for more than one reason.

Brenner

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
But hey, the world and the shoe industry are probably wrong for years, and going unlined is a much better option.

Last edited:

cthip

Reaction score

...I guess...But I don´t know...I never had unlined boots...I guess this is for a reason, probably for more than one reason.

Viberg Service Boot - unlined
Redwing Iron Ranger - unlined
White's Semi-Dress - unlined
Nick's Robert - unlined

This style of boot is typically not lined. While they might feel slightly less "polished" (and hey, they're not a pair of cap-toe balmorals so boots are supposed to feel a little rough), there's no functional difference, and certainly no deficit in terms of shape or durability. In fact, my unlined 1Ks are made of significantly thicker leather than my leather-lined Chromexcel Alden boots, and with fewer parts to fail but greater overall thickness one could make the argument that the unlined boot might even be more durable. Honestly, I don't think there's much a difference, and it boils down to aesthetics. This style of boots has not historically had a lining, and wearing them, you don't notice or miss a lining.

chocobo

Reaction score
That new Evans boot is going to sell very well. Looks like the basic 1000 Mile with a rubber sole already attached, which is something a lot of people do with their 1ks anyway.

The navy version though, I don't know about that...

ivan200000

Reaction score
Hi--

More of a lurker than a poster here.

Pretty much the only boots I've ever worn have been pee-wee cowboy boots with the Acme-type box toe. A pair of Timberland Boot Co "Eastern Standard" boots caught my eye while perusing eBay the other day, and upon further research, I was intrigued to learn they're made in Maine, and they can be had in my size for $190 new-in-box.

A review of the Timberland model here on SF referenced the Wolverine 1000 Mile, so I began checking into those. A seller on eBay just accepted my offer of $190/shipped for a new-in-box pair in the rust color; though the price seems great, I'm nervous buying boots sight-unseen. I read the first 2 pages of this review (odd that the original poster deleted his first entry, and the thread then spawned 400+ pages) and now here I am posting.

At any rate, I hope I made the right choice on the Wolverine 1000 Mile.

Last edited:

bbob2013

Reaction score
PSA: Nordstrom has the 1000k "McClean" cap toe on sale as part of the anniversary sale.

I just ordered a pair, and they told me this is a Nordstrom specific model, is that true?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes that is true. Only difference is the cap toe. I picked up a pair at nordys yesterday. Great price.

grizzlygiant

Reaction score
Hi--

More of a lurker than a poster here.

Pretty much the only boots I've ever worn have been pee-wee cowboy boots with the Acme-type box toe. A pair of Timberland Boot Co "Eastern Standard" boots caught my eye while perusing eBay the other day, and upon further research, I was intrigued to learn they're made in Maine, and they can be had in my size for $190 new-in-box.

A review of the Timberland model here on SF referenced the Wolverine 1000 Mile, so I began checking into those. A seller on eBay just accepted my offer of $190/shipped for a new-in-box pair in the rust color; though the price seems great, I'm nervous buying boots sight-unseen. I read the first 2 pages of this review (odd that the original poster deleted his first entry, and the thread then spawned 400+ pages) and now here I am posting.

At any rate, I hope I made the right choice on the Wolverine 1000 Mile.
Much better than Timberland. You will be happy. Just make sure you got your sizing correct.

ivan200000

Reaction score

Much better than Timberland. You will be happy. Just make sure you got your sizing correct.

Thanks for your reassurance, GG. These Wolverines in the color they're calling rust look slightly cooler to me than the Eastern Standards, and as I will never have occasion to be wearing them in ice/snow, the leather sole on the 1000 Mile boots won't be an issue.

The seller has a 100% feedback rating and the auction explicitly states new-in-box/grade A/defect free, but for $190 shipped, I can't help but think of the old adage: "If it sounds too good to be true..."

Most on here say to go down 1/2 size for these Wolverines. I'm sort of in between 12 and 13; I wear a 12 in most shoes (my Allen Edmonds Boston monks are 13) and a size 13 in the Chinese sneakers like Nike, Converse, Keds, etc. I did just find an eBay deal on a pair of Timberland Boot Co Wodehouse oxfords that are stated as running large, and the 12 fits me perfectly. I live in a year-round mild climate so I'm not inclined to wear thick socks--worst case scenario, I figure I can re-eBay and recoup my investment in the event that the Wolverines arrive and they're too big. I'm thinking I'll be ok, though.

FistofFurySC

Reaction score
Yes that is true. Only difference is the cap toe. I picked up a pair at nordys yesterday. Great price.

If you don't mind, would you be able to post some pics? Curious to know if the brown differs from last year's model, or from the regular 1K boots.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you don't mind, would you be able to post some pics? Curious to know if the brown differs from last year's model, or from the regular 1K boots.

They're exactly the same as last year. Although, the CXL on my pair this year is much stiffer and has more high/lows but I guess that's just a batch by batch thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads