• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

anrobit

Reaction score
The personal attacks and name calling should stop.
I agree. I'm rather tired of being called an industrial saboteur and moron without any sort of explanation.

I wouldn't even mind it if I was told whom I supposedly represent.

Last edited:

themonster

Reaction score
Sno-Seal and other waxed-based protectants have no business being used on CXL or shell. The ill-effects of Sno-Seal aside, it's not a good idea to use a hair-dryer (especially on high, as he recommended) on boots.

I sno-seal'd my beater boots. Terrible idea if you plan on really swampy feet in the summer.
shog[1].gif

themonster

Reaction score
I did some really awful things with Obenauf's LP before I knew any better. Some saddle soap would do the trick, but be sure to condition it afterward.
Nah, I don't mind it when it's in the negative temperature now. Plus I don't mind the "Crane patina" when dirt sticks to it.
facepalm.gif

Reaction score
Hello doods. Just adding to the picture collection here. Browns with light two-tone laces. Works well, imo.

Also, do you think that wrinkling on the right boot is normal? Should it be cause for concern?

Just kidding, it's perfect.
thumbs-up.gif

Last edited:

cathpah

Reaction score
I have a lot more questions but they'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Serious question: are you the owner of Crane's? I know you use their name on here and potentially represent them, but are you an owner? I've heard conflicting reports, so I'm just curious.

striker

Reaction score
That's not very smart at all. You use a product specifically designed for a purpose. Would you change the oil in your car and use coconut oil instead of motor oil because you don't have any?

Maybe as alleged, I am illiterate or can't ******* read but I don't know if any explanations to someone whose mind is closed to other opinions or suggestions would actually serve any real purpose other than a verbal target to latch onto for further debate or argument.

One thing I realized with boot care and many other aspects of life is that there are so many ways to skin a cat.

loug

Reaction score
What amazes me is all the people who have all this time to play with their boots. Maybe its just my lack of respect for my boots.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Coconut oil is used as the base conditioner in possibly the best products on the market: GlenKaren.

I have no knowledge about coconut oil other than it seems one of those products that people look at as a panacea to all of life's maladies. And I'm sure GlenKaren makes a fine product, but one of the best shoe care products on the market? Based on what?

Is it because you can also spread it on toast?

lefty

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The viscosity and melting point of snoseal/LP really isn't an issue because it's primary use is a water repellent and not a conditioner. I would think that simple logic would dictate that you would want the wax to have a higher melting point while you would want your leather lubricant to remain a liquid instead of hardening up or basically freezing.

I asked whether or not coconut oil was used in any other leather conditioner or treatment as a key component other than the one mentioned. It was said that it's a well known and used conditioner so it should be used in something else that's commonly known right? It seems that the answer is no. Personally I would find it odd if it wasn't widely used in the shoe care industry.

It's my understanding that at least in the short term it appears that coconut oil really does a fine job of getting leather to be very soft and supple. As a matter of fact I've read claims that it beats all kinds of well known and well regarded products. What are the long terms effects of using just coconut oil as a conditioner? Has it been tested under a wide range of use conditions? By that I mean from those who might wear a shoe once a week or so to the person who wears the same shoe for weeks on end. Personally I'm one of those that thinks in times used versus time owned and not used as a true indicator of performance and longevity.

I'm aware that coconut oil is very resistant to rotting. My next question revolves around when it does actually breakdown. When it does what happens to the pH value? Does it remain constant or does it swing to being much more acidic?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As you're probably aware, beeswax is a primary component of both obenaufs LP and sno-seal, both of which seem to be used rather liberally by people in this thread, it has a melting temperature of 144-177 F or 62-64 C. Of course, this doesn't affect it's usefullness at low temperatures because below it's melting point it's obviously not becoming rigid solid, just reverting to being a soft wax. As a matter of fact, I've worn my shoes down to -20F, -29C (inadvisable for other reasons) but it's pretty stupid to posit that there would be a performance issue at low temps. Especially considering that the melting temperature for obenaufs and sno-seal as compounds is higher. 

What are those reasons?

anrobit

Reaction score
The viscosity and melting point of snoseal/LP really isn't an issue because it's primary use is a water repellent and not a conditioner. I would think that simple logic would dictate that you would want the wax to have a higher melting point while you would want your leather lubricant to remain a liquid instead of hardening up or basically freezing.

I asked whether or not coconut oil was used in any other leather conditioner or treatment as a key component other than the one mentioned. It was said that it's a well known and used conditioner so it should be used in something else that's commonly known right? It seems that the answer is no. Personally I would find it odd if it wasn't widely used in the shoe care industry.

It's my understanding that at least in the short term it appears that coconut oil really does a fine job of getting leather to be very soft and supple. As a matter of fact I've read claims that it beats all kinds of well known and well regarded products. What are the long terms effects of using just coconut oil as a conditioner? Has it been tested under a wide range of use conditions? By that I mean from those who might wear a shoe once a week or so to the person who wears the same shoe for weeks on end. Personally I'm one of those that thinks in times used versus time owned and not used as a true indicator of performance and longevity.

I'm aware that coconut oil is very resistant to rotting. My next question revolves around when it does actually breakdown. When it does what happens to the pH value? Does it remain constant or does it swing to being much more acidic?
Actually, the viscosity of LP is an issue according to your argument, as it's about 60% conditioning oils. What happens to those oils? I won't address snoseal, as it's a terrible product anyway. I don't recommend that anyone use it.

Any oil that absorbs into leather doesn't stay in it's original state. It doesn't come back out simply because the temperature goes down.

Considering coconut oil is more resistant to rotting than almost any product on the market, is that really a concern? You're questioning this very intensely, which is good. Did you ever consider questioning your application of a hair dryer on high heat to leather? Perhaps that, too, is bad advice.

I'm not sure what your argument is on supposed "performance and longevity." I don't especially care how coconut oil responds if you wear your boots on back to back days for months at a time. That's a great way to ruin a pair of shoes, regardless of what you do, and I recommend that everyone alternate shoes/boots.

Lefty, I think you should read around more. Some of the most knowledgeable minds on this issue have said that GlenKaren products are the best. Simply because you have not heard of it does not mean that it is not a great product.

edit: oh, and while I have your attention. Did you give up on the chromexcel wrinkling disagreement? Also, are you planning on ever telling me whom I'm representing? Or are you dropping those because you knew you came off as ridiculous on those points?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads