• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

milw50717

Reaction score

What would be the recommended method to re-secure a part of a half sole that is coming slightly unglued?

It's not major (yet) but I would like to secure the portion that is beginning to come unglued.

The part of the half sole I am referring to are the square ends on each side toward the heel portion. The corners are just starting to peel off the sole. There are also slight gaps on places around the area where the half sole is attached to the leather sole.

Like I wrote, it's not a major issue, but I would like to prevent it from becoming one.

Try some barge or gorilla glue. Be sure to apply pressure - clamp - as the glue dries. Gorilla expands a little as it dries, so you may have some cleanup to do if you use that.

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cranes...when is the next DOTD or Flash sale?
I need those Black 1ks.

I'm getting ready to do a flash sale. I'm looking over stock numbers of Addisons so there will most likely be some of them this time around.

marmot8

Reaction score
Oddly, you can't edit old posts after a period of time. No idea why... so here it is again with some edits and the start of a section on polishes. Remember, I'm not claiming to be an expert here, just read this thread a ton and tried my hand at summarizing the information shared by others. Corrections always welcomed.

Jan 4, 2014 edition:
Cleaning, conditioning and polishes

- Cleaning: Lexol cleaner (spray, 1L jug) or kiwi saddle soap. Lots of debate on saddle soap, and less debate seems to be around lexol. Lexol is reported to be easier to use since it's a spray -- take a wet cloth, spray it on, and wipe it on to a lather, then wipe off with another damp cloth.

- Conditioning: Boot oil is highly recommended and keeps the leather hydrated and supple, and will ensure your boots will last a long, long time. Varying opinions but general consensus from all the threads is Obenauf's and Filson's boot oil are winners. Both will darken the leather. Lots of debate about Neatsfoot oil and whether it will eventually rot the boot stitching. Seems to be no consensus on the matter, but lots of people still swear by it. If you go with Neatsfoot oil, make sure it's "pure" and not a compound. Whatever boot oil you use, you can get away with 1 coat but many people do 2-3 coats. As mentioned, this will darken the leather so if you want to avoid that, then skip any of these products and the waterproofing ones. (Note, it will initially look darker at first, and after a few days, it will lighten up a bit but still be darker than before the oil application).

These are 2 alternatives to boot oil that seem to get mentioned:

Meltonian shoe cream -- comes in various colors so get the closest one to match you're actual boot color. Added advantage is that the coloring will help clean/fill in scuffs.

Venetian Shoe Cream (aka "VSC") -- I've read so many glowing recommendations of this and people universally seem to say that it won't darken your boots.

Others: Lexol Conditioner, Leather honey and Montana Pitch Blend get periodically mentioned but much less so than everything else. Doesn't mean these aren't good choices, it's just that they doesn't get as much love on the forums as the other options listed.

- Waterproofing: Further protection with intense waterproofing can be had through use of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP (aka Obenauf's LP) or Sno-seal. Depending who you ask, you'll get different recommendations, but they all converge around these 2. There is debate on whether you need this at all if you aren't exposing your boots to the outdoors a lot (or water/snow). These will also darken the boots.

Montana Pitch Blend, mentioned earlier as a "conditioner" provides water repellency (vs. waterproofing) which may be enough if you're just in the city and not thrashing your boots outdoors a lot.

- Brush: Get yourself one or more horsehair brushes. If you're just using it to clean and buff non-colored washes, one brush should be OK. If you're using colors waxes/polishes, get one for each color to avoid any transfer.

- Polishes: Depending on how much of a shine you're going for, you may or may not want to use a polish like Saphir. However, keep in mind that if you use a waterproofer like Sno-seal or Obenauf's LP, your boots won't be able to shine up well. If you want to waterproof and still try to polish your boots up, water about a week or two after the waterproof has set in and then try your hand at polishing.

Just got a pair of the boots and appreciate your taking the time to compile this list. I live in Boston and though I won't wear them in snow or when its raining, having wet weather and salts on the roads is par for the course in winter. I'm planning to go with Obenauf's Boot Oil and then Obenauf's LP. Does that seem to be the correct choice for my conditions? Crane's- any thoughts? Thanks!

nevereast

Reaction score

Just got a pair of the boots and appreciate your taking the time to compile this list. I live in Boston and though I won't wear them in snow or when its raining, having wet weather and salts on the roads is par for the course in winter. I'm planning to go with Obenauf's Boot Oil and then Obenauf's LP. Does that seem to be the correct choice for my conditions? Crane's- any thoughts? Thanks!
What color? I would do one or the other

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got a pair of the boots and appreciate your taking the time to compile this list. I live in Boston and though I won't wear them in snow or when its raining, having wet weather and salts on the roads is par for the course in winter. I'm planning to go with Obenauf's Boot Oil and then Obenauf's LP. Does that seem to be the correct choice for my conditions? Crane's- any thoughts? Thanks!

Oil to condition. LP to protect the leather from the crud, salt and water.

marmot8

Reaction score
So before I first wear them, what is the recommended course of action...1 oils, let dry, 1 LP? Thank you.

marmot8

Reaction score
Brown...I'm guessing you ask because if they were black it wouldn't matter how the treatment darkens the leather?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flash Deal

I added a size run of Addisons in two colors to the list. The code is good for a limited number of uses.

http://cranesboots.com/store/products/

The code is the word: BLIZZARD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads