• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

milw50717

Reaction score

Pictures:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/393324/chromexel-vs-featherstone

The materials and construction would seem to indicate that they are meant to LOOK like that's what you use them for, IMO.

There's no reason to use a leather-soled boot to do yard work when there are more robust and modern boots available that are actually meant for doing outdoor work, like most of the redwings that are not in the "heritage" collection, and a few that are.

Either way, they have failed to fill my expectations, and so I'm saving up for a pair of White's bounty hunters. And if finances don't allow that, I'll replace them with some redwing beckman's or Iron rangers. Those things seem bulletproof compared to the two wolverines I've owned.

Though, aside from the flacid bull penis and the scuffiness of the leather, half-assed construction, etc, the boot is very nice. The pattern and form of the boot is very pleasing to the eye, no debate there.

I'd still be tempted to return for a refund, to let the manufacturer know that their product is not meeting consumer expectations.

I have a pair of RW Beckmans and for sure they are easier to keep looking presentable than my 1Ks. However, be aware that the Featherstone leather on the Beckmans does graze easily so you'll be spending some time polishing them too. Some people complain that these end up looking dark on certain colours of leather.

I treat all my boots as work boots, leather sole or not. People used to fight wars in leather soled boots, so I suspect they can handle yard work.

Last edited:

Neognosis

Reaction score
People USED TO because they had no option.

And I can guarantee you that my grandfather's workboots, or standard USMC boondockers issued in WWII were far more substantial than the current 1K miles.

What does it mean when you say you "treat all your boots as workboots?"

I seriously doubt that my W1Ks would survive a weekend of digging ditches. I think they would fall apart. I don't think that they flimsy stitching and single leather sole would survive stomping on the top of a shovel blade, but maybe I'm wrong.

You don't see many construction workers in W1Ks though, nor firefighters or oil rig roughnecks or really anyone who really has to work for real in boots. You see those guys in bonafide redwing work boots, whites, Nick's, etc.

I think that the W1K is a fashion boot built to the classic workboot aesthetic. And there is nothing at all wrong with that. As I said, they are very good looking boots. I just think they are a distant, distant third in quality and construction when compared to white's and red wings.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to them without diligent care.

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score

People USED TO because they had no option.

And I can guarantee you that my grandfather's workboots, or standard USMC boondockers issued in WWII were far more substantial than the current 1K miles.

What does it mean when you say you "treat all your boots as workboots?"

I seriously doubt that my W1Ks would survive a weekend of digging ditches. I think they would fall apart. I don't think that they flimsy stitching and single leather sole would survive stomping on the top of a shovel blade, but maybe I'm wrong.

You don't see many construction workers in W1Ks though, nor firefighters or oil rig roughnecks or really anyone who really has to work for real in boots. You see those guys in bonafide redwing work boots, whites, Nick's, etc.

I think that the W1K is a fashion boot built to the classic workboot aesthetic. And there is nothing at all wrong with that. As I said, they are very good looking boots. I just think they are a distant, distant third in quality and construction when compared to white's and red wings.

Maybe I should have said "I treat all my boots like foremans boots", which is pretty much what the Beckman is meant to be.

I'd still be returning the 1Ks to Wolverine rather than letting them just sit there. The more people that do that with sub-standard boots, they more they are likely to feature on a bean counters report.

Neognosis

Reaction score
I see your point.

I had them topied... I wonder if that would be a problem if I tried to send them back.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked my Red Wings but could never get over how awful the Ronald McDonald bulbous toe looked; I still want a pair of moc-toes at some point. I really liked the SB leathers I experienced: Featherstone and CR&T. They seemed much sturdier than CXL. I was able to get good shine on Redwings, but I got good shine out of CXL, too, just a matter of elbow grease. The Featherstone Beckman's would stay presentable longer, but all it takes is a good 30 sec of brushing per boot to get CXL humming again, it's really that easy; I keep a brush and cloth at my desk. When it came to jobsites, I reached for the Wolverines, simply because they are among the most comfortable footwear I own and I'm usually on site in a supervisory role, not labor. For ~$250, I think Wolverines are a great buy for most people who are using them in casual settings for fashion - where else can you get a CXL boot that cheap? As long as you purchase from Nordstrom, Cranes, or some other reputable dealer, you can at least somewhat mitigate or have a fallback if quality issues spring up, though it's lousy that so many people have had to go through that experience. If you're shelling out +$350 retail on W1K's, I agree that it's well worth it to spring a little more on White's.

ZenSilk

Reaction score
The Chromexcel on the 1k boots is nothing like what is used by Rancourt, OSB, White's, Viberg... etc. The 1k CXL is thin and not as supple. This does, however, make the boots very easy to break in, and they mold very nicely to your lifestyle. The SB Foot pull-up leather is much more thick and supple as well, used on a couple of red wing styles (see Brooks Brothers).

I don't think 1k's should ever be purchased at full price to be honest, and as a savvy buyer you should never have to.

My 1k's have been through some ****, resoled, scuffed to death and the insole is seriously messed up. They have been through salty winters and soaking rainstorms. They have been waterlogged.

You just have to clean 'em, oil 'em, put a different insole in and be on your way.

milw50717

Reaction score
Talking of comfortable boots. 7 year old Blundstones in need of a retread as the soles are now thin and split.

milw50717

Reaction score

I don't think 1k's should ever be purchased at full price to be honest, and as a savvy buyer you should never have to. 

I think that is partly the dilemma of these boots. The MSRP and Wolverine's marketing placement is above that of a work boot, but below that of a true dress boot. People's expectations are accordingly across the board

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking of comfortable boots. 7 year old Blundstones in need of a retread as the soles are now thin and split.

My buddy loves his Blunnie's. I was looking at getting some Comfort Craftsman RM's for my recent vacation to walk around, but just couldn't do it... As my buddy put it, Chelsea boots are too "Dane Cook".

hyong91

Reaction score
The Chromexcel on the 1k boots is nothing like what is used by Rancourt, OSB, White's, Viberg... etc. The 1k CXL is thin and not as supple. This does, however, make the boots very easy to break in, and they mold very nicely to your lifestyle. The SB Foot pull-up leather is much more thick and supple as well, used on a couple of red wing styles (see Brooks Brothers).

My 1k's have been through some ****, resoled, scuffed to death and the insole is seriously messed up. They have been through salty winters and soaking rainstorms. They have been waterlogged.

You just have to clean 'em, oil 'em, put a different insole in and be on your way.

Well for me, the inner linning in the fore front of the boot have begun to fall apart, but comfort wise it seems the same,i alternate them with other 2 pair of boots and the only daily activities i had was a 1km walk to the train station and 1km back again when i return from school.At first i freaked out a little, now its like meh...ok theres a hole in the linning,boot seems to be fine,just wear it !!

Oldguy

Reaction score
They already have the flaccid bull penis leather look! They had it a little right out of the box, but it has spread across one entire panel!

That's one reason I hate them so much!
Maybe you better look at the Stow!

I'm trying to get my Stow to loosen up a bit, as my 1K's are already loose enough leather to not want it any softer, too.

milw50717

Reaction score

Maybe you better look at the Stow! 

I'm trying to get my Stow to loosen up a bit, as my 1K's are already loose enough leather to not want it any softer, too. 

Tricker's Stow ?

Bombproof. Just wear the hell out of them. It'll still take a time, but it will be worth it at the end of the day :slayer:

BeingHuman

Reaction score
Dear members,
Here is an update of my boots. I live in Vancouver Canada and got this topy done today at Moneysworth best quality shoe repair store in the basement of pacified mall. Dropped the shoes at 10am got it back at 2 pm.. They did an awesome job for just 35$.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics