• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WK OF FEB 16, 2015: NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice, all. Like Murl, I am a California native and, other than a brief stint in Alaska in my younger years, have always lived relatively warm climates. Winters in Louisville have been cold the last two years, but Chicago is in my future and will surely be on another level. Here's to hating life!

Chicago's a beautiful city. Not sure what your opinion of Louisville is, but I think you'll really enjoy the bar and restaurant scene in Chicago.

Overcoats should fall to just below the knee - and that's a matter of being functional and doing what they were intended to do. Shorter overcoats are a fashion thing, and one that I don't like much.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Louisville is my spiritual home (as spiritual as an atheist can get). I love my adopted hometown like a true convert would. Chicago is not without its charms, though. As you mentioned, the restaurants are a big draw for my wife and I. We would consider ourselves "foodies" if we didn't hate the term "foodie" so much. As it is, we call ourselves "hungry". I also cannot wait to explore the shopping opportunities. I just wish they had more shooting ranges, then my life would be complete.
smile.gif

Thanks for the advice on length. I shall follow it, although I am somewhat tall and may need to take that in to account.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'1 and was able to find an overcoat that naturally fell to that length, but I know what you mean.

I hate the term foodie as well but I do love some excellent food and appreciate the skill that goes into producing it.

Lastly, Chicago does have a pretty big outdoor shooting range. It's called Englewood. More of a live range though so be careful, haha.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, at the risk of stating the obvious, all other factors being equal a double breasted coat will be warmer than a single breasted coat (in fact, added warmth was historically the main motivation for having the sides of a coat overlap that much).

Cheers,

Ac

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Woah...

Where does one find such a conglomeration of animal fuzz?

In one's father's wardrobe, upon his demise.

Perfect for a Viennese winter...a bit out of place in Australia.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In one's father's wardrobe, upon his demise.

Perfect for a Viennese winter...a bit out of place in Australia.

Mate, your father knew his stuff. It is a remarkable piece of work. I recall you sharing other pieces you've kept and quite rightly so. Clearly an impressive man, like father like son.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mate, your father knew his stuff. It is a remarkable piece of work. I recall you sharing other pieces you've kept and quite rightly so. Clearly an impressive man, like father like son.

He was very well-dressed. I have some old pix of him as a young man which I will scan and post at some stage.

Meantime, here's a portrait of him at about the same age I am now. Painted by June Mendoza, who has also painted the Queen, Princess Diana, various American Presidents, famous artists and musicians and so on. My father's portrait was done very early in her career, before she moved to the UK and became famous. I now wear the ring you can see on his right hand. (Alas, the old bugger sold his Rolex President.)

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

He was very well-dressed. I have some old pix of him as a young man which I will scan and post at some stage. Meantime, here's a portrait of him at about the same age I am now. Painted by June Mendoza, who has also painted the Queen, Princess Diana, various American Presidents, famous artists and musicians and so on. My father's portrait was done very early in her career, before she moved to the UK and became famous. I now wear the ring you can see on his right hand. (Alas, the old bugger sold his Rolex President.)
Cox, fecking fabulous :slayer: What a great portrait and fascinating provenance too Don't know if I can say the right thing but thanks for sharing!

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He was very well-dressed. I have some old pix of him as a young man which I will scan and post at some stage.

Meantime, here's a portrait of him at about the same age I am now. Painted by June Mendoza, who has also painted the Queen, Princess Diana, various American Presidents, famous artists and musicians and so on. My father's portrait was done very early in her career, before she moved to the UK and became famous. I now wear the ring you can see on his right hand. (Alas, the old bugger sold his Rolex President.)

Wow, great portrait and a very impressive looking gentleman!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads