• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wilkes Bashford

StylenotFashion

Reaction score
The store on Maiden Lane was "Ralph Davies". The Davies is old San Francisco BIG money! The mistake Ralph made was he opened a large store in a prime (high rent) area, that was VERY high end, VERY high fashion ala "Maxfield" (LA), without a customer following.

DandySF

Reaction score
Surprising to see this thread resurrected. Something of a coincidence: today I walked by Le Central and saw Wilkes, Harry deWildt, and former mayor Willie Brown at their usual table in the window. Wilkes was the only one who removed his jacket and had hidden his tie through the buttons on his shirt placket.

contaygious

Reaction score
I have been to both the store in sf and the one in marin and I can't say I like that place. The sf one has a horrible plan with a bunch of tiny floors and all the clothing crammed in. The one in marin only has more casual stuff and it only had a single pair of jeans when I was there (prps in one color) lol. They have some good zegna stuff sometimes, but I would rather just go to the zegna store honestly.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a Zegna store in San Francisco? How have I missed it?!

contaygious

Reaction score
Oh sorry I meant in Vancouver. I go back and forth...I'm suprised there isn't one in SF actually. But then again you have all the department stores with zegna like Neiman's, saks, nordstroms, bloomingdales, etc. so why would you need one.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know if there ever was one? A few months ago I ran across a listing on citysearch or something similar that listed an address for a Zegna store on the outskirts of Union Square, over by the Borrelli store kinda; but I've never seen one there.

In any case, like you say, you can get Zegna at any one of many stores in SF so a specialty store would be overkill.

Honestly, I'm surprised Hickey-Freeman has a store in San Francisco, since you can probably get their stuff at a better price at Nordstrom just a block away since Nordstrom always seems to be having a sale. I can only imagine the HF store is a corporate "loss leader" type of store, like an advertising expense. I feel kinda sorry for the guys that work there as they seem to be genuinely decent guys with lots of retail experience (used to work at the old Bullock & Jones, etc.) but they just don't have the name recognition or location for lots of foot traffic. I drop in time to time to chat with them and it's almost always empty in there. Too bad really.

contaygious

Reaction score
Not sure if there was a Zegna store before. I have never been to the HF store, but I just realized there is a Pink store recently which is funny because I had bought some in NY thinking we didn't have one.

wcp45

Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
I have been to both the store in sf and the one in marin and I can't say I like that place. The sf one has a horrible plan with a bunch of tiny floors and all the clothing crammed in. The one in marin only has more casual stuff and it only had a single pair of jeans when I was there (prps in one color) lol. They have some good zegna stuff sometimes, but I would rather just go to the zegna store honestly.
Several of the floors at Wilkes have been redesigned recently, so you might want to check it out again (though the floors are still small). In terms of quality and variety, it is hard to beat Wilkes. I could spend hours on one of those "small" floors. The salesmen are also very helpful and willing to give you a tour. By the way, Wilkes carries Zegna. The first Zegna I ever purchased, in 1989, was from Wilkes.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed the article and I enjoy Wilkes. You have got to hand it to the guy for being able to survive all the changes in fashion, retail and the San Francisco scene.

I first visited Wilkes in 1971 when I was a senior in High School. I was amazed by the array of fine apparel, leather jackets, ties and shoes. Until that time, my satorial experience had been the traditional preppy stores stocking tweeds, blue blazers and BD shirts in NYC and SF.

I won't forget a display that had a vest made from patchwork denim. It had a beautiful brightly colored multi-striped silk back and silver buffalo head nickel buttons. You just didn't see things like this anywhere else. Then they had displays of these fine, light weight , tailored leather jackets that were so stylish compared to anything else I had ever seen.

Later, around 1976, they had a room for Ralph Lauren that was filled with pastel colored corduroy jackets in salmon, pink, dinner mint green and baby blue. It was the first time I had ever seen black nylon luggage (lined in bright yellow). They offered a Burberry trench coat with a removeable patchwork mink lining! I especially enjoyed being offered cocktails.

Now, there are things about Wilkes that I would like to change. But I still enjoy it and find fun surprises during my regular visits.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the city and discovered the store yesterday. 5 floors with a bar on each, excellent. They're having a big big sale now, most items marked 50% off sticker + an additional 25% down. I also learned Wilkes sold to Mitchell's, http://www.mitchellsonline.com/, last year. The SF store will be undergoing major renovations this year.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in SF yesterday and dropped by Wilkes Bashford and ran into Horace Mack formerly of Borelli and now at Wilkes. He took me upstairs to see them setting up for the Kiton Trunk show. Every item I touched reeked of pure luxury. The cashmere was a soft as angels wings. The exotic skin shoes all had the deepest texture I've ever seen. Being Italian there was no shortage of colors. With hundreds of beautiful garments, dozen of shoes, outwear, suits shirts...it was very impressive. Leave it to Kiton to have everything hanging on carbon fiber hangers.

The show goes on at the San Francisco store on Sutter Street Wednesday the 9th thru Saturday the 12th. If you need assistance contact Horace Mack at [email protected]

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads