Wilkes Bashford

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DandySF, Aug 6, 2006.

1. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

3. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I just got a pair of olive-ish wingtips from WB. Beautiful construction. Can't wait to visit that store in person.

4. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

What day in August is the Sale?? Let's have a GTG in SF that day.

Lemme know and I will book a ticket on the 6 AM flight getting into SF at 8 AM and we can eat breakfast at Sears and walk over when WB opens.

I want to get some more Lobbs anyhow.

Perry

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Wilkes Bashford isn't as avant-garde nowadays; however, slightly next door is a new store selling very black clothing from lesser known designers such as Les Hommes, et al. It was opened by a former Saks Men's store "Advanced Sportswear" employee.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Wilkes Bashford isn't as avant-garde nowadays; however, slightly next door is a new store selling very black clothing from lesser know designers such as Les Hommes, et al. It was opened by a former Saks Men's store "Advanced Sportswear" employee.

It's called The Vault, I think, or something similar (I mentioned the store earlier, and someone remembered the name for me). Not bad, and it has the distinction of being the only store of its kind in SF. And yes, it is a very black store. Lots of Costume National, I remember.

8. drake

drake Senior member

The Archive I think it's called? I think it's something with an A. I think they also stock Yohji Yamamoto, overall I wasn't impressed the last time I went there.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The Archive I think it's called? I think it's something with an A. I think they also stock Yohji Yamamoto, overall I wasn't impressed the last time I went there.
    Yes, it's called The Archive. They stock the type of designers that San Francisco, despite its liberal leanings, lacks. The closest one came was with Saks Fifth Ave. Men's Store Fifth Floor or Rolo.

10. tahitiantreat

tahitiantreat Member

www.archivesf.com

I find it more interesting, and quite different, than Wilkes. Yes, "avant-garde"[LK] is a good way to put it, and it certainly is dissimilar to anything else in SF.

11. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

You're probably thinking of Villains Vault. I've not been there or this Archive store, I need to check them out on of these days.

LabelKing, for a monent I thought you were talking about that horrid store, Couture or something [​IMG] Their only claim to fame is that they are right next door to Wilkes and they are always trying to leach Wilkes customers. Awful place.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

You're probably thinking of Villains Vault. I've not been there or this Archive store, I need to check them out on of these days. LabelKing, for a monent I thought you were talking about that horrid store, Couture or something [​IMG] Their only claim to fame is that they are right next door to Wilkes and they are always trying to leach Wilkes customers. Awful place.
    There used to be a progressive designer store on Maiden Lane about 15-20 years ago when I.Magnin was still a presence. The horrid Couture store I've seen-it reminds me of Chico's. I think it's only women's clothing though.

13. LA Guy

Sorry, yesm the Archive. I saw a few decent things, but wasn't all that impressed last time I was there either. It does have the distinction of being the only store of its kind in SF. In NYC or LA, it wouldn't hold a candle to the likes of Jeffrey or Maxfield, respectively.

14. southgate house

southgate house Senior member

MAC in SF carries Dries Van Noten and Margiela, but is located in Hayes Valley. It's another alternative to the fifth floor of Saks.

15. LA Guy

MAC in SF carries Dries Van Noten and Margiela, but is located in Hayes Valley. It's another alternative to the fifth floor of Saks.

I like MAC - really more my style than the Archive - the tone is considerably different, as is the stable of designers, though.